What's new

Replating: Nickel or Rhodium?

Hello everyone! As my collection expands, I have a couple items I would like to have replated, and I have a fairly simple question:
What are the benefits of plating in rhodium over nickel? I've been checking out Chris' razorplate.com site, and there is an obvious price difference, but I'm curious as to the functional and aesthetic differences. All I think I know is that rhodium looks shiner. What else can you guys tell me? Why go nickel over rhodium?

Thanks BSA. I did find some archived threads about this. Is it accurate that nickel is more durable than rhodium?
As in, if I replate something I want to be heirloom quality, will the nickel be more likely to last another couple generations versus the rhodium?

When getting my '57 Super Speed re-plated, I went with nickel because a) it was the original metal, b) I was told by customer service where the job was done that nickel was almost as bright as rhodium and c) it was cheaper. I was well pleased with the result. In the end, either metal will serve you well, so get the one that suits your needs, desire and budget.

I received two razors from Chris that he replated for me, nickel and gold.

He does a great job, I am very happy with his work.

...All I think I know is that rhodium looks shiner. What else can you guys tell me? Why go nickel over rhodium?
Nickel is the original plating for most vintage razors and it's cheaper than rhodium. Rhodium is very much brighter and has a different shine to it. Rhodium also has the added benefit of being extremely easy to maintain - it doesn't tarnish and all you will need is a toothbrush and lukewarm water to keep it shiny for the rest of your life.

Whatever you do do not use chrome on vintage razors - it will look very odd! My advice would be to stick to the original metal when replating.

Here is a picture that is trying to demonstrate the difference in hue between rhodium and nickel. The differences might seem small on your screen but I can assure you that in reality (and on my color balanced screen!) there is a substantial difference.

The Rocket in the middle is in nickel - the Aristocrats are in rhodium by two different replaters

Last edited by a moderator:
No experience with razor re-plating but I do with Rhodium. It is an extremely tough metal, and to my mind, gives a smoother finish than Nickel. All down to the plating operator. I know from seeing them both, I'll be wanting Rhodium on my Slim Adjustable......as soon as funds allow!

I've done both and won't do rhodium again. It was great for my birth quarter slim, but nickel looks just as good IMO and costs a LOT less.

Rhodium is harder. I've had both replates and much prefer rhodium.

I've said this in another thread, but keep in mind that harder is not necessarily better. On the Mohs hardness scale, nickel is 4, which is relatively soft. Brass is 3-4 depending on the specific alloy. Diamond is 10, rhodium is 6 and chromium is 8.5. However, window glass is also 6, and would probably make a terrible coating for a razor. Chromium is incredibly resistant to scratches, but it is very brittle, so it tends to flake off in chunks. Since nickel is softer, it deforms when impacted rather than shattering, and therefore is very durable.

I'm not saying that rhodium isn't a great metal for plating; I honestly have no idea. But the hardness of a metal is only one factor in its suitability to a task. One of the reasons brass has stood the test of time for a razor material is specifically because malleability and softness. It also probably makes a big difference what material you're plating.

I have a Brit Aristocrat with the original rhodium plating and it still looks stunning after 70 years, yet it's obviously had a fair bit of use, at least to judge by the worn state of the case. The slight scratching and brassing you get with most gold and nickel plated razors, even carefully looked after ones, just isn't there.

Hello everyone! As my collection expands, I have a couple items I would like to have replated, and I have a fairly simple question:
What are the benefits of plating in rhodium over nickel? I've been checking out Chris' razorplate.com site, and there is an obvious price difference, but I'm curious as to the functional and aesthetic differences. All I think I know is that rhodium looks shiner. What else can you guys tell me? Why go nickel over rhodium?

If you have the money, rhodium will last the longest and look the best. It becomes more a question of how much the razor means to you.

I have a Brit Aristocrat with the original rhodium plating and it still looks stunning after 70 years, yet it's obviously had a fair bit of use, at least to judge by the worn state of the case. The slight scratching and brassing you get with most gold and nickel plated razors, even carefully looked after ones, just isn't there.
The plating of the later British Aristocrats is very well done. Here's my No 22 from 1949 in its original rhodium plating. They certainly don't make them like they used to...

If you find a user grade Aristocrat I would certainly advise to either use it as it is. But if you want a replate there is only rhodium IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received two razors from Chris that he replated for me, nickel and gold.

He does a great job, I am very happy with his work.

Chris does an amazing job and his attention to detail is second to none. He recently did a '58 Exec in gold and an old tech on nickle. Couldn't be happier.

Rhodium all the way $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411172662.157245.jpg $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411172675.895100.jpg

Imho its purely personal preference. If I'm just restoring a razor to save it from rotting away I would stick to a factory plate option. A razor that holds some special meaning the sky is the limit. If I ever quit using my grandpas Fatboy long enough I want to have it plated in rhodium.

Rhodium is the harder finish and thicker too since it has to be applied over a nickel base. Aesthetically, I think it looks too white and too bright. Nickel gives a warmer glow but if you happen to be allergic to nickel, rhodium might be your best bet.

Top Bottom