What's new

Northern and Southern Foods

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
M:
Awesome BBQ and pit! :drool:

Just a few questions...did you;

a) Use any rub?

b) Use any wood [pecan, oak or hickory]?

b) Finish your BBQ 'smothered' with a South Texas style (?), molasses-based sauce to help keep the meat very moist or did you serve it 'on-the-side'
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Barbecue isn't about finding yourself. Barbecue is about creating yourself”. George Bernard Shaw

PS Can you post some more pics of your truck-pit "that fits onto the receiver 'hitch' on the back of [your] truck" (I'm still trying to get a 'visual' of how this pit looks, fits and how you made it)?
proxy.php

I only BBQ with mesquite charcoal
I use no rub or sauce
For steaks I only use salt and pepper
Ribs: a little tenderizer and salt and pepper

The pit is 1/2" thick, 16" diameter, and right around 2' long
It sits just far enough from the back of the truck for me to lower the tailgate and high enough that it doesn't burn it.
$image.jpg$image.jpg

martym

One more photo
It also has its own "shovel" for scooping out the old coals!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 164

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Subs are not only different from region to region but neighborhood to neighborhood.

Grinder, Hoagie or Sub they are all delicious when quality ingredients are used.

Subway is not high on my list but will do when that's the only Sub around.

I like a base of Salami and Pepperoni and Provolone.

From there you can add ham or mortadella or cappicola.

I prefer the lettuce to be shredded head lettuce.

I like some onions and tomato as well.

Then you can add just oil and spices or oil and vinegar.

One must add salt pepper and oregano.

There is Jersey Mikes and as chain subs go I like them.
Get an Italian Mikes way and add pepper relish and banana peppers and I'm good to go.

In Chicago you have Captain Nemo's. Always love there Italian, Italian Beef and Mamas soup, both split pea and minestrone.

In Philly they have a shop that has some really good subs on great seeded bread and really good varieties of Italian meets.

So after all that, I really agree that I love a good Italian sub.

But I have to say that the Corned Beef sandwich looks really good in the next post. I like a good pastrami as well.

Add a bowl of Matzo Ball soup and I'm a happy man.

Need some peperoncini or banana peppers.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I only BBQ with mesquite charcoal
I use no rub or sauce
For steaks I only use salt and pepper
Ribs: a little tenderizer and salt and pepper

The pit is 1/2" thick, 16" diameter, and right around 2' long
It sits just far enough from the back of the truck for me to lower the tailgate and high enough that it doesn't burn it.
View attachment 511167View attachment 511168
attachment.php
M:
Thanx for your BBQ 'secrets'...and you have a superb welder in your area (which gives me a idea)! :thumbsup:

Q. How much would you assume it would 'set-me-back' for such as a fine conversational piece and grill (concurrent if I could find such a
local welder
proxy.php
)
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the barbecue". Aristotle

Last edited:

martym

M:
Thanx for your BBQ 'secrets'...and you have a superb welder in your area (which gives me a idea)! :thumbsup:

Q. How much would you assume it would 'set-me-back' for such as a fine conversational piece and grill (concurrent if I could find such a
local welder
proxy.php
)
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the barbecue". Aristotle

Pits here r big business. Materials cost me about $150.00.
If you had it custom made here, you r looking between $300 to $500.
They aren't cheap but they will last a lifetime
They are awesome on camping trips, the ranch, the beach, and just at home.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Canadian bacon is just ham

I know...isn't that odd?

I believe British bacon is different, too.

As a Canadian this always confuses me.

I thought that Canadian bacon was peameal bacon which is made from pork tenderloin that is cured and rolled in peameal . . . well corn meal within recent memory. It is more of a white meat. For me ham is always from the upper part of the legs . . . cured as well but always pink. I think it is fair to say that most of the bacon we consume in Canada is from the belly as it is in the US.

I may be wrong but I think the Brits call this streaky bacon.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
pits here r big business. Materials cost me about $150.00.
If you had it custom made here, you r looking between $300 to $500.
They aren't cheap but they will last a lifetime (that gives us a start...super!
proxy.php
)
they are awesome on camping trips, the ranch, the beach, and just at home.
M:
proxy.php
...and a great
proxy.php
("Say what 'hon'? Yes dear...I'm coming to bed soon".)! :001_rolle
proxy.php
"BBQ and Steak: the ultimate comfort foods! C’est Bon"! CBJ

Last edited:
What about soft drinks? Growing up in Texas we drank a lot of Dr Pepper....it was born and raised in Waco, Texas 1885. Quite recently I heard of a drink called Moxie....never heard of that one. Are there other sodas drinks known only from North or South?
This southerner made the mistake of trying Moxie back in the eighties. Probably the foulest drink I've ever tasted. I'm sure it's some kind of acquired taste, but I doubt I could ever acquire it.

I did try scrapple when I was on a trip up north one time, Pennsylvania. NASTY! The omelet I ate with some kind of white cheese in Massachusetts made up for it, though.
As far as my favorite local foods go, I love shrimp or crawfish poboys, boiled crawfish, muffelattas, red beans and rice with french bread, chargrilled oysters, my mom's gumbo on Christmas Eve night, jambalaya and creole. Grilled Conecuh brand sausage is also food of the gods, and it's awesome even cooked in a skillet for breakfast. Smoked chicken with Alabama White BBQ sauce is hard to beat as well. It's made from mayo, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and cracked black pepper.

This southerner made the mistake of trying Moxie back in the eighties. Probably the foulest drink I've ever tasted. I'm sure it's some kind of acquired taste, but I doubt I could ever acquire it.

Hahaha. It is most definitely an acquired taste if you didn't grow up drinking it. But if you did grow up drinking it, nothing compares. I have no doubt there are countless southern equivalents.

The omelet I ate with some kind of white cheese in Massachusetts made up for it, though.

It may have been cheddar, Jack, or "American" cheese. The funny thing about us New Englanders is that we don't like that fake orange color in our cheese. Milk is white. Cheese is white. Don't add annato to make it orange. It's not natural.

Hahaha. It is most definitely an acquired taste if you didn't grow up drinking it. But if you did grow up drinking it, nothing compares. I have no doubt there are countless southern equivalents.

It may have been cheddar, Jack, or "American" cheese. The funny thing about us New Englanders is that we don't like that fake orange color in our cheese. Milk is white. Cheese is white. Don't add annato to make it orange. It's not natural.
I'll agree with you on white cheese! Southerners pride ourselves on fine breakfast food but I'll have to say that I walked away most impressed with a little mom and pop diner in rural Massachusetts. The building looked like it was two hundred years old and the cooking utensils looked original to the building. I wouldn't care for the tax structure up there, but the scenery and old buildings are something to be proud of.

The majority of folks here in Laredo, TX. (South Texas), use mesquite. Every weekend there is that smokey aroma all over town. It's what is easily available. Hell some of us have it growing in our own backyards.

Yep, BubblesTGB is correct. When I lived in Lil Rhody I made the mistake of ordering a milkshake. Awesome. Just milk and syrup, no ice cream. I was told what I should have ordered was a cabinet. Then, I'm in Boston and order a cabinet. Everyone looks at me like I'm a Yankees fan, so I say, you know, like a milkshake? Great. Repeat of milk and syrup with no icecream. Oh, they tell me, you want a frappe. Come on!

Reminds me of a time I was in a Boston diner back in the 1990's. My friend says "This frappe on the menu, is that like a milkshake?" The grizzled gum-snapping waitress replies "now I dunno wat a 'milkshake' is but this frappe, it's milk and ice cream blended together"...

:lol:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Reminds me of a time I was in a Boston diner back in the 1990's. My friend says "This frappe on the menu, is that like a milkshake?" The grizzled gum-snapping waitress replies "now I dunno wat a 'milkshake' is but this frappe, it's milk and ice cream blended together"...

Then there's the malt shake.:laugh:

Frappes are wikkid pissah... And it IS the local term, but everyone knows what a milkshake is too thanks to Mickey Ds. I've lived up here in Mass and NH since 1972 and except maybe at Friendly's, I have NEVER ordered a milkshake using the word "Frappe."
She was just messing with the tourist -- we're like that...

Frappes are wikkid pissah... And it IS the local term, but everyone knows what a milkshake is too thanks to Mickey Ds. I've lived up here in Mass and NH since 1972 and except maybe at Friendly's, I have NEVER ordered a milkshake using the word "Frappe."
She was just messing with the tourist -- we're like that...

I should hope that you ordered a Fribble at Friendly's and not a frappe.

Top Bottom