What's new

After the R41 whats next?

I've only been wet shaving for nine months and I'm still learning. Can't say I get a perfect shave every time but my shaving skills are coming along. I hardly ever nick myself with the r41 and am virtually razor burn free and after using Cella my lathering skills have stepped up considerably.

So, after checking my credit card rewards it looks like I'm close to having enough for a stainless razor.

Question is what SS razor gives a close shave like the r41?

Tradere seems the closest to what I'm looking for and then there's Feather (with feather blades?) not as close but quality wise might be a what I'm looking for.

Recommendations?

Sounds like it might be time to consider a straight.

Or invest in an ATT razor with an H2 plate - similar to the R41's closeness, in stainless.

The razor has a one month, unconditional guarantee.

after r41 definitely a straight! and once you are "one" with the razor then you are a jedi. there are a lots of yodas in here to show you the way. may the force be with you!

Go with the straight if honing and stropping are not off-putting to you. If it does, consider an ATT H2 and 3. Love my 2013 R41, and the H2 Kronos is comparable in aggression and has more heft to it.

As a long-time DE shaver who settled on the R41 before switching to straights, I see little use in spending money on milder DE razors (even if it's on a stainless steel DE), if the R41 is the one that you like and that suits you.

IMO, the next logical step would indeed be a straight.

B.

Something like, say, like an ATT razor with an H2 plate. With the ATT, you have a choice of five other base plates.

And also the option to shave with the base plate removed altogether. Just the top cap, blade, some shims for stiffness, and the handle.

ATT H2, which is basically what you have now, or a straight. I am in the same position and look forward to your experiences.

I was shaving exclusively with'11 R41. A relative gave me a gift certificate for WCS this year so I popped for a '13 Rosegold. I've been putting that beauty through the paces and am finding the daily shaves more comfortable. I think it suits the pace of my beard growth better for the daily scrapes.

R41 is quite a bit of a RAD killer... Just accept you have what you wanted! Now you have your chance to begin saving money.

I don't have much interest in getting other razors since I mastered the R41.

I still enjoy trying new soaps and have some interest in different brushes, but I have found my razor.

I have one spare put away and will probably pick up another one or two to go the distance, but I am settled on the R41.

Sometimes I will use one of my NEWs or a slant for variety on the first pass, or an injector.

But the R41 is the ultimate daily driver for me.

Sounds like it might be time to consider a straight.
+1

after r41 definitely a straight! and once you are "one" with the razor then you are a jedi. there are a lots of yodas in here to show you the way. may the force be with you!
+1
As a long-time DE shaver who settled on the R41 before switching to straights, I see little use in spending money on milder DE razors (even if it's on a stainless steel DE), if the R41 is the one that you like and that suits you.
+1
IMO, the next logical step would indeed be a straight.

B.
+1
Another vote for a straight.

A slant. ATT will have a stainless (?) one of these days. Meanwhile, grab a 39c. You might be surprised at how effective it can be when compared to the R41.

Top Bottom