What's new

Vintage blade collectors club

La Reine des Lames (The Queen of Blades) manufactured by Jacques LeCoultre & Co., S.A. of Le Sentier, Switzerland, in 1950. The blades were originally included with the Jubilé-LeCoultre box-set.

This box of La Reine des Lames was included in a little package containing a Philite* razor and some paperwork. It was released in 1950 to commemorate the founding of Jacques LeCoultre & Cie, S.A., in 1825.** The paperwork indicates it was produced by Jacques' descendants. Without getting into genealogy, it is difficult to say how exactly they were related to the famous watch making family associated with the Jaeger-LeCoultre name (also of Le Sentier).

LeCoultre once made music boxes, watch cases, straight razors and other sundry items. They started making razor blades and double edge razors in 1918. Their double edge razors were probably the first that were made in Switzerland, and they are distinguishable from other Swiss DE razors insofar as they tend to look more similar to Gillette OTs--with deeply notched teeth. This design was copied by other Swiss manufacturers such as H. Ackermann, Helvetia, Rasofin and Rasex, et cetera.

What is interesting about these particular blades is that they are made of what appears to be stainless steel, and the steel is very springy. It is known that LeCoultre used English steel (Sheffield?) for their older frame-back straights. Perhaps they used this same steel when they began making DE blades back in 1918?

*The razor was produced for LeCoultre & Co without any logo. Philite is mentioned in the paperwork.
**Jacques LeCoultre & Cie, S.A was used much later. LeCoultre changed their name many times.

The photo of the blade was rendered in black and white because of the intense glare caused by nearby incandescent lighting.

View attachment 522827

View attachment 522826
Fascinating history, and an excellent post! Anyone out there ever seen any of these Swiss razors...? I'd bet the build quality is superior.

Hello men, I just now noticed this thread, and have subscribed. While I like, and collect some vintage blades, my collection is very small. However, I do have a few interesting blade packs I would like to show everyone. I would also like to add, that I use Gillette Blue Blades as a regular blade, and I dread the day when I can no longer find them. They are getting harder and harder to acquire. Anyway, here's the photos of some of my favorite blades. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417210386.514836.jpg

These blades were a PIF from Dr. Awkward, which I chose to collect rather than use and write a review about. Sorry Ed, but they are much appreciated!$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417210740.036206.jpg

And these are a Christmas carton from 1941 fourth quarter. These were sold as 10 blade packs and I have the 10 pack carton. I think it's really cool to have such a large amount of the last blades produced for the civilian market before WWII. I will be using one of these on Pearl Harbor Day in honor of those brave and fearless men who fought for us that war. Here's the pic-$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417211114.064608.jpg

And these are a Christmas carton from 1941 fourth quarter. These were sold as 10 blade packs and I have the 10 pack carton. I think it's really cool to have such a large amount of the last blades produced for the civilian market before WWII. I will be using one of these on Pearl Harbor Day in honor of those brave and fearless men who fought for us that war. Here's the pic-View attachment 523999
Those would be really cool to use in a Gillette Ranger Tech. They were made for the 1941 Christmas market and were discontinued after the war broke out. It a really great shaver.

proxy.php

Hello Doc! If you are certain you want to part with them, I will gladly accept! And thank you for your kind offer sir. If you are interested in trying some of my vintage Gillette Blue Blades, or some Red and Black Gillette Thin Blades, please let me know, and I will foreward them to you as well. I also have some Blue Blade Gillettes from England coming in the mail from New Zealand 1950's vintage I think, I would be glad to send you a couple of tucks of them too. I think they are about two weeks out though. It's good to hear from you again sir, PM me if you are interested Dr Awkward, and I will soon answer. Take care my friend, and have a good night.

Hello Doc! If you are certain you want to part with them, I will gladly accept! And thank you for your kind offer sir. If you are interested in trying some of my vintage Gillette Blue Blades, or some Red and Black Gillette Thin Blades, please let me know, and I will foreward them to you as well. I also have some Blue Blade Gillettes from England coming in the mail from New Zealand 1950's vintage I think, I would be glad to send you a couple of tucks of them too. I think they are about two weeks out though. It's good to hear from you again sir, PM me if you are interested Dr Awkward, and I will soon answer. Take care my friend, and have a good night.

More will be sent, Alan. That way you can have your cake and eat it too, so to speak.
Those Doctor's blades are intriguing marketing, especially considering the current popularity of Personna Med Preps. And I think it is very interesting that Rubie was originally an Otto Roth brand that Gillette still uses today!

I just got these in a lot from ebay. They are still wrapped in cellophane but it is cracked enough that I could pull out a package to see what was inside. The seller stated that there was 5 blades but there was actually 5 packs of 10 blades each. :blink: I looked but was unable to find anything about these. Does anybody have any info?

Click the image to be taken to source and then click it again for a larger picture.
In the cello

Front of the package

Back of the package. The left side has a tab that folds into the right side.

The blades from 1 package

Front and back of the blade. They all seem to have small spots of rust here and there. I did not remove any other packages to check.

Hello all, I just wanted to post a couple of recent acquisitions of vintage blades. The first is of a carton of 1949 Blue Gillette Blades from England. I bought these from a seller in New Zealand. Unfortunately, time and climate have taken their toll on these blades, as more than half of the blades I have opened were rusted and unserviceable. They appear fine on the outside though, so I may just use them for display purposes only, even though I bought them to shave with. Here's the first photo-
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418597844.758035.jpg
Next is a group of blades that were PIFed to me from Dr Awkward. His generosity is much appreciated. I plan on shaving with the Swing40 blades, the Rotbart blades, and the Gillette Stainless Steel blades. Here's a photo-
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418598074.457137.jpg
And part of those blades from Dr Awkward were these two vintage blades, I I'm curious to know if anyone can tell me if the white razor wrapper is an early Croma? Here's that photo too-$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418598254.357086.jpg
Thanks for any input men, have a good night.

Gentlemen,

I purchased a lot of vintage blades from eBay in order to get some pattern blades to modify modern blades for my Segal razor. I have other vintage blades that I'll never use. Are they of interest to anyone or should I toss them? I'd be happy to PIF them to anyone that can use them to add to or start their collection.

$DSCN0919.jpg

Top Bottom