What's new

Cracked Handle question

Yup, it happened. I have been bitten by the oc bug. It started off innocently enough, with a nice Gillette senator that I found tucked away in an antique shop. I only use de's sparingly, but that baby has jumped to the first choice for me when I do reach for one. So of course, no Gillette collection is complete without at least a couple of three piece oc's right? I now have two old types to throw in the mix. And this is where my question comes in. Both of them have a crack in the handle. From what I understand, this is a common issue. My question is, will these be ok to shave with? I have already toyed with the idea of getting a ss handle for the two of them, and probably will at some point. I just want to make sure that I'm not going to make these cracks any worse by exposing them to water. Thanks in advance for the advice gents!

As long as the razor is tight and the head doesn't spin you're good to go. If the crack is too big you can always repair it, or replace the handle.
Most of the time, small cracks are stable and you can perfectly use the handle.

Great to hear! The old type from my khaki set only has one small crack near the ball end. The other (picked up today) has cracks on either side of the shaft and what looks like a spot weld where it was repaired previously.

There's a thread somewhere in here that has a tutorial on crack repair. If you're anal (like me), then all your keepers will get this treatment.

Top Bottom