What's new

Northern and Southern Foods

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm curious to know, if you are from the northern states including Canada, are there foods from the south you have never tried but would like to try? Likewise, if you are from the south including Mexico, what are some northern foods that you haven't tried but would like to try?

The first thing that comes to mind for me would be pizza. I have never been to Chicago or New York and would love to try a slice of pizza from both places. Sure, there are joints here in Austin, Texas that offer Chicago style pizza, but I know it's not the same.

What about you?

Last edited:
The rest of the world is out?

I am from Western Europe (one could debate "Northern Europe" as well) ... I'd love to try some real American food, instead of the hamburger !@#$% that is sold as "American" over here.

Grilled steak with sweet onions and peppers, for instance. Or whatever else are American signature dishes!

I am from Western Europe (one could debate "Northern Europe" as well) ... I'd love to try some real American food, instead of the hamburger !@#$% that is sold as "American" over here.

Grilled steak with sweet onions and peppers, for instance. Or whatever else are American signature dishes!

I'll trade you a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich for a stroopwafel.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

I didn't mean to leave you out. Would you like to try some possum belly?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's a southern classic that I'll trade. I Take that back...it's lunch time.

Chicken Fried Steak
$marys.jpg

From the NE myself. I'd love to try all the different varieties of BBQ in their respective locations. I'd also like to attack a lot of the Cajun dishes.

In the north, I'd like to try some Bear and Moose next time I'm in Maine (likely won't happen, but I can dream).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

If you ever come to Fort Worth I will personally grill you a ribeye and sweet peppers. Put some bell peppers in there for contrast

I've been up north and the only thing they had we don't is better lobster. I'll still turn my nose at it for a good mess of crawdads.

I would like to travel to Scotland for real haggis or japan for sushi.

I've lived in Cleveland, and South Carolina. What I do miss about the North is the ethnic foods and the West Side Market in Cleveland. We have nothing like that in the south. I also cant seem to be able to find a real decent deli in my town like they have up north.

I'd like to get to try some real Mexican food. There are some pretty authentic places where I live, but I bet they don't hold a candle to what I could get somewhere closer to the border. I've also never had poutine. A friend recently visited Canada and posted a ton of pictures of this dish. Looks incredible.

Last edited:
I had haggis in Scotland, in Ayr. I was assured it was the real thing (you never know). It does taste way better than you would think, given the ingedients :wink2:

I love the stuff they pass off over here but with US laws there are ingredients they can't legally include.

I've been up north and the only thing they had we don't is better lobster. I'll still turn my nose at it for a good mess of crawdads.

I would like to travel to Scotland for real haggis or japan for sushi.

Are you honestly telling me the South makes better chowdah than the North?

Top Bottom