What's new

Favorite Pumpkin Beer

As the title suggests, what's your favorite pumpkin beer? Got a least favorite, let's hear it too.

My favorite is probably the Sam Adams version. Least favorite was the Pumpkick from New Belgium. I just didn't like the additional cranberry juice. It'd actually turn your tongue red.

I really don't like pumpkin beer at all, but I tasted NoDa's Gordgeous Pumpkin Ale the other day and it was OK. One of the brewers at NoDa told me that that they have a cask aged imperial version that will be ready around Thanksgiving at the brewery in Charlotte, NC.

For me Southern Tier's Pumpking is one of the best. Dogfish Head brews a pretty good Pumpkin Ale as well.

$pumking-beer.jpg

Last edited:
Fordham & Dominion Spiced Harvest Ale is probably my favorite "pumpkin" beer, mainly because it doesn't taste overly sweet and pumpkiny. It's got more of that pumpkin spice type of taste... cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice and pumpkin.

I'm also a fan of Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale for second place.

Needless to say, I like my local breweries.

I've heard a lot of good things about Southern Tier but never tried it as we don't get it where I live in Canada. I am having the Elysian Nightowl right now. I like it but I suspect most people will think it is a spice bomb.

The Southern Tier Warlock is solid. Better than the Pumking, at least last year. YMMV, but I've found the Pumking changes fairly significantly from year to year.

The Southern Tier Warlock is solid. Better than the Pumking, at least last year. YMMV, but I've found the Pumking changes fairly significantly from year to year.

Yeah it does seem to change from year to year. Southern Tier is expanding their production of Pumking so we'll see if it effects the taste.

Pumking is king. Warlock and Dogfish's Punkin Ale are close seconds. Terrapin's Pumpkinfest and New Holland's Ichabod are more distant (but still great!) thirds.

Dogfish head Punkin is my favorite.

Another good one is Lakefront Brewery's Pumpkin Lager...its not overly sweet, and has just a hint of pumpkin and nutmeg. I usually grab a 6 pack of it every year.

Last year, I managed to get the very last portion of a keg at a local bar. It was a sample of the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Pumpkin Ale. I found it to be pretty good, but I haven't seen any yet to know if they are making it again. I feel I need a full size beer in order to verify if it is actually any good or not. :)

I love dog fish heads punkin... well the spice is dominant. Sometimes i feel that the pumpkin gives the beer a off flavor but if done right its a bang

As previously mentioned, Pumpking does vary from year to year, but it tends to be my favorite none-the-less. Picked up 2 from Binnys on Saturday and haven't had a chance to try them yet...tonight might be the night!

Top Bottom