What's new

BBS-1 #13 First Impression

Eventually I'll create an aggressiveness poll for the BBS-1, but for now, on our scale of 1 to 10 ... where would you guys peg it?

It's really difficult to answer this one. As far as closeness, I would say 10. I have gotten a shave just as smooth as my 2011 Mühle R41, which I've never been able to do with any razor apart from the R41. However, if you're measuring how aggressive it feels on the face, then I would probably rate it more like a two or three.

I am sure there are people out there who would classify this as a somewhat mild razor that can shave very, very close. There are probably others who would call it an aggressive razor that is very smooth and safe to use. What I can tell you first-hand is that when I switched back to my post-war Gillette Tech, I cut myself about 10 times in one shave, because I was so accustomed to how the BBS-1 shaves. You can use pressure, go ATG on the first pass, shave way too fast and lose concentration with the BBS-1, and you'll have a difficult time cutting yourself.

Hey! I just figured out a legitimate negative comment I can make about the BBS-1, so as to maintain my objectivity! It is, without a doubt, an enabler of bad shaving habits! If you are training for the 2016 Shaving Olympics, do not buy the BBS-1. Before you know it, you're going to forget how easy it can be to cut yourself while shaving. :lol:

There, see, I made a negative comment!

It's really difficult to answer this one. As far as closeness, I would say 10. I have gotten a shave just as smooth as my 2011 Mühle R41, which I've never been able to do with any razor apart from the R41. However, if you're measuring how aggressive it feels on the face, then I would probably rate it more like a two or three.

I am sure there are people out there who would classify this as a somewhat mild razor that can shave very, very close. There are probably others who would call it an aggressive razor that is very smooth and safe to use. What I can tell you first-hand is that when I switched back to my post-war Gillette Tech, I cut myself about 10 times in one shave, because I was so accustomed to how the BBS-1 shaves. You can use pressure, go ATG on the first pass, shave way too fast and lose concentration with the BBS-1, and you'll have a difficult time cutting yourself.

Hey! I just figured out a legitimate negative comment I can make about the BBS-1, so as to maintain my objectivity! It is, without a doubt, an enabler of bad shaving habits! If you are training for the 2016 Shaving Olympics, do not buy the BBS-1. Before you know it, you're going to forget how easy it can be to cut yourself while shaving. :lol:

There, see, I made a negative comment!

WOW... If I had to do a write up about the English flat bottom Tech, all I have to do is take all of your posts about the BBS-1 and replace "BBS-1" with "English flat bottom Tech"... :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to hear what you have to say about the English flat Tech when you get it! :thumbup1:

WOW... If I had to do a write up about the English flat bottom Tech, all I have to do is take all of your posts about the BBS-1 and replace "BBS-1" with "English flat bottom Tech"... :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to hear what you have to say about the English flat Tech when you get it! :thumbup1:

Now, an important distinction is that I haven't yet managed to score a "raised flat bottom" Tech. From what I can see, those look a lot like NEW LCs that didn't have the teeth machined into them. I've also found them to be very elusive.

This is the one I have coming from across the pond:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141407841335?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If it's the same as what you're talking about, then you are in for a thorough write-up, and I'm a wind-bag. :lol:

Now, an important distinction is that I haven't yet managed to score a "raised flat bottom" Tech. From what I can see, those look a lot like NEW LCs that didn't have the teeth machined into them. I've also found them to be very elusive.

This is the one I have coming from across the pond:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141407841335?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If it's the same as what you're talking about, then you are in for a thorough write-up, and I'm a wind-bag. :lol:

That's the one! Nice score...

I use mine with the ATT Kronos handle...

Well, I got the English flat Tech, and used it this morning. The first thing I need to say is that if I suddenly stop posting on the forum, it's because the police came and took me away. I stole that razor! I really thought that I'd get it, and there would be some major flaw. Really, all I was after was the head, anyway, so I didn't care too much. Well, that thing is just as flawless as it looks in the pictures. Aside from a small chip on the inside, the Bakelite case looks like you could see it in a store window. The razor was clearly used, but it was well taken care of. I don't think anyone would mistake it for NOS, but it is in superb condition. Plus, I don't think I could get a regular old cased American Tech in that condition for $40 shipped.

So for the shave, I must admit, I am a little surprised at how much more aggressive it is than the American version. People tend to split hairs on B&B. (no pun intended.) I've heard that the pre-war Tech is more aggressive than the post-war tech, and while that might be true in a very esoteric sense, 99/100 people wouldn't be able to tell them apart blindfolded.

No so with the English flat bottom Tech. You are absolutely 100% correct in saying that it has characteristics very similar to the BBS-1. The "face feel" of the two are very similar, in that I was able to push the Tech very hard and not cut myself. At the same time, it shaved a lot closer than the American version.

I will say, though that the BBS-1 shaves a bit closer than the English flat Tech. My methodology was simple. I did a very aggressive 3-pass shave with the English Tech. My face felt very smooth, although I had a little more irritation than I normally get with the BBS-1. After I got my face as smooth as I could, (what I would have called a BBS shave about two months ago) I put the same blade into the BBS-1 and did another pass. Although my face felt pretty smooth, I was able to feel quite a bit of stubble with the BBS-1, and I confirmed that it was getting more hair than the English Tech by looking at the black spots in my shaving foam.

So, if you've used the English flat Tech, I would say for comparison that the BBS-1 shaves very similarly, and gets slightly closer. Not by a huge amount, mind you. Even if it only shaved just a couple microns closer, I would still see lots of black specks in my shaving foam. Also, as it was my first time with the English Tech, there is probably room for refinement in my technique.

So that's one more razor that I can compare to the BBS-1, and it's still at the top of my razor heap.

Last edited:
Chamm,

Would you be willing to show some photos of the BBS-1 and the GFB Tech side by side? I'm curious to see how similar they are to one another.

-joedy

I can snap some pictures tonight. If I forget (which is about 50% likely) just PM me, and I'll get to it. :)

Well, I got the English flat Tech, and used it this morning. The first thing I need to say is that if I suddenly stop posting on the forum, it's because the police came and took me away. I stole that razor! I really thought that I'd get it, and there would be some major flaw. Really, all I was after was the head, anyway, so I didn't care too much. Well, that thing is just as flawless as it looks in the pictures. Aside from a small chip on the inside, the Bakelite case looks like you could see it in a store window. The razor was clearly used, but it was well taken care of. I don't think anyone would mistake it for NOS, but it is in superb condition. Plus, I don't think I could get a regular old cased American Tech in that condition for $40 shipped.

So for the shave, I must admit, I am a little surprised at how much more aggressive it is than the American version. People tend to split hairs on B&B. (no pun intended.) I've heard that the pre-war Tech is more aggressive than the post-war tech, and while that might be true in a very esoteric sense, 99/100 people wouldn't be able to tell them apart blindfolded.

No so with the English flat bottom Tech. You are absolutely 100% correct in saying that it has characteristics very similar to the BBS-1. The "face feel" of the two are very similar, in that I was able to push the Tech very hard and not cut myself. At the same time, it shaved a lot closer than the American version.

I will say, though that the BBS-1 shaves a bit closer than the English flat Tech. My methodology was simple. I did a very aggressive 3-pass shave with the English Tech. My face felt very smooth, although I had a little more irritation than I normally get with the BBS-1. After I got my face as smooth as I could, (what I would have called a BBS shave about two months ago) I put the same blade into the BBS-1 and did another pass. Although my face felt pretty smooth, I was able to feel quite a bit of stubble with the BBS-1, and I confirmed that it was getting more hair than the English Tech by looking at the black spots in my shaving foam.

So, if you've used the English flat Tech, I would say for comparison that the BBS-1 shaves very similarly, and gets slightly closer. Not by a huge amount, mind you. Even if it only shaved just a couple microns closer, I would still see lots of black specks in my shaving foam. Also, as it was my first time with the English Tech, there is probably room for refinement in my technique.

So that's one more razor that I can compare to the BBS-1, and it's still at the top of my razor heap.

Excellent write up! :thumbup1: I think you should put the English Flat Bottom Tech on top since it's 64-74 years old. :thumbup: The BBS-1 is just a baby.. :lol:

To add:

Do you think the English flat bottom Tech is on par with the BBS-1 prototype since it has less blade exposure?

Last edited:
Sadly, no pictures tonight. I need sleep! I'm going to take them to work tomorrow and take some side-by-sides.

Mr. Chamm..... Your photos, please?

$your-country-needs-you.jpg

Sorry! I've taken the razors to work three days in a row, and no time to take photos... I might set up my light box this weekend and take some decent ones.

The BBS-1 is still easily the best razor in my collection. I have many others that I enjoy using, it when I need an easy, close, reliable shave, I always grab my BBS-1.

(Never did get around to those photos! :lol: )

Just ordered one yesterday, can't wait! What I can't see from the pictures though is what holds the razor in place when loaded?! My ATT S2 has two tiny pins and my Feather as-d2 you can see the two strips that align the blade. But I don't see anything like that for the BBS-1 or am I just looking at it wrong?

You couldn't move the blade a tenth of a millimeter even if you wanted to. Very snug fit, adjusted perfectly.

Top Bottom