What's new

What is your routine for preparing to shave?

I shave before I shower. I've tried shaving afterward, but I just get too hot in the steamy bathroom if I stay in long enough to shave after I shower, then I feel like I need another shower with cool water to rinse off the sweat and cool down. I guess I'm just very hot natured. Anyway, I start the hot water, and put my lather bowl, brush and razor in the sink and begin filling with hot water. While that is going on I get my washcloth and using the hot water, I rub down my face with the rag until the sink is full to make sure I get the whiskers good and roughed up and softened. When the sink is full I remove the brush and bowl, grab my Musgo Real Classic cream, put a dab in the bowl and begin building my lather. Once the lather is to my satisfaction I once again splash hot water from the sink on my face and begin lathering. I then do a three pass shave.

Soak boar brush and soap while showering. Towel off, lather on the puck/face, and shave away with 2 passes and touch-ups. Eazy-peazy. I really try to KISS.

Shower then shave

If I need to shave but I showered earlier in the day or plan on showering later in the day I wash my face twice with a glycerin based soap. First wash to remove dirt and oils, second to hydrate.

Badger brushes I soak for 3 +/- minutes before using. Boar brushes 5 +/- minute soak. Synthetics just wet and go.

I soak my brush in warm water; if I'm using a shaving soap, I'll put a little water on the soap; take a warm shower, the last thing I do in the shower I put on beard/pre-shave oil; towel off leaving shaving area wet; rinse the shaving area; put warm water in a big bowl for rinsing my razor (my sink stopper doesn't work so well); then face-lather with shaving soap or cream. Every now and again I'll throw a curveball at myself and mug lather.

• Put hot water in my scuttle, soak the brush
  • Wash face either in the shower or out
  • Dump scuttle and refresh with hot water, lather face, wipe hands dry
  • While face marinates, choose straight razor and strop 30 on linen and 60-100 on leather
  • Hot towel treatment to the face hold for the amount of time it takes to say one Hail Mary for an intention
  • Rinse face, re lather and then dry hands again
  • pick up razor, rub alum on finger tips of support hand and then GO!

Frank

Right now I am doing cold water shaves. I shave before showering.

My routine is as follows. Fill mug with cool water and soak brush. Fill basin with cool water and wash my face with Neutrogena Invigorating Face Wash. Take brush out of water and make lather. Wet my face with cool water and apply lather. Do my first pass. Dampen face apply lather and do second pass. Do this two more times for four passes.

My shave prep is a shower. Apart from that, the usual: soak (boar) brush, a few drops of hot water on the soap. Hot water in the scuttle if winter. Done.

Shower then shave

If I need to shave but I showered earlier in the day or plan on showering later in the day I wash my face twice with a glycerin based soap. First wash to remove dirt and oils, second to hydrate.

Badger brushes I soak for 3 +/- minutes before using. Boar brushes 5 +/- minute soak. Synthetics just wet and go.
+1

I have a bath daily:
i drop brush in bath and I fill up bath. Jump in the bath. Shave in the bath! Yippee!

Last edited:
Morning shaves:
Soak brush in hot water
Shower
Lather cream or soap
3 passes (WTG/XTG/ATG)
Cold water rinse
Aftershave

Evening shaves:
Everything is the same, except no shower so I use a pre-shave treatment.. Whether it be a hot towel or a pre-shave cream or a glycerine soap to prep my beard.

--Soak bowl, brush, and razor in hot water (I don't soak the soap)
--Hot shower, soaping and rinsing whiskers twice, once with 4711 soap, once with Earthly Delight Herbal shampoo
--pre-shave, either TFS Bergamotto Neroli, Trumper Coral Skin Food, or, rarely, sweet almond oil
--rub wet alum block on fingers for grip
--make lather and spread with my badger brush
--tighten blade
--two careful passes and then touch-up
--cold rinse
--alum block
--cold rinse
--aftershave, often 4711 cologne used as a splash
--aftershave balm, always including Geo. F. Trumper Coral Skin Food

I shave at night, 95% of the time.

I shave before showering.

Soak brush in water straight out of the cold water tap. Douse face with Proraso Pre or Noxema. Lather up cream or soap in a bowl. Shave.

Top soap filled shave mug with hot water, wet brush and let soak in mug
Shower
Soak face with hot wet towel
Dump water out of mug and mug/face lather
Usually a 2 pass +touch up shave
Rinse
After Shave splash
clean brush and razor and hang brush to dry

turn the hot tap on catch a glass while its cold to brush my teeth,set lather bowl under hot stream,brush teeth,wet brush,wet beard,make lather shave the required number of passes,rinse face(if not showering),rinse razor,bowl,brush,dry same,apply stinky stuff,bada boom badda bing its a wonderful thing.:thumbup1:

Soak razor and brush in hot water while showering and also comp soap in bowl with hot water as well.
After Shower load up the brush of choice for a full minute and whip up enough lather in my DB Bill bowl for a 3 pass.
Rinse with hot
Rinse with cold
AS Splash
AS Balm

I keep it simple:

Warm shower, brush soaking in hot water.

Face lather, 2 passes. On weekends I do 3 passes.

Warm rinse, cold rinse, splash of AS.

Done.

Shower first. Usually soak the soap, my brush and razor while in the shower. Then empty everything, fill the sink with hot water, wet a small towel. Then I whip up the lather, moisturize my face with the hot towel, and lather up.

I shower at night, shave in the morning. I fill my mug w/hot water, dunk my boar in to soak, drizzle a teaspoon of hot water on my soap, and while that's happening, hold a hot towel on my face for 3 minutes. I dump out the mug, drip the soap water in the mug, squeeze out the brush, load the brush, lather in the mug and then it's Star Time!-Matt

Hot Shower
Apply Noxzema to face in shower
Towel off
Put a little water in mug
Apply a teaspoon of mineral oil to my face
Lather and apply shave soap
Shave 2 passes
Touch up
Cold rinse
Alum block
After shave
Use a small amount of moisturizing lotion