What's new

Yes, it's another strop restoration question.

I know there are tons of strop restoration threads, but I have a very specific question.

I'm considering the purchase of a very old, very thick horsehide strop. It is in good shape except for three or four slices on one edge of the lower half. These go less than a third of the way through the thickness of the strop and the longest is about an inch long, the shortest 1/2 inch.

These are too deep to sand out, have any of you filled in a divot or glued a slice? If so, what did you use and how did it turn out?

I've heard of some people using CA (crazy glue) on strop slices. Anyone try it? Would you recommend it (is it hard enough to mark the blade?)? How about ducco cement or "shoe goo"?

Would you guys just use it as is or would you glue it or would you pass on the purchase?

Thanks in advance.

The CA repairs are to glue down a flap. In that case the CA never contacts the blade. If the slice does not lent itself to that I would sand to make sure no edges are sticking up where they could affect the blade and then recondition the leather and use it.

Honestly, for a user, unless you're already attached, I'd pass. Another, better vintage strop will be along in a minute...

I've never bothered with any repairs to a strop beyond sanding it down. Generally if the cuts are going to interfere with stropping even after a sanding, I consider it trashed.

Top Bottom