What's new

BBS-1 #13 First Impression

I've been on the hunt for a raised-bottom English tech for nearly a year. The are NOT easy to come by... :-(

If you're really talking about the Hybrid ( you must be because the Flat Bottoms aren't rare at all) just recently one sold for like $60.

What a fantastic deal.

Not the raised flat bottom Tech, that's the hybrid... I have the English Flat bottom Tech... How does it compare to this one?

View attachment 498438View attachment 498439

Oh... I DO have one of those... I've only used it once. I still haven't shaved today, so maybe I'll compare them. From what I remember, that tech seemed pretty similar in performance to the regular tech, maybe slightly more aggressoive, but I'll answer a little more authoritatively in a couple hours.

If you're really talking about the Hybrid ( you must be because the Flat Bottoms aren't rare at all) just recently one sold for like $60.

What a fantastic deal.

Ah man... where was I? I've been on the hunt for one of those for a long time!! I think in the last year or so, I've only seen one that I might have been in a position to buy, but the funds were a little low at the time. Plus, I seem to remember it being over $100, which is a little rich for a razor I probably wouldn't end up using all that often. (Although who knows... maybe I'd love it...)

Ah man... where was I? I've been on the hunt for one of those for a long time!! I think in the last year or so, I've only seen one that I might have been in a position to buy, but the funds were a little low at the time. Plus, I seem to remember it being over $100, which is a little rich for a razor I probably wouldn't end up using all that often. (Although who knows... maybe I'd love it...)

I believe he was talking about an English Flat bottom selling for $60, not the hybrid...

I have both razors. I'll let you guess which one I prefer... ;-D
I also have a Tradere OC 1st Gen and SB, ATT H1 and H2, Weber PH, iKon DLC Slant, OC and SB, and RR DLC Slant.

Never tried a PILS or Feather...

I have the R1 and M2 ATT, and both are great razors. I also have a first gen. Tradere OC and the SB, as well as the Weber PH, iKon SB, Feather ASD2, and PILS. I like them all, seriously. But for me it's a little difficult to answer the "how does it compare" questions. The BBS-1 has the audio feedback of the PILS, but less aggression than the ATT R1. It seems to have the unexpected forgiving nature of the Feather, and the efficiency of the Tradere SB (another of my favorites). Like I said......hard for me to compare. But not hard to proclaim it one of my absolute favorites, ever.

I have the R1 and M2 ATT, and both are great razors. I also have a first gen. Tradere OC and the SB, as well as the Weber PH, iKon SB, Feather ASD2, and PILS. I like them all, seriously. But for me it's a little difficult to answer the "how does it compare" questions. The BBS-1 has the audio feedback of the PILS, but less aggression than the ATT R1. It seems to have the unexpected forgiving nature of the Feather, and the efficiency of the Tradere SB (another of my favorites). Like I said......hard for me to compare. But not hard to proclaim it one of my absolute favorites, ever.

Thanks for this. Very helpful for me :)

Interesting that it is slightly less aggressive then the R1. I am curious about the face feel between the BBS 1 and the ATT. They seem to be different concepts. ATT is low gap big blade exposure while this is big gap low blade exposure.

Oh... I DO have one of those... I've only used it once. I still haven't shaved today, so maybe I'll compare them. From what I remember, that tech seemed pretty similar in performance to the regular tech, maybe slightly more aggressoive, but I'll answer a little more authoritatively in a couple hours.

Nope, I am apparently a dirty liar. I have the flat bottom OC, but not the tech. :( Guess there will be no comparison...

Interesting that it is slightly less aggressive then the R1. I am curious about the face feel between the BBS 1 and the ATT. They seem to be different concepts. ATT is low gap big blade exposure while this is big gap low blade exposure.

I'm planning to shave with the ATT R1 tomorrow, which will follow the first round with the BBS-1. I'll try my best to give an objective comparison after that. I haven't shaved with the R1 for a few weeks, so this should be a good opportunity for a little A/B.

Nope, I am apparently a dirty liar. I have the flat bottom OC, but not the tech. :( Guess there will be no comparison...

If you haven't tried all of Gillette's razors, how can you make this statement?

I've shared this sentiment with John at LASSC, but here is the fact that really just blows my mind: Gillette literally had entire buildings full of design engineers for decades. I would have thought they had studied every possibly permutation for how a razor could be designed. They tinkered, calculated, prototyped and tried thousands upon thousands of different razor designs. Yet one passionate wet shaving enthusiast and one particularly gifted Canadian machinist have made a razor which, hands down, bests anything the Gillette company ever produced. I'll grant the fact that designing the razor itself was only a portion of Gillette's task, and John wasn't burdened by the need to be able to produce millions of razors per year. But still, it's just amazing to me that two guys could out-perform over a half-century of the world's best engineers working on a product whibecauseat its core, so incredibly simple.

It just goes to show that there is always room for improvement. (Although the BBS-1 might have made that room just a little bit more cramped...)

If you haven't tried all of Gillette's razors, how can you make this statement?

Well, mr smarty pants, on the heels of this thread, I went ahead and found a very amiably priced flat-bottom English Tech on fleabay. :-D

I'll have that comparison just as soon as it gets through customs. :lol:

Wow 225 for a Stainless Steel Razor? I guess they kept the price higher than ATT to lure people into thinking they are getting a better made and better shaving Razor then ATT? Maybe i Should come out with a SS Razor and price it at $385.00 So People can think its better then the rest ?

I haven't been here in a while, but i sure see prices going up for SS Razors, I will sit back on this one.

Wow 225 for a Stainless Steel Razor? I guess they kept the price higher than ATT to lure people into thinking they are getting a better made and better shaving Razor then ATT? Maybe i Should come out with a SS Razor and price it at $385.00 So People can think its better then the rest ?

I haven't been here in a while, but i sure see prices going up for SS Razors, I will sit back on this one.

What a strange comment. You seem to be dismissing entirely a number of potentially valid reasons why it might be priced higher. I'm not sure if you've ever tried to make and sell a product yourself, but there are several significant steps between "make it cost more" and "people will think it is better."

I wholeheartedly encourage you design and release your $385 razor. I think it would be a great experiment. :lol:

What a strange comment. You seem to be dismissing entirely a number of potentially valid reasons why it might be priced higher. I'm not sure if you've ever tried to make and sell a product yourself, but there are several significant steps between "make it cost more" and "people will think it is better."

I wholeheartedly encourage you design and release your $385 razor. I think it would be a great experiment. :lol:
Sorry if its strange, but its a known fact, You price something higher and higher and people must think they are getting a Superior Product, like for example, Some Brushes are way over priced, But who is to say that if people are buying them off the shelf at Record Sales?

How is it that Other out there have made some nice Stainless Steel Razors for $70.00 Bucks? and fine shavers i might add, I have me an Above the Tie H-1 and also have all his handles, i do love them because of there solidness, I have found some nice Solid Excellent Quality Handles online for $25.00 and are probably the exact same handles as the $60.00 ones out there, Its been close to two years, and both the $25.00 and $60.00 look fantastic and like new.

My Point is that prices have gone up since i have been here and with everthing i have experienced through out the years, Paying More Doesnt mean its better.

Either way its a Beatiful razor for sure. BBS-1

Last edited:
Sorry if its strange, but its a known fact, You price something higher and higher and people must think they are getting a Superior Product, like for example, Some Bruses are way over priced, But who is to say that if people are buying them off the shelf at sell out Records?

How is it that Other out there have made some nice Stainless Steel Razors for $70.00 Bucks? and fine shavers i might add, I have me an Above the Tie H-1 and also have all his handles, i do love them because of there solidness, I have found some nice Solid Excellent Quality Handles online for $25.00 and are probably the exact same handles as the $60.00 ones out there, Its been close to two years, and both the #25.00 and $60.00 look fantastic and like new.

My Point is that prices have gone up since i have been here and with everthing i have experienced through out the years, Paying More Doesnt mean its better.

Well, I'll start by saying that I agree, more expensive does not always mean better. But at the same time, sometimes it does. I mean, is an Above The Tie razor better than a Ri Mei razor? Is Stan ripping us all off by charging $185 for a razor, when you can clearly buy one that also shaves for $2.73?

You refer to a $70 stainless steel razor, by which you most certainly mean a Weber. Weber razors are very good, but there are tangible reasons why ATT and BBS-1 are going to be more consistent from razor to razor. Look up the difference between sintered steel and machined steel. As one who has three Above The Tie razors, and two BBS-1 razors, I can tell you as a certainty that the machining required to make the BBS-1 is more complex than the ATT razors, which means more time to make, which means higher cost. Also, the tolerances are higher, that is, the pieces fit together with less room to move around, which likely means the BBS-1 was milled in a more expensive CNC machine, likely using more expensive bits.

I'm trying to be careful here not to make the inference that higher tolerances equal "better." If you have a Weber razor that works great for you, then awesome. It isn't likely going to change. But you could recommend that razor to a friend, and he goes out and buys one that is very different from yours. That's why consistency is valued in manufacturing. What good is it if you make an incredible razor by accident, and can't make another one with any degree of consistency?

The BBS-1 is a well made razor. I can confidently tell you that you could buy one, and it would also be well made. There is very little variation from piece to piece.

And I guess what is the most important underlying message of this whole post is that I'm not going to pop into the middle of a discussion and insult everyone in the thread by implying that they must all be fools, because they place value on something that I don't.

Well, I'll start by saying that I agree, more expensive does not always mean better. But at the same time, sometimes it does. I mean, is an Above The Tie razor better than a Ri Mei razor? Is Stan ripping us all off by charging $185 for a razor, when you can clearly buy one that also shaves for $2.73?

You refer to a $70 stainless steel razor, by which you most certainly mean a Weber. Weber razors are very good, but there are tangible reasons why ATT and BBS-1 are going to be more consistent from razor to razor. Look up the difference between sintered steel and machined steel. As one who has three Above The Tie razors, and two BBS-1 razors, I can tell you as a certainty that the machining required to make the BBS-1 is more complex than the ATT razors, which means more time to make, which means higher cost. Also, the tolerances are higher, that is, the pieces fit together with less room to move around, which likely means the BBS-1 was milled in a more expensive CNC machine, likely using more expensive bits.

I'm trying to be careful here not to make the inference that higher tolerances equal "better." If you have a Weber razor that works great for you, then awesome. It isn't likely going to change. But you could recommend that razor to a friend, and he goes out and buys one that is very different from yours. That's why consistency is valued in manufacturing. What good is it if you make an incredible razor by accident, and can't make another one with any degree of consistency?

The BBS-1 is a well made razor. I can confidently tell you that you could buy one, and it would also be well made. There is very little variation from piece to piece.

And I guess what is the most important underlying message of this whole post is that I'm not going to pop into the middle of a discussion and insult everyone in the thread by implying that they must all be fools, because they place value on something that I don't.

Sorry if you took it that way, but i wasnt implying the people are fools for buying such a product, what i did say was that i havent been on here in a while and to see a New SS DE on the Market Selling higher then ATT Only leads me to belive that Seller is trying to imply such, Buying higher means better, That was my whole point, Seems this is happening all around, with every Designer high end Company. Seems this is the New Market Trend. Again my appologies if i came off that way, as that is not what i meant in any way shape or form.

I myself have paid alot of money for some nice collectible pieces, Some wouldnt even think of paying such high price, but to me, they were worth it as a collector, but new products reaching past the $200+ and 300+ Is just a bit to pricey in my book.

Sorry if you took it that way, but i wasnt implying the people are fools for buying such a product, what i did say was that i havent been on here in a while and to see a New SS DE on the Market Selling higher then ATT Only leads me to belive that Seller is trying to imply such, Buying higher means better, That was my whole point, Seems this is happening all around, with every Designer high end Company. Seems this is the New Market Trend. Again my appologies if i came off that way, as that is not what i meant in any way shape or form.

I myself have paid alot of money for some nice collectible pieces, Some wouldnt even think of paying such high price, but to me, they were worth it as a collector, but new products reaching past the $200+ and 300+ Is just a bit to pricey in my book.

One thing I've learned over many, many years of working with technology is that language can easily lose much of its nuance and subtlety in the written word. If I read things into your comment that were not intended, then please accept my humble apology as well.

I can tell you with the utmost certainty that, if anything, the cost of the BBS-1 is too low. The amount of work, artistry, craftsmanship and passion that has gone into the production of this razor is evident when you see it and use it. Seeing as you haven't yet had that privilege, I can hardly blame you for having difficulty digesting a not insignificant price tag. (I don't mean that statement as an insult to you in any way.) However, I can offer this analogy: A Chevy Cruze can get you from point A to point B quickly and efficiently. A Corvette can also get you from point A to point B, and realistically, it's probably going to do it in just about the same amount of time. (Let's assume you don't live in a place where you can drive 180MPH...) Indeed there are many people who wouldn't value the increased power, craftsmanship and design that goes into a Corvette. (Truth be told, I am one of those people; I drive a subcompact. :laugh:) However, I would disagree with the assertion that anyone who buys a Corvette is wasting their money, or that Chevrolet are taking advantage of their gullibility. Different people have different values for different reasons. I may not share those values, but that does not make them in any way invalid. If you're looking for an affordable razor that will last you 2-3 years and offers a great shave, the BBS-1 might not be for you. But if you're looking for a functional piece of artwork that you'll be able to pass down to your children, and they to their children, then a mass-produced Zamak razor is probably a bad idea. :-D

Anyhow, I'm going to make a post with some pictures. That'll make everything better. :lol:

Sorry if its strange, but its a known fact, You price something higher and higher and people must think they are getting a Superior Product, like for example, Some Brushes are way over priced, But who is to say that if people are buying them off the shelf at Record Sales?
Yes, this is true, you can hype a product, and it's done everyday by corporations to build marketshare and false status, but the BBS-1 is not remotely in this category. John Brown set forth to create a razor with fine craftsmanship and it does show when you see the razor firsthand.

How is it that Other out there have made some nice Stainless Steel Razors for $70.00 Bucks? and fine shavers i might add, I have me an Above the Tie H-1 and also have all his handles, i do love them because of there solidness, I have found some nice Solid Excellent Quality Handles online for $25.00 and are probably the exact same handles as the $60.00 ones out there, Its been close to two years, and both the $25.00 and $60.00 look fantastic and like new.

My Point is that prices have gone up since i have been here and with everything i have experienced through out the years, Paying More Doesn't mean its better.

Either way its a Beautiful razor for sure. BBS-1
What has been accomplished with the BBS-1 is great fixed blade razor with all the right angles, setbacks, and dimensions allowing for an excellent shave with no irritation. This aspect is not easily accomplished and something you find with SE razors (e.g. Cobra Classics, Mongoose) not DE razors (at least for me). The craftsmanship on this razor handily beats all others in its category—hands down. I purchased this razor as an heirloom item to pass onto my son. It's the only DE razor I've found to date that I consider worthy enough to pass on.

I do not see this razor ever remotely reaching numbers in near what can be considered mass production. It appears that John Brown, and his machinist, place the craftsmanship factor as one of their highest priorities—and they want to keep it that way.

Top Bottom