What's new

Northern and Southern Foods

Not a fan of pickled okra, but I love me some pickled sweet corn! I think it is more of an Appalachian thing than a Southern thing though.

My wife and I have tried, without success, to pickle sweet corn Appalachian style. It is not an easy thing to make. What few discussions about it you can find on the net hint semi-seriously at lots of voodoo being involved, such as making it under the right zodiac sign, and keeping menstruating women away from the pickling jar. :blink:

Giardinaria. That can be fantastic. Mr. Beef-666 Orleans St. Chicago. The home of the BEST Italian Beef sandwich on the planet. The giardinaria makes it.

But I'm a southern boy, living in Appalachian Tennessee. Not an authority on such things; I do know what's good though. And here in the hills greens, smothered chicken, pulled pork, and cornbread?? We have that nailed.

Attachments

• $070573555559.jpg
    $070573555559.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 102
The one practice that I do not understand with banana pudding, and it seems to be a growing minority that do this, is omitting bananas entirely.

IMO that isn't banana pudding, it is just pudding with vanilla wafers. Tasty, but it ain't banana pudding.

One Midwestern food tradition that I approve of wholeheartedly: Chicago style Giardinaria relish. Delicious stuff on any sandwich (don't know about dumping it on pizza though). I like the kind made with hot peppers.

Pudding without Bananas isn't Banana Pudding ... . I've seen it , strange , but I think they must do it because Banana Pudding doesn't keep , the Bananas start turning dark by the second day .

Hot Pickled Okra is Great !

Is Giardinaria relish the stuff they put on Italian Beef Sandwiches in Chicago ? If so , THAT is good stuff ! The more the merrier ... .

Is Giardinaria relish the stuff they put on Italian Beef Sandwiches in Chicago ? If so , THAT is good stuff ! The more the merrier ... .

Yep, that's the stuff. Absolutely addictive. Wal mart carries this one, and it is pretty darn good. Nice crunch, medium heat.

proxy.php

I will add it to my Shopping List ! I had No Idea , I figure it'll be in the Pickle , Olive , etc. , and Relish Aisle . Puts a little "Zing" in Everything ! :thumbup: Thanks !

Yep, that's the stuff. Absolutely addictive. Wal mart carries this one, and it is pretty darn good. Nice crunch, medium heat.

proxy.php

I keep a jar of Talk O' Texas pickled okra in the fridge

Yep I ate some at a Civil War Renactment and then bought Talk of Texas , But Mom said they were overloaded with Okra from the garden so I googled up a recipe for canned Okra and Mom started making it for me.

I keep a jar of Talk O' Texas pickled okra in the fridge
Had to get a different brand of Giardinaria , actually Guiliano Hot and Spicy Jalapeño spread with bell pepper , onions ,and garlic , (seems the Chicago stuff I remember had some banana peppers in it , too , or something else) , this was more chopped up , less chunky than I remember it , but I hope it'll work , it didn't say "Chicago Style" (every Italian Beef Sandwich place had their own recipe), but it was that or Mt.Olive Hot Pepper Relish ? no idea , around here it's called Chow Chow , Hot or Mild , Southern Style (everybody used to make it , had their recipe , some added green tomatoes , and canned it themselves ,(it was put on field peas , or other stuff to spice it up) and I got "Talk O' Texas Okra Pickles" , they had them . I never look , just go in for what's on the list , get it and leave . Thanks for the info , I hadn't thought about that stuff in years .
Deltaboy are you originally from Mississippi ? Cleveland or Clarksdale , around there ? Delta State ... The Fighting Okra , Go Team !

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to get a different brand of Giardinaria , actually Guiliano Hot and Spicy Jalapeño spread with bell pepper , onions ,and garlic , (seems the Chicago stuff I remember had some banana peppers in it , too , or something else) , this was more chopped up , less chunky than I remember it , but I hope it'll work , it didn't say "Chicago Style" (every Italian Beef Sandwich place had their own recipe), but it was that or Mt.Olive Hot Pepper Relish ? no idea , around here it's called Chow Chow , Hot or Mild , Southern Style (everybody used to make it , had their recipe , some added green tomatoes , and canned it themselves ,(it was put on field peas , or other stuff to spice it up) and I got "Talk O' Texas Okra Pickles" , they had them . I never look , just go in for what's on the list , get it and leave . Thanks for the info , I hadn't thought about that stuff in years .
Deltaboy are you originally from Mississippi ? Cleveland or Clarksdale , around there ? Delta State ... The Fighting Okra , Go Team !
Grew up in the Ark Delta when the soil is black as sin. Yep Hot Chow Chow is made with Vel pepper, Banana peppers, Hot Pepper a and Green Tomatoes some time we add some pimiento for a little color.

For those in Phoenix looking to get some good Gardinera Luke's at 16th St and Indian School makes there own and sells it by the jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home made Chicken stock. We grabbed a Roster Chicken tonite from the deli after eating it up we put the bones and rest in a pot cover with water and set it to simmer with Salt and pepper!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Find some Wickles Wicked pickled okra and you'll never be able to eat Talk o' Texas again. I re-use their pickling juice and drop cucumber spears in there for a few weeks. The gift that keeps on giving!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Find some Wickles Wicked pickled okra and you'll never be able to eat Talk o' Texas again. I re-use their pickling juice and drop cucumber spears in there for a few weeks. The gift that keeps on giving!
Nice...I'll be on the lookout.

Top Bottom