What's new

In light of a different thread.

How often are you changing your blades?

• Every. Single. Shave. (New blade or no blade!)

• 2-3 shaves (It's a few cents...it's not gonna break the bank!)

• 4-5 shaves (Optimal usage peaking.. Can't. take. it. much. longer.)

• 6+ shaves (That's what a styptic pencil is for... Isn't it?)

• I won't be limited by these arbitrary numbers... I'll change it as I see fit!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'll start by saying I'm a head and face shaver, so double my numbers if you want an apples-to-apples comparison to the rest of the folks here. It seems to depend on the blade. I can generally get 2 out of any blade. Astra SP I can get 3-4. Polisilvers, which I'm just using for the first time this week, it looks like I'll get 4-5.

On a side note, for a real analysis I think you would need to ask people how many passes they get from a blade, not how many shaves.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
When the blade begins to pull. Not sure how many shaves that is maybe 5-7. I use straights mostly.

I usually get about 8-10 decent shaves from a blade, however change blades every Sunday coz I couldn't be bothered to keep count. Sunday is blade changing day.

I'll start by saying I'm a head and face shaver, so double my numbers if you want an apples-to-apples comparison to the rest of the folks here. It seems to depend on the blade. I can generally get 2 out of any blade. Astra SP I can get 3-4. Polisilvers, which I'm just using for the first time this week, it looks like I'll get 4-5.

+1
I have settled on the Poly Silvers. I alternate days between face and head and usually get 3 face and 2 head shaves before I change. The times I've tried the 3rd head shave it does not go well. I found Feathers are good for 2 face and one head, but that 2nd face shave can be sketchy. :001_unsur

Usually five shaves (face and head) with a DE

The PFTE SE blades will go 5-6

The Schick injector blades are good for about 3 weeks

I used to change after 3, but recently bumped it to 4, because that 4th day shave is just too good to pass up.

+1. I'm a 4 day user. The first two days are usually the worst shaves for me with any of my blades. It's on days 3 & 4 when the magic happens for me. I do 3 pass shaves and just find on average anything after 4 shaves is not as clean and tugging sets in.. So, that's my standard for when I toss them.

I find the varying results interesting. Also... My mind is BLOWN that some are getting 30 shaves with one blade! That's incredible!!!

Last edited:
I change after 5 days - DE during the week, SR on weekends when I have more time. Toss the blade on Friday, pick the gear for the week on Sunday night and get everything ready for Monday.
Astras are still performing just fine after 5 uses, but I've changed feathers halfway through on day 2.

I usually get about 8-10 decent shaves from a blade, however change blades every Sunday coz I couldn't be bothered to keep count. Sunday is blade changing day.

That's me, too. I did go 28 days of daily shaves with a Feather, but it was a little rough at the end.

With Personna labs I get a full week of shaves (3 pass) and replace. However I use straights almost exclusively now and only use the de for ATG touch ups....so....erm....probably close to three weeks before I swap it out.

I'm quite new at DE shaving, and am going through my first week of trying Polsilver SI's. With the Fusion I used to use, I went through a cartridge a week, with degradation evident by day 4-5. I've got 3 shaves on two different Polsilvers, and can just tell that they're not fresh, anymore. I'm thinking that I could go through even an expensive blade per day, and still be money ahead, over the carts. I'm leaning pretty solidly, in that direction. I am, after all, doing this as much for the fun of it as anything else, and a sharp, slick, shiny new blade is a little treat, when you're looking at your daily shave as a hobby, instead of a chore.

I easily achieve six great shaves with a Feather blade in my AS-D2, Tech, or Slim Adjustable. I could get two or three more out of the blade but it is easier to do a blade change every Sunday evening.

Top Bottom