What's new

Is Gillette Tech milder than Super Speed ?

To be honest, I am not a big believer that heavy handles make razors more aggressive. I think a heavy handle can and will add stability (that is why I use a stainless steel handle with the R41) and also they change the balance point, which may make a huge difference and perform more to my liking. ...

For me this is the essence of a good handle (and of course I don't use a Tech for its aggressiveness!). The balance and the crisp definition of the balance point are the main points for me when I choose a handle. This is something Cooncatbob taught me back in the days.

Of course I might be a bit extreme in this (says the guy who's on shave 40 with his Polsilver SI) :001_smile , but the grip at the balance point is what makes the razor float IMHO!

For me this is the essence of a good handle (and of course I don't use a Tech for its aggressiveness!). The balance and the crisp definition of the balance point are the main points for me when I choose a handle. This is something Cooncatbob taught me back in the days.

Of course I might be a bit extreme in this (says the guy who's on shave 40 with his Polsilver SI) :001_smile , but the grip at the balance point is what makes the razor float IMHO!

Yes, Bosse. I didn't mean to say that you use the handle to increase aggressiveness, I have read many of your posts and you mention balance, grip, etc ... which is in line with my way of thinking too.

But I have seen other people saying the heavier handles make for a more aggressive razor, and I don't agree. Of course this is just my opinion, everyone has one, right? :lol:

I can see why people tend to use a heavier handle with all their razors, but I am a bit different and I only use it with the R41 because I think it benefits from the added stability.
As for other razors, such as vintage Gillette, I prefer them with their stock handles, because generally speaking I like head heavy razors.

Hi,

I have an Early Tech and a 40s SS and find them to shave the same. Except, the Tech is easier to use under my nose. Both were my Dad's, and he pulled the Tech out of a drawer to give to me when I was 15. I suppose he must have liked the SS better since he used it and not the Tech.

Stan

oh the misconception that mild is bad.a tech offers a smooth shave w/o too much irritation.you can still take some of your face off with the mildest razor.i regularly use oc razors but still enjoy a shave with a tech.plus they make a nice addition to my vintage gillette collection.

So, although I agree with the general opinion here that it's all pretty subjective, I would rank them thus, starting with the most aggressive: (I've only listed the ones that I have experience with and have not included British / French / German vaiants and Rockets)

Red Flare Tip
1940's SS
Pre-WW2 Fat Handle Tech
Ball End Tech (its heavier handle helps)
Black Tip SS
Silver Flare Tip SS
Post WW2 Fat Handle Tech
Ranger Tech (The SS / Tech crossover!)
Blue Flare Tip
Bakelite Handle Tech
Aluminum Handle 1970s Tech (my first DE)
Travel Tech (short handle)

IMHO - A Tech is milder than a SS when using the same blade. However, I find that a Feather in a Tech makes a great middle of the road aggressiveness with great handling and smooth results. So while a Tech razor "can" be mild, its mildness can be modified by what razor blade you use.

To me my KNACK is milder than even my Tech But I rarely use my SS Red Tip cause I still get some bleeding with it.

Top Bottom