What's new

Northern and Southern Foods

As far as I can tell from some minor research, Chicken and Waffles is considered "soul food", though its not only associated with the south. It is always fried chicken (preferably dark meat) on top of a waffle. Just a normal waffle, not a super sweet or savory one. It appears to have been fairly popular in Harlem in the 30's.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Growing up in East Lansing, Mich...which is a kind of 'meat, fish & potatoes' Regional type fare, I remember our family tradition of roasting fresh chestnuts at Thanksgiving & Christmas (don't forget the mincemeat & rhubarb pies), reuben sandwiches, liverwurst, meat loaf, fried green tomatoes, vernors ginger ale, beef & lamb stews, chicken & dumplings, bacon & eggs, french toast, cream of wheat, pot roast w/ veggies, goulash, southern (Mom told me to always, "season’ the meat…not the flour…that’s why we call it Southern”), fried chicken with cream gravy, traditional

'soul' (comfort), food', baked trout & salmon, apple cider & maple syrup fresh from the Mills just to name a few. $Michigan Food -1.jpg

Although much has changed (evolved), in my home-town in terms of 'the vibe', cuisine, demographics, traditions ect..., but I can always;

'Say Yes to Pure Michigan'
proxy.php
!!!

proxy.php
Now, the Mrs. (who is Creole and cooks with the 'Holy Trinity' [in this case, chopped celery, bell peppers, and onions], of this cuisine...which has a Portuguese, French, Spanish, Caribbean, African, and Native American flair), and I call the Pelican State (Louisiana...'Pick your Passion'), our home and enjoy regional dishes, like Crawfish Boils, Cochon de Lait, creole gumbo, shrimp etouffee, jambalaya, red beans and rice, dirty rice, boudin sausage, steaks with creole spice rub, 'soul (comfort), food' and other proteins such as soft-shell crabs, maque choux, shrimp & grits, creole oxtails, (no alligator please...tried it...quite chewy), fried clams

& oysters, fried catfish & snapper and such sweets as king cake, beignets, pralines just to name a few.
attachment.php

"Laissez les bons temps rouler" ("Let the good times roll"!!)!
proxy.php

So in closing, I have partaken (and prepared), the full potpourri of many cuisines from both the North and South (and beyond), but to put it in the words of Auguste Escoffier ('The King of Chef's...the Chef of Kings') ;

attachment.php
"Good food is the foundation of genuine happiness." Chef Auguste Escoffier

Last edited:
mmm,home cooked pig ears,w/greens n fatbak,fried corn bread,white rice and peas.(black ey or field or purple hull)
Eat that plenty in the Delta. My favorite place was in Stuttgart Picketts Soul Food.
I love serving Northern folks Grits and Crawdaddy's. Po Boys and all sorts of Cajun and Rural dishes.
As of New England Clam Chowdar I got plenty in Grad School at Southwestern Seminary in Fort Worth a guy from the Jersey shore Mom would make a batch , put it on ice and UPS same day air it to Fort Worth. We would heat it up and get a box of crackers and pig out. Now that Jersey boy took a copy of my moms Corn Bread and Grits with Bacon back up North with him and he got me to using Old Bay Seasonings.
I want some real Chicago Pizza.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I guess I grew up eating a mixture of southern, Mexican and southwestern foods. Our area was in the middle of cattle country. Pot Roast, taters, carrots, white bread and iced tea(not sweet tea) after church on Sundays. Chili was a big hit around the house. There was always a pot of pinto beans on the stove. BBQ was just a given and we had it all kinds of ways from ribs to brisket. Cornbread was devoured as soon as it was put on the table. Grits was not popular in our area, and didn't even try it until I was an adult. What seafood we ate came from the gulf; speckled trout, flounder, blue crab and shrimp. We were always down at the ranch, so it was venison, javelina(makes great tamales), hog, rabbit, morning dove and quail. We had a two a acre tank that was stocked by the county and held large mouth bass, catfish and bluegill perch. When I spent the weekend over at Granny's she would make me fried oysters and shrimp, fried chicken and for breakfast refried beans on a breakfast taco.

I have Granny's cast iron skillet that she used to cook up all those meals for me. I try and baby it a little.

Last edited:
its hard to beat an upstate NY poorboy too.then the blueberry pie in PA.im a truck driver and know about every place to get the good local food in the lower 50,and some of Ontario too.the prerequisite for good food is the people who fix it must like to feed folks.oh and the Jamaican/ cuban meat pies,mmm gotta go fix supper.

I've wondered about Chicken and Waffles. Is the waffle savory or sweet? Another dish I have wondered about is Chipino (sp) I was told this was a west coast invention but I have seen it further east. Obviously I could be wrong. Is this a regional dish or is it an incarnation of all fishing locales?

Since you mentioned Chinese food I found this TED talk pretty interesting.

It depends. I have had the dish with sweet and with non-sweet waffles. You usually top it with either maple syrup or hot sauce. The best that I ever had was not in the South, but rather in Harlem at Amy Ruth's on West 116th Street.

I have lived in Germany, Buffalo, the Philadelphia suburbs, and Charlotte. Some things that stick out to me:

-Pizza- Definitely best in Europe. Chicago and NY have good pizza, but it does not compare to what the Italians, even outside of Italy, make in Europe

-Philly cheese steak- I cannot believe that I actually liked it because all it is is bread, cheese, steak, and optional onions, but it really is good. Just make sure to keep your preference of where to get one to yourself. You might start World War III.

-BBQ- This does not really exist in the North. I am (very) partial to NC BBQ, but there are many varieties in the South.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I am (very) partial to NC BBQ,...
Matthew:
proxy.php
...and I like that style too, but I happen to really :001_wub: the South 'Cackalacky' version! :thumbsup:

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/193533-Pork-Rub-Suggestions?p=2880988&highlight=ribs#post2880988
proxy.php
"Barbecue isn't about finding yourself. Barbecue is about creating yourself”. George Bernard Shaw

Matthew:
proxy.php
...and I like that style too, but I happen to really :001_wub: the South 'Cackalacky' version! :thumbsup:

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/193533-Pork-Rub-Suggestions?p=2880988&highlight=ribs#post2880988
proxy.php
"Barbecue isn't about finding yourself. Barbecue is about creating yourself”. George Bernard Shaw

Their style of BBQ is definitely underrated...and so is Alabama's (mayonnaise-based).

Haha I can't believe someone else actually knows the term "south cackalacky".

NC and SC BBQ are both fine. My only requirements are that bbq=pork, and the sauce be mustard or vinegar based.

Speaking of waffles, I loved Roscoe's House of chicken and waffles. Of course chicken and waffles with a side of their homemade macaroni.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Haha I can't believe someone else actually knows the term "south cackalacky".

NC and SC BBQ are both fine. My only requirements are that bbq=pork, and the sauce be mustard or vinegar based.

Are you sure about that bbq=pork thing. The beef ribs at the Salt Lick here in Austin are to die for.

This what I love about living where I do, West Virginia. We are a melting pot of both north and south. The "real" southern states say we are not southern, and the northern states say we aren't yankees. Which is why I always say that we are the northern most southern state and southern most northern state. As far as the food around the area where I live, it is mostly southern. The further north you go and get closer to PA and MD, it is more of a northern type foods. The one food from my state I could not live without is pepperoni rolls. I didn't realize until the about 4 or 5 years ago, that these were only regional and not everyone knew what they were. And as far as trying something from the north I would probably have to go with a lobster roll from Maine or some crab cakes from Maryland.

I've been fortunate to try a lot of both northern and southern cuisines. What I'm on the hunt for now is what I guess can be called "super-local" food. That is to say food that one can only get in a very small geographical area.

These examples are from the northeast, but I am looking for more.

In Woonsocket, RI, there is a large French-Canadian population. They have a sandwich called a Dynamite. It's like a sloppy joe but better. Highly localized. You can't even get them 2-3 towns away.

In the Rome/UTica NY area, it's Chicken Riggies. Limited to that small area.

The Fall River/New Bedford area has a large Poruguese population and they make a Chourico and pepper sandwich unique to the area. Known to the locals as Chureese and Peppas.

Also on the Southeast Massachusetts border with the east bay of Rhode Island, they do chow Mein like nowhere else. The chow Mein noodles are thin and they serve the chow Mein on white hamburger buns as a sandwich.

So right now, my quest is to find more of these highly localized dishes.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Are you sure about that bbq=pork thing. The beef ribs at the Salt Lick here in Austin are to die for.

The Salt Lick: I have a shirt from there that says,"You can smell out pits for miles!"
Out in the middle of nowhere but oh so very delicious!

Top Bottom