What's new

Strong Lifts

By "5x5", do you mean five sets of five reps each? If you are going from three sets of 12 reps each, is all you have to do is increase the weight?

You talking about mark rippetoe's starting strength?

i did that formula years ago, now i focus more high reps with moderate weight. Every once in a while though, i lift heavy.

You talking about mark rippetoe's starting strength?

i did that formula years ago, now i focus more high reps with moderate weight. Every once in a while though, i lift heavy.

JMJ -

Yes, I am referring to Mark Rippetoe. There is a guy from the Netherlands (I believe) who created a smartphone app called Strong Lifts 5x5. It walks you through a minimum of 12 weeks of 5 sets of 5 reps at high weight to get stronger. I tried a similar routine a few years ago but never stuck with it. So now I am sticking with this guys app to see how it goes.

My plan is to see how it goes and keep it fresh by switching back to my 3x12 for a while. But it all depends on how the strong lifts goes.

Mretsloff - You increase the weight, do 5 sets of 5 and increase the weight every time you do the exercise. You are working out three times a week but only doing three exercises each day (5 sets of 5 with warmup sets). If you google it you will see the routine. I've been at it for about 4 weeks and it feels pretty good.

BTW MrLara - I love the picture.

YBIC
Mike

JMJ -

Yes, I am referring to Mark Rippetoe. There is a guy from the Netherlands (I believe) who created a smartphone app called Strong Lifts 5x5. It walks you through a minimum of 12 weeks of 5 sets of 5 reps at high weight to get stronger. I tried a similar routine a few years ago but never stuck with it. So now I am sticking with this guys app to see how it goes.

My plan is to see how it goes and keep it fresh by switching back to my 3x12 for a while. But it all depends on how the strong lifts goes.

BTW MrLara - I love the picture.

YBIC
Mike

Starting Strength is a very solid program. You're gonna be one strong dude when it's done.

Thank you, and good luck to you sir.

I just started following this program last week, having very recently rejoined a gym. When I've had a gym membership in the past I never focused on compound lifts, I just used the weight machines, so I've started with light weights this time as I work on getting the correct form but I've been making increases to the weight each workout as the program suggests. I'm enjoying it so far and getting a little more confident with the barbell each time but I'm having most trouble correcting my form on the deadlift, I think I arch my back too much.

JMJ -

Anyone else do strong lifts (5x5)?

YBIC
Mike

I love 5x5s. Currently I'm alternating weeks of 5x5s and weeks of 'death sets'. 4 workouts a week, focusing on one major muscle group per day.

Death Sets are sets [12,10,8,6,4,2,1] starting at a weight and adding 10lbs per drop set. For example, that'd be 175x12, 185x10, 195x8....all the way to 235x1 (for a bench press example, if you will).

I find alternating weeks of 5x5 and DSs is a good way to gain strength and mass. A real solid plateau breaker.

I just started following this program last week, having very recently rejoined a gym. When I've had a gym membership in the past I never focused on compound lifts, I just used the weight machines, so I've started with light weights this time as I work on getting the correct form but I've been making increases to the weight each workout as the program suggests. I'm enjoying it so far and getting a little more confident with the barbell each time but I'm having most trouble correcting my form on the deadlift, I think I arch my back too much.

I'm finishing my 2nd cycle of starting strength. I increased the volume for my second cycle because I wasn't gaining fast enough and it has been great. I have made huge gains from my when I started the program. If you want accessories that will help greatly I suggest:
1. Best belts lifting belt 10mm thickness (helps with intra-abdominal pressure and used as a form cue)
2. Ivanko COC-2.5kg compression collars or Lockjaw Collars
(I hated looking for collars at the gym)
3. Rehband Knee Sleeves to add knee joint warmth and circulation
4. Baseball batting weights/donuts are a great cheap way to micro load your sets if you are looking to add 2 pounds to your set.

Does your gym allow Olympic lifting? Most gyms frown on real lifting and dropping weights since they usually don't have bumper plates or platforms. Either way sounds like you are on your way to a healthier you. The other thing I would add is listen to your body to avoid unnecessary injuries.

Starting Strength (Ripptoe) and Stronglifts (Mehdi) are two different but very similar programs. Same basic exercises (squats, bench, deadlifts, overhead press) and differ the other two or three. SS uses power cleans where SL uses barbell rows. They both uses the same principle of compound exercises with progressive overloading with low reps(5) and 5 sets. The 5x5 concept is fairly common and there are several variations of the same flavor.

I am into my 5th week of SL 5x5 and so far so good. I like the app because it takes guesswork out of it. I am now getting over the "honeymoon" period where the weights are fairly easy to learn how to maintain good form and build up to higher weights. I am getting close to a first plateau with overhead press but have a ways to go on the others.

I hate gyms so I went ahead and got a basic consumer level power rack (700lbs, <$300) and a 300lbs set of Olympic weights ($300) and splurged for a pair of Reebok Oly lifter shoes ($160). I figure it is about the same as a gym membership and I have the convenience of having it in my basement, and used stuff goes pretty quick and for a decent price when I finally decide I have had enough. I also bough a set of fractional plates ($50) for when the progression starts or if I can convince SWMBO wants to try it.

Once the progression stops or 5x5 isn't working anymore, Ripptoe has an advanced program, and SL has different options or you can try Madcows 5x5 as well.

I had some good advice many moons ago regarding good form on deadlift. Feet shoulder width or so apart, squat down, back straight and the nugget of advice that's always stuck with me is to look up toward the ceiling all the way through the lift. It really does help keep the back straight, then roll your hips underneath you and finish the lift. Also, like another said if your gym frowns upon dropping the weight after the lift, do the same for the downward motion. I see guys keep good form on the way up, then pay no mind to the return motion. You'll do just as much damage that way as the lift.

I started the 5x5 a while back, and liked it. But stopped going to the gym for a variety of reasons. I'd like to start going to the gym again and restart the 5x5 program, but I have moved and my new gym doesn't have the same equipment. I used to be able to do the whole 5x5 at one station. Now I have to go all over the place to do everything and I have to wait for stations too much. It's a pain.

The gym is going to soon remodel and add equipment, so I hope they get some stuff to make this easier for me to restart this program.

I started the 5x5 a while back, and liked it. But stopped going to the gym for a variety of reasons. I'd like to start going to the gym again and restart the 5x5 program, but I have moved and my new gym doesn't have the same equipment. I used to be able to do the whole 5x5 at one station. Now I have to go all over the place to do everything and I have to wait for stations too much. It's a pain.

The gym is going to soon remodel and add equipment, so I hope they get some stuff to make this easier for me to restart this program.

if you have room to build a gym you can score some amazing deals on craigslist. It's funny because I got into shaving accessories from a bodybuilding forum and here you guys have a fitness section.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 83
if you have room to build a gym you can score some amazing deals on craigslist.
I've been considering that. I have room in the garage. I've searched a bit, but it's confusing. Unless it looks exactly like what I've used before, I don't know if it's what I need.

It's pretty straightforward.

You'll need a power rack if you plan on doing it without spotters, anything else will be unsafe.
A 7' Olympic Bar
Probably at least 255lbs of plates (that gets you all the combinations you need up to 300lbs total). Iron or bumper if you plan on dropping them or doing Crossfit. I have 2x45, 4x25,4x10,4x5,2x2.5
Optional fractional weights if you want or get to the point where you want to add <5lbs at a time
A straight bench (incline is optional for exercises after 5x5)
A 4" belt
Heavy rubber flooring
Weightlifting shoes (optional, but I noticed they make a difference)

Here's the power rack I ordered http://fitnessavenue.ca/item.php?id=581, I am in Canada and the shipping ended up being only $60 so it was well worth it. Nothing came close at the local fitness store.

It's pretty basic and won't stand up to a lot of abuse, but it is cheap and I don't plan on doing 500lb squats anyways. Amazon has power racks (I would bother with "squat stands") for as low as $250, and there are lot of places online or local that should carry Olympic weight sets (I got mine, 255lbs of plates + 45lb bar) for $300. Craigslist might be your best bet because shipping 300lbs might coast a vital organ unless you have Amazon Prime and a bench is pretty basic and should be able to get one locally on C-list or Amazon.

Last edited:
My wife and I did ICF last year with great results, another similar 5x5, we were getting ready for a marathon and half marathon and switched to the cut version when for me I couldn't keep up with my runs and squatting that much (I was up to 350 with good form and getting near parallel). Eventually we were stalling in the same places and the volume became a bit much so we moved to intermediate programs. I think SL or Fierce 5 are both pretty good programs looking back and if you stick to it you should make a lot of progress fast but don't neglect your diet. If your goal is to bulk and gain mass, do it right, figure your macros and caloric intake and as a beginner (or as someone getting back into it) you will also shed the fat too.

My tuff stuff cage, 300lbs of weights, tuff stuff bench, and 7 ft barbell came in at a whopping $250 off craigslist. I sold the bench for $100 and bought a used Icarian flat bench for $90, that bench retails for $300 or more I think. Add some horse stall mats for like $60 and your in business.

Squats
Bench Press
Deadlifts
Overhead Press
Power Cleans
Barbell Rows
Pullups
Curls

I'm finishing my 2nd cycle of starting strength. I increased the volume for my second cycle because I wasn't gaining fast enough and it has been great. I have made huge gains from my when I started the program. If you want accessories that will help greatly I suggest:
1. Best belts lifting belt 10mm thickness (helps with intra-abdominal pressure and used as a form cue)
2. Ivanko COC-2.5kg compression collars or Lockjaw Collars
(I hated looking for collars at the gym)
3. Rehband Knee Sleeves to add knee joint warmth and circulation
4. Baseball batting weights/donuts are a great cheap way to micro load your sets if you are looking to add 2 pounds to your set.

Does your gym allow Olympic lifting? Most gyms frown on real lifting and dropping weights since they usually don't have bumper plates or platforms. Either way sounds like you are on your way to a healthier you. The other thing I would add is listen to your body to avoid unnecessary injuries.

I had some good advice many moons ago regarding good form on deadlift. Feet shoulder width or so apart, squat down, back straight and the nugget of advice that's always stuck with me is to look up toward the ceiling all the way through the lift. It really does help keep the back straight, then roll your hips underneath you and finish the lift. Also, like another said if your gym frowns upon dropping the weight after the lift, do the same for the downward motion. I see guys keep good form on the way up, then pay no mind to the return motion. You'll do just as much damage that way as the lift.

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ll definitely heed it next time I’m back in the gym. Today was a deadlift day and I was unconvinced of my form again. I think I may have to stop adding weight to the bar until I’m sure of my form to prevent doing myself an injury.

Which muscles should most feel like they are being worked by the deadlift? I feel it most in my lower back but I’m not sure if that’s a result of poor form and arching my back. My lower back is slightly aching even now, a few hours after the gym.

They seem to be pretty laid back at my gym but I think dropping the weights would be frowned upon. There are no bumper plates or platforms. I’ve watched a few other guys on the deadlift and although they let the weight hit the floor quite heavily they don’t drop the bar.

Top Bottom