What's new

How to fix a "scratch"

My uncle sent me his AoS straight starter kit when he found out I was getting into it, he gave up a year ago after barely trying it. Included was a strop that is in pristine shape except for a minor nick, more of a scratch to be honest. Do I need to remove it? If so, what is the best way?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 134
I haven't tried stropping on it yet. I can feel it with my hand though. It's. to deep but has a ridge of leather that is scraped up.

Last edited:
I'm worried you will do more damage trying to fix it than leaving it alone. It does not look like much. Maybe take a kitchen knife and do some light stroke to see if it you feel it stropping. Is that a Dovo Russian Leather?

I would use some fine grit sandpaper (400 or so) and lightly sand it until it feels smooth under your fingers. Then forget about it and strop away.

+1 for this. Do this very slowly. You can always do more, but you can't undo anything that is done.

I would use some fine grit sandpaper (400 or so) and lightly sand it until it feels smooth under your fingers. Then forget about it and strop away.

Maybe take a kitchen knife and do some light stroke to see if it you feel it stropping. Is that a Dovo Russian Leather?
It is a German Dovo.
I'll try the kitchen knife trick. If that doesn't work, I'll gently try the 400 grit.

Just kidding about the stripping comment, by the way. I had a similar scratch on my strop. I considered sanding it at first. I gave the strop some good rubbing with the palm of my hand then stropped. It seems to have pretty much disappeared.

Just kidding about the stripping comment, by the way. I had a similar scratch on my strop. I considered sanding it at first. I gave the strop some good rubbing with the palm of my hand then stropped. It seems to have pretty much disappeared.
No worries! I get in a hurry and leave typos like that all the time. I actually did chuckle when I read your comment, so thank you for that. I didn't get to try stopping on it today. Maybe tomorrow.
Thanks again.

I tried stopping on it with a knife and couldn't feel it, so I tried with my razor and still couldn't feel the scratch. Does that mean it is no problem?

I agree. You are good to go. By the way, Russian is a tanning style that Dovo sells. The have a standard Latigo and a Russian. Many like the Russian a lot.

Sounds like you're ready to make some of your own. Enjoy!

I'm hoping not to. My razor still needs honed, so I think I am going to send it out soon and buy a cheap strop to scratch up instead. Most likely from Whipped Dog.

Top Bottom