What's new

New to the game

So as stated above I have only recently been introduced to wet shaving some time last month. What started out as simply being interested, I now seem to find myself spending most of my free time searching forums trying to find out as much as I can. As I become more excited and anxious to start shaving I do have a few questions before I purchase my first kit. I want to start with a SE but would it be easier/more safe to learn with a DE? If I do start with a Ssngle edge should I be trying to get on this mongoose second batch/looking at buying a cobra or do you suggest getting a cheaper razer first?

There is no one best answer.

If your whiskers are not tough and coarse, you might try learning with a mild shaving Gillette Tech DE or a later model Schick Injector SE. They are inexpensive.

If your whiskers are tough and coarse you might try learning with a moderate shaving Gillett Super Speed or an earler model Schick Injector SE. They too are inexpensive.

All of those razors are somewhat forgiving and are easier for a NOOB to handle.

Welcome to the forum, Jonathan.
I wouldn't say a DE would be any safer or easier to learn than an SE, just a little different. I also would recommend picking up a vintage SE to try before jumping to the Mongoose. They can be had for very little money and work great.

I see no problem with starting with an SE if that's what you want to do, but I would start with something like a Gem G-Bar or Bullet Tip Micromatic, or one of the Schick injectors. Not only can they be had for next to nothing, they are more forgiving while you're learning SE technique. While it's not difficult to use an SE, there is a learning curve.

Not only are the Cobra/Mongoose expensive, they are fairly agressive razors designed with experienced wet shavers in mind.

--Bob

Welcome to the club, Jonathan. Glad to have you aboard. If you are coming from a cartridge razor, a Schick injector would be the easiest transition to traditional shaving. An injector would also be the most like a Cobra or Mongoose experience, but without the expense.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The inexpensive Schick injectors are favored by experienced and new shavers; excellent examples are available without paying very much. You just can't go wrong getting one (or more!).

Hello and welcome to B&B. You have found the best place for all shaving questions.

I can't add to the advice above. Either DE's or single edges will give you great shaves. Be sure to invest enough time to learn good technique.

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'm leaning towards the schick injector, all the reviews about these seem to point to a good first time/favorite razor.

Top Bottom