What's new

Northern and Southern Foods

I can't get poutine out of my mind. Sometimes you northern boys can come up with some good stuff.

Poutine is great. Fortunately I live right near Manchester, NH which has a very large French-Canadian population and influence. Poutine is common at many restaurants. (Thankfully we don't have that nasty McDonalds version though.)
Chez Vachon is considered THE place to go for the best poutine. It is so popular that a couple of years ago after a fire damaged a significant part of the restaurant, many people in the community showed up at the door the next day to volunteer their time for the repairs and reconstruction.

From their website (http://chezvachon.com/menu/lunch):
Poutine
A plate of french fries, topped with curd cheese covered with spicy chicken gravy. Choose plain or one of our many fillings. May substitute our homemade spaghetti sauce or beef gravy.

Appetizer Poutine $4.29
Add Veg $0.29 ea . Add Meat $1.29 . Add Steak $2.29

Original reg $7.49 large $8.99

Vegetable $8.49 $9.99
Mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, spinach, Black olives, spinach, Jalapenos, banana peppers, broccoli, or peas

Meat $9.49 $10.99
Choice of hamburger**, hot dog, Italian Sausage, turkey, bacon, link sausage, kielbasa, ham, or chicken tender. Add $1.00 for hamsteak, smoked meat**. Add $2.50 for Steak Tips

The Grand Poutine $23.99
5lbs of Poutine! Share with a group or Ask your server about the Challenge if you dare!
Add Veg 1lb. $4.99 . Add Meat 1lb. $7.99 . Add Steak Tips 1lb. $12.99

The 5lb "challenge" Poutine:
$poutine.jpg

:blink: Really!!!

Well, then the rest of the world doesn't know what their missing. :biggrin:

proxy.php

That olive spread looks good. What is it, green olives, pimentos, and cream cheese?

While I'm asking, is it really true that banana pudding is unknown in Michigan? Reason I ask, many years ago a Michigan couple attended a potluck dinner in my hometown. While going through the line, they both paused and pondered over the pudding. Finally, after poking around in it with the spoon, the lady exclaimed loudly, "Why, it is bananas, in some kind of pudding mixture!"

I've often thought of that over the years. I have never been able to figure out whether they were genuinely unfamiliar with banana pudding, or whether they were poking some sort of strange fun at us poor yokels. Or maybe they were just nutty.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
What's banana pudding? I'm a Michigander by decades courtesy of our Uncle Henry, a Buckeye by birth, but the only thing I can think of being banana pudding is jello with nana slices? So color me yokel, but never heard of olive burgers either until here

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
What's banana pudding? I'm a Michigander by decades courtesy of our Uncle Henry, a Buckeye by birth, but the only thing I can think of being banana pudding is jello with nana slices? So color me yokel, but never heard of olive burgers either until here
Most add vanilla wafers to the mix- I hate those.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Homemade banana puddn' is out of this world. The Nilla Waffers in there is the best part.

....also, did you ever hear of Frito Pie before here?

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
That olive spread looks good. What is it, green olives, pimentos, and cream cheese?

While I'm asking, is it really true that banana pudding is unknown in Michigan? Reason I ask, many years ago a Michigan couple attended a potluck dinner in my hometown. While going through the line, they both paused and pondered over the pudding. Finally, after poking around in it with the spoon, the lady exclaimed loudly, "Why, it is bananas, in some kind of pudding mixture!"

I've often thought of that over the years. I have never been able to figure out whether they were genuinely unfamiliar with banana pudding, or whether they were poking some sort of strange fun at us poor yokels. Or maybe they were just nutty.

For the Olive Burgers, just slice up some pimento stuffed olives and mix with some mayonnaise, pile it on the burger along with some lettuce and tomato.

I think the olive burgers may have got their start at some local restaurant, such as Kewpies.

I've lived in Michigan my whole (getting to be long) life and there's always been banana pudding and banana cream pies around at family gathering. I'm just not much of a fan of it.

Last edited:
I think the olive burgers may have got their start at some local restaurant, such as Kewpies.

From research over the years it appears that there's some debate about whether they originated in the Grand Rapids area or Lansing. In any event, there's a lot of places to get one in the Lansing area: Kewpee's (they claim to be the oldest restaurant in the city); Olympic Broil; Nip n' Sip; Harry's Place, Dagwood's Bar are a few who have what are regarded as the best. Kewpee's used to have a location on the South Side but it's now Zeus' and their olive burger is more like olives added but not a proper "olive sauce".

Even chains like A&W and Rally's (Checker's) have "local favorites" which include olive burgers.

When the South Side Kewpee's was open that was my #1. Nowadays it's Olympic Broil. They're near the airport where I work and a combo is like $5 something; way better than McD's, etc.

Last edited:
As a native Hoosier, I need to point out a certain pork sandwich that doesn't get much love: The Tenderloin. Every time I make it back to Indianapolis for the 500, I always get a tenderloin before the race.

Oh, and Mug-N-Bun brews their own root beer, which is supposedly amazing! I'll have to try it this May!

proxy.php

Homemade banana puddn' is out of this world. The Nilla Waffers in there is the best part.

....also, did you ever hear of Frito Pie before here?
I add sweetened condensed milk and cream cheese to the pudding, then fold in whipped cream to fluff it up a little. Banana pudding must have Nilla Wafers.

The one practice that I do not understand with banana pudding, and it seems to be a growing minority that do this, is omitting bananas entirely.

IMO that isn't banana pudding, it is just pudding with vanilla wafers. Tasty, but it ain't banana pudding.

One Midwestern food tradition that I approve of wholeheartedly: Chicago style Giardinaria relish. Delicious stuff on any sandwich (don't know about dumping it on pizza though). I like the kind made with hot peppers.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The one practice that I do not understand with banana pudding, and it seems to be a growing minority that do this, is omitting bananas entirely.

IMO that isn't banana pudding, it is just pudding with vanilla wafers. Tasty, but it ain't banana pudding.

I agree. That ain't right at all.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

One Midwestern food tradition that I approve of wholeheartedly: Chicago style Giardinaria relish. Delicious stuff on any sandwich (don't know about dumping it on pizza though). I like the kind made with hot peppers.

Yeah, before long there will be no peanuts in peanut butter.

Top Bottom