What's new

Vintage blade collectors club

Taipei Personality, I would be glad to have what vintage blades you plan on getting rid of. Feel free to pm me for my address. And thank you.

The guys over in the general forum suggested you may find this interesting so here you are [emoji4]

My father in law used to have an old country store, and LOTH just found an old jar full of these, I don't know anything about them, but it was a pretty cool find! (sorry about the flipped image, not sure why?)

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419218222.594568.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find Canuckle, I've not seen a couple of those blades before. I wouldn't recommend using them, but they will display nice! Congratulations!!!

$WIN_20141222_142158.jpg
Found these in a bag at a garage sale! The ones with no boxes next to the Sportsman blades are AMC, then Silver Leaf, and finally Probak Juniors at the end.

Last edited:
Those GEM blades look like they might be an old Service Pack from WWII. If they are, it will say so on the short sides. I've got a couple of boxes like them. Cool!!!

Hello all, I just wanted to post a photo of the blades that Taipei Personality PIFed to me. Your kindness is much appreciated sir. There were a number of blades I didn't have in that bunch. Here's the photo-
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419879218.499287.jpg

Hi all,

Want to share a photo of blades I bought few months ago. I think they are special, because I think they are fake:

$fake.jpg

and these are genuine (photo from mr-razor):

$1960s 5 Silver Gillette Bleue France.jpg

I do not think Gillette could produce a blade without R symbol (registered trademark) near the Gillette name - and there is no this sign on the blade itself. There are more differencies like different letter placements, different fonts.

It is a mystery for me why someone needs to fake blades and sell them for almost nothing. Any ideas or knowledge would be appreciated :)

P.s. Now I have an idea - they were made in USSR. Back in 1960 there were no Gillette blades, so they had to be more expensive than local production. And sure much better...

Last edited:
They seem slightly different to me too Gytus. It looks like they have the Boston plant listed on the tuck. We're they implying they were made in the USA? Whatever the scoop, you've got a good eye for noticing the differences. Good call sir!

They seem slightly different to me too Gytus. It looks like they have the Boston plant listed on the tuck. We're they implying they were made in the USA? Whatever the scoop, you've got a good eye for noticing the differences. Good call sir!
Thank you! I think it is reffered to Gillettes Boston headquarters. The original blades were made in France, back in 1960. I found them in flee marked here in Vilnius.

Hello all, I just received via courier two display cards of Canadian Gillette Blue Blades. I haven't dated them yet, however I suspect they are from the mid 1960's. I got them from a seller in Ontario Canada. I think I'll put one card on display, and use one card for shaving. My experience with the Canadian blades has been good in the past, so I think I will be happy with the shaves I get from these. Here's the photo-
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426281764.307577.jpg
Have a good day men.

Good Evening men, I just wanted to update my previous post about the Canadian Gillette Blue Blades, the date code indicates 1965, and their condition is excellent, however they are much thinner than the same blades from the 1950's. In fact they are so thin, when I install them in a TTO razor, they buckle on one side, and after I shave I have to pry the blade out of the razor. I've never experienced this phenomenon before. They work well in the three piece razors though. I wonder if they are culls from the Montreal plant that somehow made it to ebay. I'll probably never know though.

... In fact they are so thin, when I install them in a TTO razor, they buckle on one side, and after I shave I have to pry the blade out of the razor (snippet).

The last time that I had that happen with a carbon blade I happened to notice that my the cap of my razor (NI) was very slightly bent on one side where someone had once dropped it. The odd thing is that it was not noticeable with a stainless blade. Just suggesting that might be a cause.

I'm trying to attach a couple of photos here... I received these with a vintage razor I purchased recently. I don't want to be accused of a PIF/threadjack...but if any of you guys would be interested in this little box of razor blades, I'd be glad to send them your way. I'd rather give these to someone who doesn't already have some (and if you're OCONUS I'd like to make sure the shipping isn't too much). But if there's someone in this thread who would like to have these, I'd like to send them along. PM me.
:001_smile

Attachments

• $Don Juan 2.jpg
    $Don Juan 2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 139
  • $Don Juan Box.jpg
    $Don Juan Box.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 139
That is a wonderful gesture sir, I already have a box, but someone else might like to have them. God Bless You for your kind act againstthegrain!!!

Early Morning, thanks for the heads up, I examined the razor, and it seems fine to me, so I tried another TTO, and the blade did the same thing. It seems there is something wrong with these blades, but they look fine to me too. I don't know what to think. I used two different blades in two different razors with the same results. Both of the blades were from the same tuck. Maybe I should try a different tuck.

I'm trying to attach a couple of photos here... I received these with a vintage razor I purchased recently. I don't want to be accused of a PIF/threadjack...but if any of you guys would be interested in this little box of razor blades, I'd be glad to send them your way. I'd rather give these to someone who doesn't already have some (and if you're OCONUS I'd like to make sure the shipping isn't too much). But if there's someone in this thread who would like to have these, I'd like to send them along. PM me.
:001_smile

I'll gladly take those off your hands, sir!

A coworker had these in a #2 mayonnaise jar kept on Funk & Wagnall's porch. :001_smile

Seriously, he had them in a baby food jar in his workshop for years. Since they're not SE blades, they're not of much use in a workshop.

I've seen PAL Hollow Ground from time to time, haven't seen many of these Precision Ground. As far as I can tell they're late 40s, early 50s vintage. I used one for a number of shaves and it was quite comfortable.

Top Bottom