What's new

Strop or hone

Salutations gentlebeings

A few years back (4-5) my loving wife gave me a Dovo straight and accompanying strop of same brand. I've used it perhaps a handfull times, stropping each time.

After I took the real plunge into traditional shaving, I've come to understand that most straights are not necessarily shave ready from the factory. Paying as much attention as possible while shaving I do not believe that it is as sharp as should be.

Having recently aquired a better strop, my question is: can I make a shave-worthy edge with just a strop?

Practically: no. A razor needs to be honed before stropping affects the edge.

Technically: maybe, but it would take so long, it would be like watching rock erode under a stream of water.

Not sure how much honing costs over your side of the North Sea, but I think it is a worthwhile investment since you will get back a 100% shave ready razor. That way if it is a bad shave you know it is your technique not the razor.

If you can get your hands on some crOx, you could rub it on the linen side of your old strop and that would likely restore your edge.
The Dovo I got new did not come fully shave ready, but it was close. It did not have to be honed. CrOx (Chromium Oxide) did the trick.

But then again, I agree with the post above. If you find someone local that can do a quick hone job adjustment without too much hassle, you would not have to worry about it. And here we are not talking about honing an old rusty wedge pulled from an abandoned barn, a quick adjustment like that takes minutes as there should not be any bevel work.

Thanks for the advice Gents. I'm not really sure there are any possibilities for getting honing done here. What are the odds I'll ruin an innocent razor by getting a hone and go at it myself?

Strop. Assuming the edge has been protected from atmospheric damage or lingering soap scum after you used it, most Dovo straights from the factory can be brought to shave-readiness with a Solingen pasted loom or paddle strop. Hit it on the pasted side in 10-lap increments until it's passing the hair-test, then wipe it gently and carefully with a soft cloth to remove any residual paste on the blade, and move to the plain leather side. Pretty fool-proof if you know how to strop.

Last edited:
I forgot about a pasted strop. I think it could produce a shave-ready edge, as long as the razor isn't too dull.

New to this Forum. I bought a nice French TI razor back in the late 80's. Without the internet and and instructive forums like this i cut the hell out of my face a few times. Defeated, I sadly put the weapon away in a safe place. The over the years I have kept the blade in decent condition and recently pulled it out for a try after viewing a few tutorials. The strop that i originally purchased went to hell through neglect so I pulled out a 12,000 grit superstone and worked the edge. After 15 years in the drawer, I shaved this morning with the blade and I was very happy with the results. Nice shave (I'd give it a B) with no nicks or cuts. Here is my question...do I need a strop or should I just use the stone to keep the edge.

Stuart, congrats on re-discovering your nice TI razor.
You need a strop. Period.
Get a cheap one to practice on. Perhaps a whipped dog.
After six months, get a nice one. Perhaps a Tony Miller or such.
It took a couple dozen shaves for me to learn proper stropping.
Watch the videos.
Use your 12k hone for touch ups.
But send the razor to one of the honemeisters once a year, depending on use.

Or, if you're in a hurry, I've read here that you can use a folded newspaper as a temporary substitute while you wait for a new strop. Perhaps someone will chime in with technique?

Take a full sheet of newspaper, fold it into a 3" wide strip, pass one end over a towel bar. Pinch the two ends together and pull taut. Slide the razor up the strop with the spine leading. Keeping the spine on the strop, rotate the edge out until the razor has flipped over and the spine is facing back down the strop. Now slide the razor down the strop. This is one "lap" --up and back. Repeat 40-60 times. Do this before every shave. A few laps (10 or so) after every shave can help get the edge completely dry and help prevent corrosion, especially once you start using a leather strop as a tiny amount of oil will coat the blade from the strop.

Wow, never knew you could use a newspaper like that.

I'm going to have to step up my search for someone close by to help out with my straight. Having not shaved with a properly honed straight, I feel like I'm missing out big time.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
A nice pic of your Dovo straight'n'strop would always be welcome here. We like pictures :001_smile

Try stropping 50-100 (I strop 50 on leather post-shave) both before and after shaving to see if that brings the edge back up for you. If that doesn't cut it, you might want to look at a 10k or 12k stone, or a second strop for some crox or TI white paste. I can't get a good edge from a coticule (user error, not the fault of the half dozen I have had), so I cannot say to buy a coti.... but others can :tongue_sm

Finding someone local enough (i.e. avoiding customs charges) to hone your razor at a reasonable price would be a great option until you figure out honing on your own.

Last edited:
Top Bottom