What's new

DE newbie here

Hello all

So my grandfather used to let me lather his face as a young child with his mug and brush and I always thought it was the coolest thing. Fast forward 20+ yrs later to now and I'm just now gonna try it. I have previously been using the fad razors and using the gillette fusion (no flogging please). Over the past bit I have been watching vids and reading about safety razors and kept saying I was gonna try it but never did. I stopped in a art of shaving on sat and it clicked that now was the time to try it out. So when I got back to the hotel I jumped on Amazon and placed the appropriate orders to get started. All should b here by the end of the upcoming week and I'm gonna give it all a shot. I have trolled this site for some time loading up on info so thanks to all for the wealth of knowledge in making my first purchases! Any advice is greatly appreciated to make the transition as smooth as possible. I look forward to this chapter in my shaving life.

Last edited:
None of the following should come a surprising advice if you have been doing your reading:

Prep well, taking your time so that your beard is adequately hydrated before you put the blade to it.

Ease off on the pressure that you have been used to applying with those cartridges. Take it slow, but don't worry too much.

Don't aim for anything like perfection for a good while. Just enjoy yourself and don't torture your face.

What kind of razor did you get?

I went with the Edwin jagger de89. It comes with a 5 pack of derby blades and I have read that they r a milder blade so I figured it was a good start. I also read that this razor was a good starting point for a beginner. I went with this over a merkur due to the finish issues I kept reading about.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. When you get your kit, try making a few practice lathers until you can get a good lather. Then give the razor and blade a try. Take it easy the first few times, and don't be disappointed if the first few shaves aren't as good as you want. It takes time to learn a new skill, and we'll be here to help.

Thanks guys. I also went with the how to grow a moustache synergy soap due to the ease of lathering the reviews spoke of.

Hello and welcome to B&B, Skinny. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

I went with the Edwin jagger de89. It comes with a 5 pack of derby blades and I have read that they r a milder blade so I figured it was a good start. I also read that this razor was a good starting point for a beginner. I went with this over a merkur due to the finish issues I kept reading about.

Welcome to the forum!

I just want to add that Derby blades probably will not work for you as they only work for very few. They are often frowned upon here. I never got a good shave from them. For me they are dull enough to pull up some whiskers by root and because they do not slice easily through the whiskers, the razor begins to jump and skip. A jumping and skipping razor is like begging for an accident. To counter this you begin automatically to add pressure and you get really bad razor burn.

You should have the mildest blade slicing without effort through your whiskers. As soon as there is some tugging and pulling, you know you need sharper blade. From mildest to sharpest I often recommend people to get these blades: Voskhod, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue (or Polsilver SI) and Feather. Then you have 4 blades to try in order to find a working level of sharpness. With that brand, begin honing your skill before trying more blades.

This is one big benefit of DE: You are able to get the right level of sharpness and not a one blade is good for all.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

I just want to add that Derby blades probably will not work for you as they only work for very few. They are often frowned upon here. I never got a good shave from them. For me they are dull enough to pull up some whiskers by root and because they do not slice easily through the whiskers, the razor begins to jump and skip. A jumping and skipping razor is like begging for an accident. To counter this you begin automatically to add pressure and you get really bad razor burn.

You should have the mildest blade slicing without effort through your whiskers. As soon as there is some tugging and pulling, you know you need sharper blade. From mildest to sharpest I often recommend people to get these blades: Voskhod, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue (or Polsilver SI) and Feather. Then you have 4 blades to try in order to find a working level of sharpness. With that brand, begin honing your skill before trying more blades.

This is one big benefit of DE: You are able to get the right level of sharpness and not a one blade is good for all.

Good info. I'll definitely check out these blades. I'll see if I can get a sampler with all these. Thanks a lot.

Welcome to the B&B!

I'm just a few days ahead of you using a DE89 and Derby blades. Having no form of comparison, and still working on my technique, I don't have any issues with the Derby's. I haven't experienced the tugging I've read about.

I did pick up a sampler pack of blades, but I think I'll stick with the Derby's for 30 days to get a good baseline before trying another blade type.

Welcome to the B&B!

I'm just a few days ahead of you using a DE89 and Derby blades. Having no form of comparison, and still working on my technique, I don't have any issues with the Derby's. I haven't experienced the tugging I've read about.

I did pick up a sampler pack of blades, but I think I'll stick with the Derby's for 30 days to get a good baseline before trying another blade type.

I hope I don't experience the tugging either. Since ur new what's ur routine being just into it. Prep I'm reading is key..

Welcome to DE Shaving and the B&B!

You are on the right track by gaining knowledge. While there is a learning curve in terms of technique and what products work best for you, never forget to enjoy the process. I think it is safe to say that most of us got hooked, because we found a way to make a daily grooming requirement into something fun and relaxing.

Good luck!

Top Bottom