What's new

Razor Suggestions

Hey Everyone,

I have been wet shaving for over 6 months now and love it! My friend suggested the EJ DE89 razor. I have enjoyed it, but I am wanting to go to the next level and find a razor that is more aggressive. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction with a few suggestions of razors that they have used over the years. I appreciate your time and enjoy the site.

BL

While it might not be more aggressive, you can try an open comb razor to change it up. Vintage razors can be found pretty frequently on the BST for great prices. I'd recommend a Gillette New Long Comb.

You can also try out a Gillette Slim Adjustable where you have infinite possibilities to experiment with aggressiveness. Well.. not infinite.. 9 possibilities. But these are often pretty reasonably priced as well on the BST.

If you want something pretty aggressive you can try to get a Gillette Old Type which is also open comb and probably as aggressive as you're going to get with a vintage.

Why do you want to change razors, is your EJ not getting the job done for you or do you just want to try something new?
There are no levels, just different tools that have different pros and cons.

I love my EJ...I was just wanting to try something new and might start buying a few razors. I have tried a ton of blades with the EJ with different results (some good and some bad), but have heard of people talking about a better shave with different razors that have more blade exposure. The only problem I have had with me EJ is some of the finish is already coming off on the side of the head. I have only cleaned it with soap and water so far.

I started with the same razor a few month ago and wanted to try different razors as well, I tried a Slim adjustable but it just doesn't do it for me despite many tries with it on various settings. My favourites so far are the Gillette Rocket HD and Flare tip Super Speed and it seems I like vintage razors better

I like my Merkur slant. But EJ will likely replace defective head if it's corroding already. Their customer service is great.

I've used an EJ DE87 for several years and really like it. (it was my only razor) Like you I wanted to try something a tad more aggressive and bought a RazoRock Jaws open comb back in February. That too does a wonderful job with less passes than the EJ. For me anyway, the EJ works great with Astra SP or Voskhod blades and the Jaws is perfect mated with a Feather blade. YMMV

Can't beat it for the price.

I have been wet shaving for over 6 months now and love it! My friend suggested the EJ DE89 razor. I have enjoyed it, but I am wanting to go to the next level and find a razor that is more aggressive. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction with a few suggestions of razors that they have used over the years. I appreciate your time and enjoy the site.
Maybe it's time to take a look on the vintage razors? With little effort and a low budget you can get hold of something more efficient than your present Edwin Jagger.

I would recommend a Gillette NEW or a twist to open (TTO) Red Tip Super Speed. Either is easily obtainable from Ebay (UK or US). I have both a NEW and a Red Tip in my rotation long after I got rid of my Edwin Jagger...

NEW to the left (with after market handle) and Red Tip (second from right)​

Last edited by a moderator:
"Aggressive" in shaving is like the Emperor's new clothes. Lotsa talk, but nothing in reality.

As the theory goes, an aggressive set up gets you a closer shave with less work (fewer passes, I guess) but with some risk of skin damage/cutting. In other words, its for experts or whatever.

I've been doing this for quite some time, get BBS fairly easily with any-old set up, and have NEVER found a set up that reduces the number of passes I need for BBS. I need 2 passes on my face and 3 under the chin area, period.

There are blades that just seem crude and ineloquent to me, like a standard Feather, but they don't get me there faster...

BTW, love my '50s Hoffritz Slant! Never a problem with harshness.

I think the aggressive-thing is bull.

Last edited:
Well, if you want different and more aggressive maybe try a vintage Single Edge razor. I have a GEM Cloug Pruf, Feather weight, and a 1912, they are fun to use and very different from a DE razor. I'll shave with one once a week just to change things up.

Well I will weigh in. I love my Merkur long handle Progress. It can give you numerous amounts of different shaving from "mild" to "aggressive". It is my go to razor because it gives me versatility. I shave my head and my face so having a razor that can adjust works very well for me. Because some of my razors shave my face great, but they don't do the best on the old dome. So the Progress lets me do the adjustments and get the right setting for each. So that is just my experience and thought I would share as it may help. YMMV.

Having tried many of the more expensive brands (iKon, ATT, Feather, Weber, etc) I am most in love with my Standard Razor. It's an overlooked brand but I find it has the perfect aggressiveness and I love the light weight aluminum. The fit and finish are top notch.

Try the Weber with a bulldog handle. It is a relatively modest investment for you to understand what kind of aggressiveness you wish to get since this is very subjective.

Top Bottom