What's new

Is Gillette Tech milder than Super Speed ?

Just when I thought I have completed my collection or have reasonably reached a level of contentment with what I have, I see something else that catches my eye. Heck, I have a Slim on the way and here I am shopping around again. This isn't going to be anything I purchase soon but a Gillette Tech is something I think I may want one day. Since taking up wet shaving and collecting, I have a fascination with vintage Gillettes. Something about the durability of the brass and nickel I find comforting.

I now have plenty of mild and medium aggressiveness razors so I do not want to get any milder than a Super Speed. Interesting side note: I actually nicked myself with a flair tip and a Astra blade this morning. Anyway, is the Gillette Tech on par with the Super Speed Flair Tip or even milder? I have read that it is mild but exactly how mild ?

Depends on the particular Tech you get and which superspeed you have. On average, they are about the same mildness. You would have to try them for yourself to see. You can use different handles with Techs, longer, shorter, thinner ,fatter , heavier and lighter to suit your needs.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Depends on the particular Tech you get and which superspeed you have. On average, they are about the same mildness. You would have to try them for yourself to see. You can use different handles with Techs, longer, shorter, thinner ,fatter , heavier and lighter to suit your needs.

+1 One person's aggressive razor is another person's mild razor.

IMO tech is milder than the superspeed. About the mildest razor maybe in the world.

+1 I have L4 versions of a Tech and Flare Tip SS, SS being the more aggressive razor. With that, of the two I much prefer the Tech, not because I'm a fan of mild razors per se but because the Tech's design is superior in its simplicity.

If I had to choose it would be the Tech, hands down. Not sure if it is milder, but I as David said, its design is far superior, IMO.

They're both mild anyway, there's not much light between them.

Yes, tech is VERY mild. Even pre-war techs, stil milder than a 40's style SS.

I like them both. The tech does very well for every other day shaving (I could shave every day, but I don't like to).

I also like my fatboy's on 9.

Its all in technique :)

If I had to choose it would be the Tech, hands down. Not sure if it is milder, but I as David said, its design is far superior, IMO.

I agree, I chose Techs superior design. Sold all of the superspeeds I had. My favorite was the 40's superspeed and the last to go.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The tech is more mild than the SS, but not by much IMO. I like the SS better. More SS's were sold for a reason.

Agreed here, Super Speeds are one of Gillette's greatest accomplishments. We can now close this thread, nothing left to see here. :tongue_sm

Undeserved hating of the TTO design going on, here. It was really a brilliant piece of engineering. SuperSpeeds are great razors.
No disrespect at all to the Tech, the simplicity of which is archetypal.
I vote Tech as milder than SS, too.

id say the tech is a little milder than a super speed. but i disagree on the other hand about a pre war tech. i have a fat handled tech, with the triangle slots, and that bugger is definitely more aggressive than a post war tech. almost so much so, that i cant use it. its fine on my cheeks, but the neck and upper lip get alittle irritated from it. but hey, the only true way to find out for you, is to try em out. but i know for sure, pre war's are more aggressive than post war techs.

Comparing my Techs to my SS, I find them similarly efficient but the Techs are more comfortable for me.

Depending on what Tech you get and what handle you use the results will vary.

I have used DE razors since 1980 and I have settled on some Aristocrats and these other Gillettes:

Notice that the Techs (US C2, British Flat Bottom and British Aluminium)on the UFO Colibri handle to the left clearly outnumber the Super Speeds (Red Tip)!

Last edited by a moderator:
True. While I've been known to shim my Tech with good results I don't care for how heavier handles upset the Tech's balance.[/CENTER]
:001_smile I've done the exact opposite - heavier aftermarket handles and no shimming. The Tech is certainly versatile!

We can now close this thread, nothing left to see here. :tongue_sm

That's called abuse of power. :001_rolle

Depending on what Tech you get and what handle you use the results will vary.

To be honest, I am not a big believer that heavy handles make razors more aggressive. I think a heavy handle can and will add stability (that is why I use a stainless steel handle with the R41) and also they change the balance point, which may make a huge difference and perform more to my liking.

Now, more aggressive? I can't see how, to be honest. The handle doesn't change the blade exposure, nor the blade gap and much less the head geometry, the added weight doesn't mean much to me, as the pressure applied on the face should always be the same, regardless if the razor weighs 90g or 30g.

I could be wrong, and these are just mis dos centavos anyway.

The R41 for example. Does the stainless steel handle make the R41 more aggressive? Of course not, it only adds stability. I think the same is true for all other razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom