What's new

Another first shave thread.

So today was the big day :001_smile

I have been looking forward to trying a straight for a while now. I really enjoy the experience and results with my DE razors so using a classic straight blade must be the best, right?

$P1010642.jpg

I ended up getting a 7/8 Brandonisio and Bros. Uno. I started with a 6/8 round point in the cart for $55 but changed when I realized that if I take to this, I likely wouldn't use the razor and if I didn't, it would be harder to get my money back out so...I went for the gusto. The blade on the 7/8 doesn't look or feel too big on my face. No regrets there.

Mike sent it shave ready with strict instructions not to stop before the first use so I had one less thing to learn before shaving today and wasn't concerned with the condition of the blade. I took my time and did about 3/4 of a shave before I bailed and finished with a DE. A couple of small nicks and a small patch or redness but I am still in one piece.

A few observations:

- I found the process of holding and moving the razor really awkward. Coming down from the sideburn was the most comfortable but still awkward. I think the advice of practicing with a butter knife might go a long way to helping build a comfort level. I am definitely going to try that.
- I tried to keep the angle shallow and went very slowly. At first I noticed that most of the lather was accumulating on the underside of the blade but as I spent more time with it, the lather started to be on the top/outside of the blade.
- I also noticed that quite a bit of the time the blade seemed to stick to my face. I was moving it very slowly and was rather nervous of cutting myself so I wanted to concentrate on the feel of the blade on my skin so I could react quickly to anything that felt like a cut.
-I had passes on both cheeks, under the nose, my chin and neck. I was on an ATG pass up my neck when I felt it was time to stop. The areas that I had shaved were still a bit rough so I did a pass with my slant to finish up. In retrospect, I think Lynn's advice of starting with one cheek and just doing that until you get comfortable and then building from there might be the best idea. That is my plan of attack now.

Awesome razor and congrats on a good start! The straight razor wiki has a ton of good info on technique that can help you along.

The skills will come fast. You are fortunate to start out with such a nice razor. Take your time on the strop. Speed only saves time but increases risk to the edge and strop. You can do an effective job with slow light strokes and a safe flip and return. Speed will come but is not a requirement.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Surviving shave #1 is a success, so celebrate that. Just take your time and learn at your own pace.

Welcome to B&B HappyOne: You made an excellent choice for your first SR. I purchased my first UNO last week from the Brandonisio and Bros. The edge on the razor was superb. A fantastic shaving experience.

Day 2: shave 2

Strop prep felt more comfortable today. I did from the sideburn down to the jaw on both sides plus a bit of the cheek. Right hand/right side and left hand/left side. I feel a bit of burn on the left side but not on the right side. Then finished the rest of the shave with a DE.

You are smart to take your time. You will the angle of the blade difficult to deal with the first time you try to shave from your nose down to your lip. But once you do it a couple of times it will feel natural. It is kind of a twisting motion combined with a stroke.

Congrats on a successful day two.

Day 3: A little smoother. Still just below the sideburns and part of the cheek. I forgot to stretch the skin on the left side and the results showed it.

I am having difficulty seeing what I am doing coming down from the sideburns, with the razor and my hand in the way. I turn my head to the side a bit but it still seems like I am taking a bit of a "leap of faith" until the blade makes contact with my face.

I have noticed a few small dark spots on the razor, are those water spots? Will they polish up with some metal polish?

Those are water spots soon to become pitting. Be sure to dry with tissues and run a tissue through the scales so water inside the scales does not leave. You can buff it out but how depends on the depth of the spot. Pics can help.

Polish ASAP and they will disappear. Always dry your razor after each shave. I allow my razor to dry 24 hours before I fold it into the closed position.

So today was the big day :001_smile

I have been looking forward to trying a straight for a while now. I really enjoy the experience and results with my DE razors so using a classic straight blade must be the best, right?

View attachment 498423

I ended up getting a 7/8 Brandonisio and Bros. Uno. I started with a 6/8 round point in the cart for $55 but changed when I realized that if I take to this, I likely wouldn't use the razor and if I didn't, it would be harder to get my money back out so...I went for the gusto. The blade on the 7/8 doesn't look or feel too big on my face. No regrets there.

Mike sent it shave ready with strict instructions not to stop before the first use so I had one less thing to learn before shaving today and wasn't concerned with the condition of the blade. I took my time and did about 3/4 of a shave before I bailed and finished with a DE. A couple of small nicks and a small patch or redness but I am still in one piece.

A few observations:

- I found the process of holding and moving the razor really awkward. Coming down from the sideburn was the most comfortable but still awkward. I think the advice of practicing with a butter knife might go a long way to helping build a comfort level. I am definitely going to try that.
- I tried to keep the angle shallow and went very slowly. At first I noticed that most of the lather was accumulating on the underside of the blade but as I spent more time with it, the lather started to be on the top/outside of the blade.
- I also noticed that quite a bit of the time the blade seemed to stick to my face. I was moving it very slowly and was rather nervous of cutting myself so I wanted to concentrate on the feel of the blade on my skin so I could react quickly to anything that felt like a cut.
-I had passes on both cheeks, under the nose, my chin and neck. I was on an ATG pass up my neck when I felt it was time to stop. The areas that I had shaved were still a bit rough so I did a pass with my slant to finish up. In retrospect, I think Lynn's advice of starting with one cheek and just doing that until you get comfortable and then building from there might be the best idea. That is my plan of attack now.

A couple of videos on youtube really helped my S.R.shaving . Search for the ten minute three pass shave & Straight Razor three pass. A couple of guys with nice techniques.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Day 4 shave. More comfortable with the motions. Did both cheeks and most of the jaw, WTG. No irritation today but the razor was pulling a bit and I put a small nick in my stop up by the handle. I think I really need to focus on my stopping technique.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Day 4 shave. More comfortable with the motions. Did both cheeks and most of the jaw, WTG. No irritation today but the razor was pulling a bit and I put a small nick in my stop up by the handle. I think I really need to focus on my stopping technique.
Your shaves will get better with more practice. Learn to strop slowly before trying to look like a stropping pro. Hold the razor by the tang And use very little downward pressure against the strop.

Great read! I love it.

What it find helps me with some of the harder areas is to begin on an easier area and keep it going - starting a stroke too near to the curve of my chin seems to stick and I feel it would cut to carry on, but starting higher up allows me to get some steam going and then curve around the chin.

Looking forward to more updates of your shaves with that lovely looking razor.

ETA- another tip with stropping, start at the far end of the strop with the razor in a comfortable grip, strop towards you and then turn it and go the other way. I find when I start at the end nearest to me that the grip when I flip it at the other end feels awkward, but starting comfortably at the far end and then flipping near me gives me good grips in both directions

Last edited:
Day 5.

I had the day off so I took it easy this morning and didn't shower/shave until mid day. I followed Effy's advice on stropping and it did seem to help, thanks for that.

Today I took my time and tackled a full shave - two passes (WTG & XTG) and some cleanup. I tried to focus on smooth contact and shallow angle. I am pretty sure that I found the 'sweet spot' a few times when it just seemed to glide. I did cut myself under my nose and it wasn't my best shave ever but it wasn't bad. I only used a DE to come up under my chin for an ATG pass that just didn't feel right with the straight blade. Lots more stretching that with a DE. I can see that with coming at areas from different directions coupled with the stretching, you could get a really long lasting BBS. My chin wasn't too bad and my cheeks/jaw were nearly BBS. Even under my nose is pretty smooth - except for the cut and right above it. The only disappointing area was just below my chin and a bit on either side of my neck around the larynx.

Day 6

Full shave but didn't have the time I had yesterday. No cuts but wasn't very close. I am now wondering if my angle was too shallow and didn't cut very well.

HappyOne:Do you have any green crox to touch-up the edge of your razor. If you've nicked your strop your blade may need a little refresh. Crox on balsa wood can do magic to a razors edge.

Top Bottom