What's new

Recommend: Vintage automatic watch ~$100

I'm not really a watch guy, but I am looking for a vintage wristwatch that's automatic preferably, if not then manual is okay.

Was looking at these....

Seiko 5 & Divers & Grand Seiko
Vostok
Poljot

Any other brands/ models to look out for? I'm looking for something reliable, clean, bulletproof and not too big. I have small wrists. Ya I can admit it :)

Any recommendations in and around $100?

Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:
I am not very knowledgeable of the vintage watch market, but how vintage are you considering? Something from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's?? I would expect that anything that would sell for $100 would cost the same or more for servicing.

A new Seiko 5 is worth consideration.

If you can find a real Grand Seiko for around $100 please tell me. Thanks.

Look into Seiko 5 Field Watch SNZG15J1

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking for a 50+ year old watch; consider a Hamilton, overall they are/were our best made domestic watches.

I also like the Bulova Accutron, but it's electric and the batteries which it was designed around are very difficult to find. The replacement battery is a slightly higher voltage and can ruin the watch. Great looking watch and a good conversation piece.

It's possible you come across a deal on a 1961 Rolex Submariner at a garage sale but on the open market you'll be pressed to find a vintage automatic for around a $100.

Of the Russian the ones you mention... You might find the windup models for that but the automatics tend to fetch more by collectors. I'm not saying you wont find one, but your hunt is on.

I recommend getting a brand new Vostok Anphibian Automatic. Very well made, heavy duty, pretty accurate for a mechanical (you can always bounce an update off your smart phone). Excellent diver rated very conservatively at 200m.

Factor in the costs of repairs and or adjustments with a vintage piece and you'll thank me.

I'm not really a watch guy, but I am looking for a vintage wristwatch that's automatic preferably, if not then manual is okay.

Was looking at these....

Seiko 5 & Divers & Grand Seiko
Vostok
Poljot

Any other brands/ models to look out for? I'm looking for something reliable, clean, bulletproof and not too big. I have small wrists. Ya I can admit it :)

Any recommendations in and around $100?

Thanks in advance:)

Forget a Grand Seiko...you'll need to add a left digit to your budget to make that happen.

For what's within your stated budget right now, I would suggest these:

1) Used Bulova Marine Star;
2) Used Seiko 5;

But, if, as you state, you have small wrists, almost any Seiko diver, Vostok or Poljot will be too large for you.

For a couple of hundred extra dollars, pick up a stainless Tag Heuer 2000 Classic on Craigslist (model 2116-1) and be done with all your criteria. They go for about $300 dollars and are as bombproof as anything gets.

BZiel

KCCO
(Bill FU@^ing Murray)

But, if, as you state, you have small wrists, almost any Seiko diver, Vostok or Poljot will be too large for you.

My wife wears a Vostok amphibian 420 and she's no amazonian by any stretch. Tiny wrists she has. The case is at 40mm diameter not including the crown. I'd also recommend the 100 case. It's a tad larger than the 420 but another option.

As previously stated, you're not going to find a Grand Seiko, King Seiko or Lord Marvel in your price range unless it wants some serious work on it.

If you're an eBay user, there are some nice 'mid range' Seikos which come up occasionally, especially from India or the far east. Might be worth searching on profiles like vintage seiko, or seiko 3600 or seiko hi beat and see if anything interesting comes up.

Besides the good advice above, perhaps an Orient watch might also be something considering.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a Seiko 5 from 1977, this is a shot in the dark as its coming from a seller in India.

I also ordered a new Orient Blue Mako. I was talking to a few other people and they warned to look out for some of the vintage watches out there. They may need some serious work.

They also suggested the orient brand, which I never heard of before. They all said its a solid brand that produces great watches for the price paid. Well built, finished and reliable.

I looked at both the Ray and the Mako. I opted for the Blue Mako due to the styling.

I still might get a better vintage watch, but I'll put that on hold.

I did like the look of the High Beats. So those may be an option down the road.

As far as wrist size, mine is 7-7 1/4". To me that's on the smallish side, but after watching a metric ton of YouTube reviews, it seems to be a pretty common size. At least based of the people producing the reviews :)

Thanks again

I think that you'll be very happy with the Orient Mako. A great watch with classic styling. I'm very pleased with mine.

Well the Orient Blue Mako arrived yesterday.

For $100 this is an amazing deal. I'm very impressed with the feel, look etc. amazingly detailed the blue in the dial is stunning. I'm very happy with this purchase already!

I will post a pic of the Seiko 5 when it arrives. Should be a few weeks out.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411556237.721208.jpg

Forget a Grand Seiko...you'll need to add a left digit to your budget to make that happen.

For what's within your stated budget right now, I would suggest these:

1) Used Bulova Marine Star;
2) Used Seiko 5;

For a couple of hundred extra dollars, pick up a stainless Tag Heuer 2000 Classic on Craigslist (model 2116-1) and be done with all your criteria. They go for about $300 dollars and are as bombproof as anything gets.

BZiel

KCCO
(Bill FU@^ing Murray)

My wrists are so small I have to punch a new hole or two in virtually every strap I buy. I find Vostok and Poljot sizes are just fine - many are sized at 38mm, some even less.

Nice looking submariner homage there matey! :boat:

My wrists are so small I have to punch a new hole or two in virtually every strap I buy. I find Vostok and Poljot sizes are just fine - many are sized at 38mm, some even less.

I have to do the same with straps.

Last edited:
Another Blue Mako owner here....probably the best value in a new watch going. I always find myself staring at the dial!

I like the looks of that Seiko 5 field watch in the video posted above. Also, the current version of the Monster is pretty cool (it hacks and hand-winds), but a little out of your $100 price range.

Top Bottom