What's new

Northern and Southern Foods

This is how they build a sandwich in Cleveland:
$13420.jpg

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
A term used exclusively in Rhode Island. It's a milkshake. But for some reason, those outcasts call it a cabinet. Rhode Island has its own dialect. A gentleman named Don Bousquet actually wrote a book called "The Rhode Island Dictionary" to describe some of these things.

Hirsute also pointed out the "stuffy." Which is a Quahog stuffed with bread, celery, spices and clams.

There is also the "Gagga" (gagger) which is a hot dog, usually with mustard, onions, and celery salt.

There are many more I can't think of at the moment.

Yep, BubblesTGB is correct. When I lived in Lil Rhody I made the mistake of ordering a milkshake. Awesome. Just milk and syrup, no ice cream. I was told what I should have ordered was a cabinet. Then, I'm in Boston and order a cabinet. Everyone looks at me like I'm a Yankees fan, so I say, you know, like a milkshake? Great. Repeat of milk and syrup with no icecream. Oh, they tell me, you want a frappe. Come on!

Oh, and here's another one for you: getting a creamie = going out for a softserve icecream cone. Still can't ask for a creamie without giggling.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Which deli is that?

I'm guessing Slyman's (SP?) on the near East Side .. been awhile but recall that they put an extra slice of bread on one of their CB monsters. Nothing that size hereabouts, but this thread will have me on the hunt for one on the morrow.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm guessing Slyman's (SP?) on the near East Side .. been awhile but recall that they put an extra slice of bread on one of their CB monsters. Nothing that size hereabouts, but this thread will have me on the hunt for one on the morrow.

Yep that's Slymans. On St Claire and E31

Cool, I will check it out when I visit. I used to always hit a deli downtown. If you walked out of the Terminal Tower and went toward the Old Stone Church it was about halfway between. I noticed on google maps that that area is a parking lot now.

Fried Walleye, homemade Bratwurst, and cheese curds - preferably fried. I miss my Granny's in WI.

FYI, there is a lot going on in this thread and I travel with my occupation. Just some observations.

- All regional BBQ is good, just different. From KC to NC to Texas is all tasty and I will not turn any of them away if prepared correctly.
- Al's or Mr. Beef hands down is better than Portillos, but Portillo's and Lou Malnati's Pizza will ship overnight in a pinch.
- SOS and B&G are completely different, tasty animals.
- I just traveled to Japan a couple of weeks ago and the sushi is very good and the wasabi/picked ginger is amazing, but their beef is some of the best I've ever had - both raw and cooked.
- Am I the only one who grew up and loves fried SPAM? ... and not the kind you get in email.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Have we touched upon Hushpuppies?

View attachment 510971

Good question.

The first recorded reference to the word "hush-puppy" dates to 1899.
Hushpuppies are a food with strong ties to the Southern United States, although they are available in many areas of the United States on the menus of deep fried fish restaurants. The name "hushpuppies" is often attributed to hunters, fishermen, or other cooks who would fry some basic cornmeal mixture (possibly that they had beenbread-coating or battering their own food with) and feed it to their dogs to "hush the puppies" during cook-outs or fish-fries.[SUP][4][/SUP]
Other hush puppy legends purport to date the etymology of the term "hushpuppies" to the Civil War, in which soldiers are claimed to have tossed fried cornbread to quell the barks of Confederate dogs.
-wikipedia

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
How about some Texas BBQ?
Is it Northern, Southern, or both?
Cooked using the little pit that fits onto the receiver 'hitch' on the back of my truck. I posted this on the thin blue smoke thread but wanted to add it here too.
Wonderful little pit.
We did eight 2" thick ribs and two 3/4 " tenderloin steaks. Ribeyes and New York Strips have more flavor but the tenderloin is much more tender
Strictly my opinion of course!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Southern Texas????
Was wondering
is it a Texas thing to BBQ with mesquite, a south Texas thing, or a U.S. thing? I just don't know!

Well Mesquite doesn't grow in Montana(or northEast Texas)so I would say yeah, definitely a southern south Texas thing.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I might say southwestern. Much of the south uses hickory, where as we use mesquite. Resources determine the differences.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
how about some texas bbq?
Is it northern, southern, or both?
Cooked using the little pit that fits onto the receiver 'hitch' on the back of my truck. I posted this on the thin blue smoke thread but wanted to add it here too.
Wonderful little pit.
We did eight 2" thick ribs and two 3/4 " tenderloin steaks. Ribeyes and new york strips have more flavor but the tenderloin is much more tender
strictly my opinion of course!
M:
Awesome BBQ and pit! :drool:

Just a few questions...did you;

a) Use any rub?

b) Use any wood [pecan, oak or hickory]?

b) Finish your BBQ 'smothered' with a South Texas style (?), molasses-based sauce to help keep the meat very moist or did you serve it 'on-the-side'
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Barbecue isn't about finding yourself. Barbecue is about creating yourself”. George Bernard Shaw

PS Can you post some more pics of your truck-pit "that fits onto the receiver 'hitch' on the back of [your] truck" (I'm still trying to get a 'visual' of how this pit looks, fits and how you made it)?
proxy.php

Last edited:
How about the differences in constructing a basic Italian Sub? (Hogie, grinder...)

Growing up in NY and NJ, an Italian sub had the traditional meats and cheeses -- bologna, salami, hot ham, provolone, and SLICED veggies (tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.) Usually topped with oil, vinegar, oregano, maybe hot pepper relish... Delicious, easy to eat, not too messy.

When I moved to New England, I found they do it differently (and imho, stupidly) -- same meats, but the veggies are CHOPPED and placed on top. So when you try to take a bite, all the veggies EXPLODE out of the freakin' roll and you end up having to finish up with a fork or spoon. I mean, it's still delicious, but what kind of idiot decided THAT construction technique was a good idea?
Now, don't get me wrong -- I've been a new englander for 40 years, and I love most of the traditional New England foods -- but I cannot figure out this particular NE logic.

(And don't get me started on their weird idea of putting mayo on an Italian. That makes me think stabby thoughts.)

Does "sandwich architecture" change like that anywhere else ion the country?

Subs are not only different from region to region but neighborhood to neighborhood.

Grinder, Hoagie or Sub they are all delicious when quality ingredients are used.

Subway is not high on my list but will do when that's the only Sub around.

I like a base of Salami and Pepperoni and Provolone.

From there you can add ham or mortadella or cappicola.

I prefer the lettuce to be shredded head lettuce.

I like some onions and tomato as well.

Then you can add just oil and spices or oil and vinegar.

One must add salt pepper and oregano.

There is Jersey Mikes and as chain subs go I like them.
Get an Italian Mikes way and add pepper relish and banana peppers and I'm good to go.

In Chicago you have Captain Nemo's. Always love there Italian, Italian Beef and Mamas soup, both split pea and minestrone.

In Philly they have a shop that has some really good subs on great seeded bread and really good varieties of Italian meets.

So after all that, I really agree that I love a good Italian sub.

But I have to say that the Corned Beef sandwich looks really good in the next post. I like a good pastrami as well.

Add a bowl of Matzo Ball soup and I'm a happy man.

Top Bottom