What's new

Cruise Drink Package - Help me drink!

So I'm likely upgrading to the "Premium" drink package for my cruise. With that I get access to a number of brands and see it as an opportunity to try new stuff. Looking for some input on what to try.

I'm listing the brands I really haven't tried (or can't recall) to see if there are any must haves or no gos. I'm sure some are average/cheap and I've just never heard of it. I'm especially green when it comes to rum, tequila, and somewhat vodka.

Plenty of good selections without these (Macallan, Dalwhinnie, Highland Park scotchs. Bookers, Woodford, Knob Creek bourbon), but I also don't want to miss out a winner I wouldn't normally try. Probably would have to drink non-stop in order to cover everything, so also want to prioritize.

Vodka - (Heard good things about Russian Standard) Reval Classic, Belvedere, Three Olives, Effen, 42 Below, Rain Vodka, Symphony, X- Rated, Absolut Elyx, Xellent Swiss, Christiania, Pearl, Stolichnaya Elite, Ciroc Hangar, One Imperia, Jewel of Russia, Classic Reyka, Russian Standard, TRU Organic, Trump Super Premium, Charbay, Chopin, Belvedere Intense, Pravda

Gin - Hendrick's Gin, Plymouth English Gin, Tanqueray 10 Batch Distilled

Tequila (I know Patron, but don't really know the difference between them)- Milagro Silver, Cazadores Blanco, Cazadores Resposado, Cazadores Anejo ,Tequila Patron Silver, Patron Reposado, Patron XO Café, Don Julio Blanco, Gran Centenario Reposado Tequila, Herradura

Scotch/Whisky (Familiar with what Laophroaig offers. Heard of some of the others but not sure if they are worth trying)- Old Bushmills, Famous Grouse, Jameson, Chivas Century, Lagavulin, Laphroaig 10 Yrs,
Jameson 12yr Special Reserve, Dewar's 12 Yrs., Cragganmore , Jameson Gold

Bourbon - (Pretty sure Blanton's is good) Blanton's, Jack Daniels Honey, Basil Hayden, Bakers, Napoleon, Barsol , Pisco

Cognac - Courvoisier VS, Martell VS, Carlos 1, Courvoisier VSOP, Martell VSOP,Remy Martin VSOP

Rum - Matusalem Reserva, Myer's, Gosling's Black Seal, Bacardi Oakheart Spiced Rum, Bacardi 8,
Brugal Anejo, English Harbour, Leblon Cachaca, Barbancourt Mount Gay, Pyratt XO, 10 CanE, Flor de
Cana, Centenario Gold 18 years, Ron Zacapa Solera Grand Reserve 23 yrs

Aperitifs - Campari, Dubonnet, Frenet Branca, Pernod, Punt e Mes, Pimms, Limoncello, Aperol, Lillet Blanc, Lillet Rouge, Cherry Herring, Frangelico, Liquor43, Tia Maria, Alize Gold Passion, B&B, Bailey's, Benedictine, Cointreau, Chambord, Drambuie, Galliano, Godiva, Chocolate, Hpnotic, Midori, Absinthe, Amarula, Domaine de Canton Ginger, Grand Marnier, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, TY KU Soju, Veev Acai Berry Liqueur

Port/Sherry - Dry Sack, Harvey Bristol Cream, Lustau Solera, Tio Pepe, Taylor Fladgate, Gossart Gordon, Fonseca

You'll be on a boat - you'll have plenty of time to drink. :lol: Just keep good notes if you can.

I haven't had a lot of what's on this list, but I can offer the following:

Belvedere, Chopin, and Grey Goose for vodka. Those are relatively standard for top-shelf vodka, so try those out.

Definitely sip a little Patron and Don Julio - same as the vodka situation above. The Patron XO Cafe is a coffee-and-tequila liqueur that is highly recommended as an aperitif.

I rarely drank Scotch/Whisky but based on what others like I'd probably pass on what you haven't tried yet, especially given that they have what you like listed. I'll let the serious Scotch drinkers chime in here.

Bourbon: I've heard good things about JD Honey. Pisco could be interesting and is only found in South America, so you may want to try some.

That rum list looks good. Go for aged over Mount Gay and spiced.

Aperitifs: I've had Tia Maria, Grand Marinier, Chambord and St. Germain. Definitely try the St. Germain and Chambord. Skip Baileys because it's easy enough to pick up a mini. Tia Maria is a good coffee liqueur that may also be in a mini. My favorite aperitif is Grand Marinier, but unless you can get your hands on the 100- or 150-year I'd suggest to pick up a mini. I've also heard of bad things happening to too many people when they drink too much limoncello in too short of a time period. :lol:

Pass on the port/sherry. Nothing there really screams at me that's worth trying. If you're that hard up for after-dinner drinks, go for the aperitifs, cognacs, or aged rum

So I'm likely upgrading to the "Premium" drink package for my cruise. With that I get access to a number of brands and see it as an opportunity to try new stuff. Looking for some input on what to try.

I'm listing the brands I really haven't tried (or can't recall) to see if there are any must haves or no gos. I'm sure some are average/cheap and I've just never heard of it. I'm especially green when it comes to rum, tequila, and somewhat vodka.

Plenty of good selections without these (Macallan, Dalwhinnie, Highland Park scotchs. Bookers, Woodford, Knob Creek bourbon), but I also don't want to miss out a winner I wouldn't normally try. Probably would have to drink non-stop in order to cover everything, so also want to prioritize.

Vodka - (Heard good things about Russian Standard) Reval Classic, Belvedere, Three Olives, Effen, 42 Below, Rain Vodka, Symphony, X- Rated, Absolut Elyx, Xellent Swiss, Christiania, Pearl, Stolichnaya Elite, Ciroc Hangar, One Imperia, Jewel of Russia, Classic Reyka, Russian Standard, TRU Organic, Trump Super Premium, Charbay, Chopin, Belvedere Intense, Pravda

Gin - Hendrick's Gin, Plymouth English Gin, Tanqueray 10 Batch Distilled

Beefeater is another excellent Gin.

t really know the difference between them)- Milagro Silver, Cazadores Blanco, Cazadores Resposado, Cazadores Anejo ,Tequila Patron Silver, Patron Reposado, Patron XO Café, Don Julio Blanco, Gran Centenario Reposado Tequila, Herradura

Patron is overrated. Mescal is interesting.

aig offers. Heard of some of the others but not sure if they are worth trying)- Old Bushmills, Famous Grouse, Jameson, Chivas Century, Lagavulin, Laphroaig 10 Yrs,
Jameson 12yr Special Reserve, Dewar's 12 Yrs., Cragganmore , Jameson Gold

Bourbon - (Pretty sure Blanton's is good) Blanton's, Jack Daniels Honey, Basil Hayden, Bakers, Napoleon, Barsol , Pisco

Jack Daniels isn't what it used to be.

Carlos 1, Courvoisier VSOP, Martell VSOP,Remy Martin VSOP

If you can get XO Cognacs they are better than VSOPs. Also try Armagnac(s).

ced Rum, Bacardi 8,
Brugal Anejo, English Harbour, Leblon Cachaca, Barbancourt Mount Gay, Pyratt XO, 10 CanE, Flor de

I would avoid Bacardi and Spiced Rums.

t Branca, Pernod, Punt e Mes, Pimms, Limoncello, Aperol, Lillet Blanc, Lillet Rouge, Cherry Herring, Frangelico, Liquor43, Tia Maria, Alize Gold Passion, B&B, Bailey's, Benedictine, Cointreau, Chambord, Drambuie, Galliano, Godiva, Chocolate, Hpnotic, Midori, Absinthe, Amarula, Domaine de Canton Ginger, Grand Marnier, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, TY KU Soju, Veev Acai Berry Liqueur

Port/Sherry - Dry Sack, Harvey Bristol Cream, Lustau Solera, Tio Pepe, Taylor Fladgate, Gossart Gordon, Fonseca

Vintage & 10-20 Y O Tawny are excellent especially Taylor Fladgate, Graham's, Fonseca, Warre's, Dow. Osborne is an excellent Sherry.

Which cruise line & whereto? Ship? We are going on one, soon.

Last edited:
Vintage & 10-20 Y O Tawny are excellent especially Taylor Fladgate, Graham's, Fonseca, Warre's, Dow. Osborne is an excellent Sherry.

I agree, but he may have to wait until he's on board the ship to determine what's available. And a lot of those names on his list can be had for $20 a bottle or less if they're the standard staples. If they're pouring 20-year that's one thing, but there's a big enough liquor list there where port can be a pass... for this trip.

Basil Hayden and Baker's are both good on the bourbon front. The JD Honey is pretty sweet, you'll probably want to avoid mixing it with anything sweet (try with club soda or just straight).
If you'll be in warm weather there's a lot of good light drinks that can be made with some of the apertifs listed, especially Campari, Aperol and Lillet

I'm going on the Celebrity Constellation to Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria and Greece.

There are decent beers available as well, and like I said in the OP, plenty of brands I'm already familiar with. The "standard" package was free with our booking, so it is only about $12/day to move to premium which should give me access to just about anything I see short of some of the real high end stuff.

With that said, I'm also going to be curious as to what is available for "speciality" mixers. Not usually my bag, I tend to stick with whiskey/whisky neat or with a couple cubes, or at most a Manhattan, martini or Old Fashioned. I am making a list of some classic cocktails I've never had and see if the bartenders know what I am talking about.

I'm going to do my best to tiptoe the line between getting my money's wroth and trying new drinks, and not being miserable for day trips.

What is the comparison to the "basic package? Is it really going going to be worth it to upgrade to the premium package?

Oops just realized you answered that right above this post, but I can't seem to delete in tapatalk

I'll post the whole Celebrity Classic vs. Premium list if anyone is curious. Premium also gives access to espresso coffee drinks and "premium" water like Pellegrino. The brands are just what they apparently include at applicable price points. So "Classic" is "beer up to $6.00 per serving, spirits, cocktails, and frozen drinks priced up to $8.00 per serving, and wine up to $9.00 per serving". Premium is "beer, spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wine by the glass up to $13.00 per serving". Of course the cruise line has changed what is $8 and what is $13 before. Last time they did, there was apparently an uproar, so they backtracked. I still imagine their drinks at their trendy "mixology" bar are probably all at least $14 to keep the all you can drink crowd away.

Ultimately I'm a scotch/bourbon guy who does enjoy other things. The scotch at the "Classic" level was pretty weak. Blanton's and Makers Mark would probably be it on the bourbon front. So I'd probably get my money's worth out of single malt alone.

Classic: Beers
Bud Light, Budweiser, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Franziskaner, Strongbow, San Miguel, Tiger, Estrella Damm
Lager, Heineken Light, Heineken, Leffe, Corona, Corona Light
Alaska- Alaskan Amber, Alaskan Brewing Pale Ale, Alaskan Brewing IPA
UK - John Smith's Extra Smooth, Marston's Pedigree Ale

Spirits
Vodka
House Vodka, Smirnoff, Absolut, Absolut Flavors, Stolichnaya, Stoli Flavors, Ketel One, Effen, 42 Below,
Three Olives,

Gin
House Gin, Beefeater, Gordon's, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Plymouth English Gin

Tequila
House Tequila, Jose Cuervo Blanco, Milagro Silver, Cazadores Blanco, Cuervo Gold
Cazadores Resposado, Patron XO Café

Scotch
Cutty Sark, Old Black Bush, Chivas, Glenfiddich, Old Bushmills, Famous Grouse, Bell's, Johnny Walker
Red, Dewars White Label, J&B

Bourbon/Brandy
Jim Beam, Bour Deluxe, Napoleon, Cles Des Ducs VSOP, Martell VS, Blanton's, Makers Mark, Barsol
Pisco, Carlos 1, Metaxa 5 Star Classic, Jack Daniels, Jack Daniels Honey

Rum
Rum White House Pour, House Rum, Bacardi, Bacardi Flavors, Capt. Morgan, Matusalem Reserva,
Myer's, Malibu, Gosling's Black Seal – Bermuda, Bacardi Oakheart Spiced Rum, Bacardi 8,
Brugal Anejo, English Harbour, Leblon Cacha

Canadian Whiskey
Canadian Club, Seagram 7, Seagram VO, Crown Royal

Aperitifs/Cordials
Campari, Dubonnet, Pernod, Punt e Mes, Vermouth Dry, Vermouth Sweet, Amaretto, Anisette,
Frangelico, Kahlua, Liquor43, Ouzo, Peppermint Schnapps, Peach Schnapps, Pama Pomegranate Liqueur,
Southern Comfort, Sloe Gin, Tia Maria, Frenet Branca, Pimms 1, Limoncello, Aperol, Lillet Blanc, Lillet
Rouge, Aquavit, Alize Gold Passion, B&B, Benedictine, Cointreau, Chambord, Galliano, Goldschlager,
Godiva, Hpnotiq, Bailey's Irish Cream, Drambuie, Sambuca, Disaronno Amaretto

Full Premium List:
Beers
Bud Light, Budwesier, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Alaskan Brewery, Franziskaner, Strongbow Cider, O'Douls,
Blue Moon, Leffe Blonde Ale, Amstel Light, Corona, Heineken, Red Stripe, Sam Adams, Sapporo ,
Boddingtons, Hoegaarden, Dos Equis, Bohemia, Kirin, Kirin Light, Corona Guinness Stout, Newcastle
Ale, Stella Artois, Peroni, Sierra Nevada, La Fin Du Monde, Fullers London Pride, Anchor Steam, Rogue
Dead Guy Ale, Dogfish head, Ommeang Abby Ale

Spirits
Vodka
Smirnoff, Absolut, Stolichnaya, Reval Classic, Firefly, Ketel One, Belvedere, Three Olives, Effen, 42 Below,
Absolut 100, Rain Vodka, Symphony, X- Rated, Absolut Elyx, Xellent Swiss, Grey Goose, Christiania, Pearl,
Stolichnaya Elite, Ciroc Hangar, One Imperia, Jewel of Russia, Classic Reyka, Russian Standard, TRU
Organic, Trump Super Premium, Charbay, Chopin, Belvedere Intense, Pravda

Gin
Beefeater, Gordon's, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Hendrick's Gin, Plymouth English Gin, Tanqueray 10
Batch Distilled

Tequila
Jose Cuervo Blanco, Jose Cuervo Gold, Milagro Silver, Cazadores Blanco, Cazadores Resposado,
Cazadores Anejo ,Tequila Patron Silver, Patron Reposado, Patron XO Café, Don Julio Blanco, Gran
Centenario Reposado Tequila, Herradura

Scotch
Cutty Sark,Old Black Bush, Bell's, Chivas , Dewar's, Glenfiddich, J&B, Johnnie Walker Red & Black, Old
Bushmills, Famous Grouse, Jameson, Glenlivet, Chivas Century, Dalwhinnie, Lagavulin, Laphroaig 10 Yrs,
Jameson 12yr Special Reserve, Dewar's 12 Yrs., Macallan, Highland Park 12 yrs, Cragganmore , Jameson
Gold

Bourbon/Brandy
Jim Beam, Blanton's, Makers Mark, Jack Daniels, Jack Daniels Honey, Bookers, Knob Creek, Basil Hayden,
Woodford Reserve, Bakers, Napoleon, Barsol , Pisco, Courvoisier VS, Martell VS, Carlos 1, Courvoisier
VSOP, Martell VSOP,Remy Martin VSOP

Rum
Rum White House Pour, House Rum, Bacardi, Bacardi Flavors, Captain Morgan, Matusalem Reserva,
Myer's, Malibu, Gosling's Black Seal, Bacardi Oakheart Spiced Rum, Bacardi 8,

Canadian Whiskey
Canadian Club, Seagram 7, Seagram VO, Crown Royal

Aperitifs/Cordials
Campari, Dubonnet, Frenet Branca, Pernod, Punt e Mes, Vermouth Dry, Vermouth Sweet, Pimms,
Limoncello, Aperol, Lillet Blanc, Lillet Rouge, Amaretto, Anisette, Cherry Herring, Cassis, Frangelico,
Kahlua, Liquor43, Ouzo, Southern Comfort, Tia Maria, Alize Gold Passion, B&B, Bailey's, Benedictine,
Cointreau, Chambord, Drambuie, Galliano, Goldschlager, Godiva, Chocolate, Hpnotic, Jagermister,
Midori, Sambuca, Absinthe, Amarula, Domaine de Canton Ginger, Grand Marnier, St. Germain
Elderflower Liqueur, TY KU Soju, Veev Acai Berry Liqueur

Ports and Sherries
Dry Sack, Harvey Bristol Cream, Lustau Solera, Tio Pepe, Taylor Fladgate, Gossart Gordon, Fonseca

Last edited:
I'll post the whole Celebrity Classic vs. Premium list if anyone is curious. Premium also gives access to espresso coffee drinks and "premium" water like Pellegrino. The brands are just what they apparently include at applicable price points. So "Classic" is "beer up to $6.00 per serving, spirits, cocktails, and frozen drinks priced up to $8.00 per serving, and wine up to $9.00 per serving". Premium is "beer, spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wine by the glass up to $13.00 per serving". Of course the cruise line has changed what is $8 and what is $13 before. Last time they did, there was apparently an uproar, so they backtracked. I still imagine their drinks at their trendy "mixology" bar are probably all at least $14 to keep the all you can drink crowd away.

Ultimately I'm a scotch/bourbon guy who does enjoy other things. The scotch at the "Classic" level was pretty weak. Blanton's and Makers Mark would probably be it on the bourbon front. So I'd probably get my money's worth out of single malt alone.

Classic: Beers
Franziskaner, Strongbow,
Leffe,
Alaska- Alaskan Amber, Alaskan Brewing Pale Ale, Alaskan Brewing IPA
UK - John Smith's Extra Smooth, Marston's Pedigree Ale

Spirits
Vodka
House Vodka, Smirnoff, Absolut, Absolut Flavors, Stolichnaya, Stoli Flavors, Ketel One, Effen, 42 Below,
Three Olives,

Gin
House Gin, Beefeater, Gordon's, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Plymouth English Gin

Tequila
Milagro Silver, Cazadores Blanco,
Cazadores Resposado,
Scotch
Old Black Bush, Glenfiddich, Old Bushmills, Famous Grouse, Bell's,

Bourbon/Brandy
Blanton's, Barsol
Pisco, Carlos 1, Metaxa 5 Star Classic,

Rum Matusalem Reserva,
Gosling's Black Seal – Bermuda,
Brugal Anejo, English Harbour, Leblon Cacha

Aperitifs/Cordials
Campari, Dubonnet, Pernod, Punt e Mes, Vermouth Dry, Vermouth Sweet, Amaretto, Anisette,
Frangelico, Kahlua, Liquor43, Ouzo, Peppermint Schnapps, Peach Schnapps, Pama Pomegranate Liqueur,
Southern Comfort, Sloe Gin, Tia Maria, Frenet Branca, Pimms 1, Limoncello, Aperol, Lillet Blanc, Lillet
Rouge, Aquavit, Alize Gold Passion, B&B, Benedictine, Cointreau, Chambord, Galliano, Goldschlager,
Godiva, Hpnotiq, Bailey's Irish Cream, Drambuie, Sambuca, Disaronno Amaretto

We seldom drink them.

Full Premium List:
Beers, Alaskan Brewery, Franziskaner,
Leffe Blonde Ale,
Hoegaarden, Guinness Stout,
Sierra Nevada, La Fin Du Monde, Fullers London Pride, Anchor Steam, Rogue
Dead Guy Ale, Dogfish head, Ommeang Abby Ale

Spirits
Vodka
Smirnoff, Absolut, Stolichnaya, Reval Classic, Firefly, Ketel One, Belvedere, Three Olives, Effen, 42 Below,
Absolut 100, Rain Vodka, Symphony, X- Rated, Absolut Elyx, Xellent Swiss, Grey Goose, Christiania, Pearl,
Stolichnaya Elite, Ciroc Hangar, One Imperia, Jewel of Russia, Classic Reyka, Russian Standard, TRU
Organic, Trump Super Premium, Charbay, Chopin, Belvedere Intense, Pravda

We seldom/if ever drink Vodka.

Gin
Beefeater, Gordon's, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Hendrick's Gin, Plymouth English Gin, Tanqueray 10
Batch Distilled

Tequila
Milagro Silver, Cazadores Blanco, Cazadores Resposado,
Cazadores Anejo, Don Julio Blanco, Gran
Centenario Reposado Tequila, Herradura

Scotch
Old Black Bush, Bell's, Glenfiddich, Johnnie Walker Black, Old
Bushmills, Jameson, Glenlivet, Chivas Century, Dalwhinnie, Lagavulin, Laphroaig 10 Yrs,
Jameson 12yr Special Reserve, Dewar's 12 Yrs., Macallan, Highland Park 12 yrs, Cragganmore, Jameson
Gold

They have a good selection of Scotch Malt Whisky but the blends are weak.

Bourbon/Brandy
Blanton's, , Bookers, Knob Creek, Basil Hayden,
Woodford Reserve, Bakers, Napoleon, Barsol,Pisco, Carlos 1,

Rum
Matusalem Reserva,
Gosling's Black Seal,
Brugal Anejo, English Harbour, Leblon Cachaca, Barbancourt, Pyratt XO, 10 CanE, Flor de

Watch the stars on Barbancourt, the more the better; Mt. Gay if it is the Extra Old is worth drinking. Ron Zacapa is outstanding.

Canadian Whiskey
None worth drinking INMOP

Aperitifs/Cordials
Campari, Dubonnet, Frenet Branca, Pernod, Punt e Mes, Vermouth Dry, Vermouth Sweet, Pimms,
Limoncello, Aperol, Lillet Blanc, Lillet Rouge, Amaretto, Anisette, Cherry Herring, Cassis, Frangelico,
Kahlua, Liquor43, Ouzo, Southern Comfort, Tia Maria, Alize Gold Passion, B&B, Bailey's, Benedictine,
Cointreau, Chambord, Drambuie, Galliano, Goldschlager, Godiva, Chocolate, Hpnotic, Jagermister,
Midori, Sambuca, Absinthe, Amarula, Domaine de Canton Ginger, Grand Marnier, St. Germain
Elderflower Liqueur, TY KU Soju, Veev Acai Berry Liqueur

We seldom drink them.

Ports and Sherries
Lustau Solera, Taylor Fladgate, Gossart Gordon, Fonseca; Port is worth drinking if Vintage or 10-20 Y O Tawny.

We have cruised many times with Celebrity and have found the remaining worth drinking. May you and yours have a wonderful time!

Last edited:
The premium list doesn't look all that bad, especailly for a mere $12 extra a day. Like you said, you'd probably make that up on the single malt front. Beer list is much better too. The "classic list" beers are pretty much just all the same light lager made in different countries with different names. All of the beers from Sierra Nevada to the end of the list are awesome. Much better than the selection I've seen on any of the crusies I've been on (Disney and Carnival), which admittedly aren't tailored to the drinking or high end drinking crowd respectively.

Personally I'd stay away from JD Honey. It is super sweet, and inexpensive and easily available at most places. Unless you like super sweet, I'd just sample it one night locally and be done with it.

And that is what I'd attempt to do with the other bourbons/drinks on your list as well. Prioritize anything you can't find locally. And don't forget to enjoy the destinations too. :)

Yes the end of the beer list is good as well, although most I can get here.

I also plan to go through a number of "classic" cocktails I've never had. I'd hope they'd have bartenders who are decent enough to know what they are and make them correctly. Negroni, Sidecar, Sazerac, a "real" daquiri, Caipirinha, Stinger. More on a list.

For the scotch, I'd say the Lagavulin is the one most deserving of attention, followed by Dalwhinnie and maybe Cragganmore. Note that the standard bottling of Lagavulin is 16yo, which may make it older than any of the other offerings (common age is 12). I think Dalwhinnie might be 15yo by default, but I'm not certain about that one.

Beer - I found Kirin quite nice when I was in Japan.

Bourbon - Woodford Reserve is worth trying at least once.

On a bit of a side note, I've always been mystified by the idea of 'premium' or 'sipping' vodka, since the defining characteristic of "good vodka" is that it doesn't taste like anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom