What's new

New Whipped Dog Two-Band

I'm sure glad you didn't ask about High Mountain White. No one seems to really know just what it is. Call it expensive though.

Jim, I thought "High Mountain White" was just French for "ridiculously expensive silvertip in a handle with a sticker that falls-off." However, I admit that my French is a little rusty and I might be confusing it with Simpsons . . . :laugh:

Jim, I thought "High Mountain White" was just French for "ridiculously expensive silvertip in a handle with a sticker that falls-off." However, I admit that my French is a little rusty and I might be confusing it with Simpsons . . . :laugh:
Shots fired haha. I wish I could afford simpsons or bring myself to buying another brush.

Shots fired haha. I wish I could afford simpsons or bring myself to buying another brush.

You certainly do not need to buy a Simpsons or a Plisson in order to have a very high quality and attractive brush.

Whipped Dog is just one of a number of great value options that have more recently appeared in the marketplace

What size/loft and handle did you order?

Did Larry request feedback about the HM knot or give any indications if he intends to add the knot to his store?

I've had a very friendly email discussion with Larry about my thoughts on this knot, as well an alternative synthetic his is considering, and last we wrote, I know he was interested in additional opinions.

Also, don't forget to post pictures after your brush arrives!

I ordered the 24mm knot drilled to 20mm. Larry did not ask specifically for feedback however
he did say that the person who purchased one was pleased. I am looking forward to the brush.

I ordered the 24mm knot drilled to 20mm. Larry did not ask specifically for feedback however
he did say that the person who purchased one was pleased. I am looking forward to the brush.

I am confused. What do you mean by drilled to 20mm? How could a 24mm diameter fit into a 22mm hole?

I am confused. What do you mean by drilled to 20mm? How could a 24mm diameter fit into a 22mm hole?

Rnadel is referring to the depth of the hole in the handle, not the diameter of the knot or hole. The standard depth of the hole in WD handles in 10mm. For a minimal extra fee, Larry will drill down the hole up to an additional 10mm, for a maximum total depth of 20mm.

Since the WD 24mm HM knot has a total loft of 65mm, Rnadel's brush will have an effective loft of 45mm after it is glued in the handle, making it a very firm brush. For comparison, I requested that Larry drill my handle only an additional 5mm, for total hole depth of 15mm, and an effective loft of 50mm.

Rnadel is referring to the depth of the hole in the handle, not the diameter of the knot or hole. The standard depth of the hole in WD handles in 10mm. For a minimal extra fee, Larry will drill down the hole up to an additional 10mm, for a maximum total depth of 20mm.

Since the WD 24mm HM knot has a total loft of 65mm, Rnadel's brush will have an effective loft of 45mm after it is glued in the handle, making it a very firm brush. For comparison, I requested that Larry drill my handle only an additional 5mm, for total hole depth of 15mm, and an effective loft of 50mm.

Thanks!

I was on the fence about getting a new brush, but saw this thread a few days ago, and couldn't pass it up as my final pre restraint purchase. I went for the 24mm HM with a loft of 55mm. Will definitely have to report back after trying it out. After talking with Larry yesterday, I found out that he does still have some of these knots in stock in both 22mm and 24mm.

Well, my whipped dog HM came in today. I've only done a few test lathers, but I can already tell that this one is going to be a winner. More backbone than the wd silvertip, but still surprisingly soft.
$IMAG0761.jpg

I wanted a brush a bit on the bigger side. Something in a badger that was close to the size of my soc boar knot, and was pretty excited when I sat the two next to each other.

Attachments

• $IMAG0765-1.jpg
    $IMAG0765-1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 193
Well, my whipped dog HM came in today. I've only done a few test lathers, but I can already tell that this one is going to be a winner. More backbone than the wd silvertip, but still surprisingly soft.

I wanted a brush a bit on the bigger side. Something in a badger that was close to the size of my soc boar knot, and was pretty excited when I sat the two next to each other.

Very nice. I guess we're now part of small club. Do we need a secret handshake? :biggrin1:

Note that the HM softens-up even more over the first few uses. The difference is noticeable.

I'm also curious if Larry will choose to carry the knot as a regular offering

@emt88 What knot and loft has the WD on the right, the one with the black handle? Is it set deeper? I guess it's a silvertip....

@emt88 What knot and loft has the WD on the right, the one with the black handle? Is it set deeper? I guess it's a silvertip....
That one is the 22mm silvertip set at 50mm loft. That one was actually my first badger, and i have been really happy with it as well.

Ok, then my WD HM 24/50 should have enough backbone for facelathering... I was afraid that 50 mm is too much, and it's going to be floppy. But when i see that 22/50, i think 50 is ok. I like the looks of it, too :)

Top Bottom