What's new

gifting a synthetic to a badger user

A couple of years ago I bought this for my dad:
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com/vulfix-2273-travel-shaving-brush-in-super-badger/

He says it's quite worn from use, so I want to get him a replacement. He was very happy with that brush (and it's the same one I have been using for 3+ years, but mine is not worn, probably because I don't shave daily, more like 2-3 times a week).

Because of the awareness of where badger hair comes from, I want to get him a synthetic, most likely this one:
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com/muhle-39k257-silvertip-fiber/

Do you guys think he will like it as much or would I be better off just getting him the same badger brush since I know he likes it?

Thanks for any insights. I would like to make the purchase with the next day since I'm out of blades and would like to use this chance to save on shipping.

I'd suggest The Grooming Company synthetic they sell at bullgoose. It gets great reviews and gets compared to the Plisson.....which is a fantastic brush

I'd recommend a Black fibre Muhle with a nice handle. I have both STF and black fibre and for the money the BF is a fantastic brush. It makes lather really well, has good flow through. Really nice and easy on the face. Dries in minutes too.

I'd recommend a Black fibre Muhle with a nice handle. I have both STF and black fibre and for the money the BF is a fantastic brush. It makes lather really well, has good flow through. Really nice and easy on the face. Dries in minutes too.

Do you have the STF v1 or v2?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I had a V2 and it was too springy for my taste. It seemed like it would rather flop than splay if that makes sense. I prefer the Black Fiber also.

I like the STF V2.0 a lot; I get splay, not sure what's going on with the "flop". Perhaps knot size is at issue. That said, there's no telling if a badger-lover would like it. It's quite different in terms of how it builds lather, how water has to be added (much more slowly) since the fibers don't hold onto nearly as much water. It also won't hold heat like a badger, which may or may not be an issue.

Sorry I can't predict what your dad will like, because they *are* different. They're not different in such a way that one is clearly better. There are trade-offs, and what trade-offs someone else will prefer, quien sabe? Certainly it's safer to give him something you know he likes. But then, it seems to go against your conscience... which means the synthetic will always make sense.

Let us know what you decide, and if you decide on a different brush, how he likes it. (After a week or two!)

Muhle STF XL, yes the $100 one with a 25mm knot. It is the most comparable knot to a badger in my experience. The smaller knots have less density and need a lot of pressure for splay.

That or one of the black fiber Muhles or a Grooming company which I do not have. Good luck on getting what your dad will enjoy.

Is it his awareness of the badger's provenance that is troubling, or yours?

If his -- get him one of the recommended synthetics.

If yours, get him what he likes and don't trouble him with your sensitivity.

Is it his awareness of the badger's provenance that is troubling, or yours?

If his -- get him one of the recommended synthetics.

If yours, get him what he likes and don't trouble him with your sensitivity.

It's definitely only my sensitivity.

The problem is I don't have experience with synthetics. I plan to try a synthetic next and if I don't like it, I may still switch to badger brushes. I tried that, e.g., with shoes. I found that vegan shoes don't do well with my feet that sweat a lot; leather does much better. But with wallets, I seem to have found a vegan one that works.

So, if I had prior experience with these brushes, I would feel much more comfortable deciding what to do. But with no experience, I would rather not give him something that doesn't work as well. I have noticed many people say they actually prefer the way a synthetic works, but that observation does not seem to be unanimous or even necessarily the majority.

Top Bottom