What's new

My story so far.

I'm sure there are a lot of folks here just like me. I turned 55 less than a week ago, so I am in OFT (Old Fart Territory).

I came to this forum because a friend on a music forum I hang out on started a topic in the general chit chat section about straight razors. That was less than a month ago. At the time, shaving was something to get out of the way in the morning before I started my day. I was using the Gillette Fusion system at the time and also used an expensive Braun electric shaver for travel or when I just was too lazy to shave with the Fusion razor.

In the course of that discussion about straight razors, double-edged razors also came up, which brought back some memories because I when I first started shaving in the 1970s I was using a Gillette double edge razor and blade and also used the Schick Injector system. The razor companies sold me on the convenience and "lower cost" of disposables, and I bought it hook, line, and sinker. They have been bleeding my wallet dry ever since.

Shortly after that shaving topic started it was time for me to buy more Fusion blades, so I went to Walmart and picked up an 8 pack of blades for $32. And it pissed me off. I managed to get about 7 shaves out of a Fusion blade, which was pushing it, but I could get by on an 8 pack of blades for about 2 months. Then it hit me how much money I was spending on blades that gave me a pretty decent shave but also gave me a truckload of razor burn. So I started looking into double-edge razors and blades. Wow, a box of 100 Wilkinson Sword blades could be had for about $22. So I decided to jump in and bought a Parker Pure Badger shaving brush, a shaving mug with a shaving soap puck, and a Merkur 38C long handle DE razor. Oh my was I taken with that first DE shave. I started to look forward to my morning shower and shave. Since variety is the spice of live I ordered a couple of different Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving creams. The Sandalwood is my favorite so far.

And so it begins...it wasn't too long before I found this forum and a few others. In short order I started buying more razors, brushes, and soaps. Yep, I'm afflicted with Shaving Stuff Acquisition Syndrome (SSAS). Not as snappy an acronym as RAD and what have you, but it better describes where I am at. I have six DE razors so far, and my favorite is the Muhle R41 Grande open comb razor. Paired with Feather blade, this razor gives me the best shave I have ever experienced short of a straight razor shave at a barber shop. As I explored this forum and others, and a plethora of Youtube videos, I developed a keen interest in brushes. So I ordered a Thater 4125/3. That brush came yesterday and I used it for the first time this morning with some Synergy shaving soap from How to Grow A Mustache. Good lord what a sublime shaving experience that was!

So now I have a straight razor on the way, along with a strop and some sharpening stones. In the meantime I am shaving with a Dovo shavette to work on my technique.

I think a monster has been created. :laugh: But I wanted to tell my story and thank the members here for being such a helpful resource. For me shaving has gone from something I just wanted to get out of the way to something I really look forward to and enjoy.

--Jerome

Last edited:
Welcome fellow enthusiast. So making the jump into the straights are you? I have been contemplating that myself. At least to try. Not sure I am ready for the whole honing experience but I think I'm ready to give stropping a try. I need to pick one of my straight razors I have accumulated and send it in to be honed! This site is pretty cool but watch out acquisition disorders can quickly grow!

Welcome. I think a lot of us came to same conclusions. But, somehow, I don't think I have saved any money. Thanks B & B for the RAD, I mean "hobby".

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to B&B, jsaliga. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Welcome fellow enthusiast. So making the jump into the straights are you? I have been contemplating that myself. At least to try. Not sure I am ready for the whole honing experience but I think I'm ready to give stropping a try. I need to pick one of my straight razors I have accumulated and send it in to be honed! This site is pretty cool but watch out acquisition disorders can quickly grow!

I decided to give it a go. In for a penny, in for a pound. I went for the works, and bought a strop and some honing stones. The razor I ordered is a Dovo 6/8" Bismarck. I need to find a low-cost used straight that can I use to build skills honing and stropping. Don't want to do that with a new razor.

--Jerome

Welcome to the forum. I found participating in a year long sabbatical cured my AD. Does not work for everybody though.

Welcome to the forum jsaliga! As you can see, there are a lot of people here who can relate to your story, myself included! And thanks for sharing that. Very well written.

As for the SSAD, I personally think you're right to look at it as an investment. My plan is to go ahead and go wild, buying whatever I think I want, but I always research everything before I buy it, and you'll find that someone on this forum, usually several people, have experience with the product in question and will give you an honest, thoughtful opinion. I'm pretty sure that in a year or so the wild purchasing phase will be over and then I'll just have plenty of "spice of life" that will likely last me for years. I'm sure I'll always want to pick up a nice Gillette NEW or old style razor if I happen to come across one, though.

However, some guys on this forum have never really gotten out of the wild purchasing phase, and they've amassed museums worth of razors and kits. ButI really don't hear them complaining about it, so I say to each his own. Either way, saving money or blowing it, you're gonna be happier than you were with the fusion, %100 guaranteed.

I've gotten off to a pretty brisk start. Here is where I am at now...

$ShaveGear.jpg

On the stand is a Parker Pure Badger brush and a Merkur Futur adjustable. Love them both. To the left of the stand is the Thater, which I used for the first time yesterday. The three brushes in front arrived today, from left to right are Simpson Chubby 2 in Best Badger, Muhle XL Silvertip synthetic fiber, and a Semogue 830 boar brush. I have two more brushes on the way, and I think that will satisfy my SBAD for a while.

In the front are a Muhle R89 Grande, R41 Grande (my favorite), Edwin Jagger DE89, Merkur 38C, and Parker 99R (which I did not care for).

--Jerome

What's that in the back right corner up there? :001_huh:

I'm just teasing. Really you have a very nice collection going. Much better than mine, but I'm working on it! Still, envious for now, hopefully not for long.

Top Bottom