What's new

Man-ly Fragrances?

Reading through this thread I see no mention of Jovan Sex Appeal. A hugely powerful patchouli based fragrance from the 70's. A warm, spicy and woody scent with complementary sillage and huge longevity. Once it's on you, it's on you until you scrub it off. A proper macho frag. Best worn with a Tom Selleck moustache!

I'd also recommend Quorum, Kouros, Azzaro Ph and Givenchy Gentlemen.
I agree Sex Appeal is manly in Avery cool 70s way. A great buy, always less than $20 plus instant sex appeal.

Either I missed it, or nobody brought it up. But there's only one really manly fragrance, of course :wink2:

proxy.php

Oud Cuir d'Arabie - wildfire smoke, working leather (like a saddle or garden gloves), birch tar, a hint of rich tobacco, and a touch of rose. The first time I smelled this one of the other guys in the shop said "what kind of man do you have to be to wear that?". One of frag-head friends who loves leathers also feels he doesn't have masculinity for this one. I don't own it because I don't want people to think I rode a horse into work.

Quorum (current formulation) - fleeting top notes of soap & lavender; strong top to middle of leather and conifers; dry down of conifers and frankincense. You will also find lots of wormwood moss and patchouli. This is one of those things that can smell two or three different ways and sometimes it just smells like pine and herbs. However, it always smells amazing and the end where the frankincense shows up is a wonderful thing. I stockpile bottles of this.

Aramis (aftershave) - Top: bergamot, artemisia, jasmine ; Middle: tobacco, cinnamon, clove; Base: leather, patchouli, moss. This scent makes me think men in suits watching a old-school boxing match - due to the leather, sweat (jasmine), & tobacco. Others get a locker room vibe. The bergamont is strong and classy, the artemisia says I'm a man, and the jasmine lends a nice sweetens it up nicely, but also adds a faint undercurrent of sweat. Tobacco and spices in the middle lend a bit of pipe tobacco to the picture. The leather and patchouli in the base give this lasting power. This is a slightly formal scent that says "don't mess with me."

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme - dry green herbal fragrance with hits of talc. My bottle ran out, but I've always appreciated this.

Tabac Original - warm & brown; plus you can use the matching shave soap. It and the soap are on my buy list.

I bought some clubman Pinaud orginal yesterday. Shaved for date night and my wife didn't really care for it. She said it smelled like "really old man". Me? I am ok with it. Not the best. Kinda has a ,kid you not, gun oil smell. First splash zings more than my Proraso Menthol. After the smell settles and smells ok. Skins feels fine and not dry. Not my fav but not nasty.

Well I'm not sure of budget so I'll run the spectrum a bit.

Brut
Stetson
British Stirling
English Leather
Polo green or any Chypre scent
Bulgari pour Homme extreme
LE' artisan perfumers Absinthe
Caron pour in Homme
Caron Yatagon
Azzaro-Azzaro pour Homme
Paco Rabanne pour Homme
Bulgari MAN extreme
Penhaligon's Opus 1870
Penhaligon's Sartorial
Penhaligon's Bayolea

As always YMMV

Go to a Turkish shop, and buy some lavender water. Really inexpensive and an uncomplicated scent. Manly enough for me.

Edit: my preferred lavender waters come from Italy and Britain though.

Last edited:
In my late teens I asked a rather comely older woman what a real man was and she replied that a real man smokes cigarettes, drinks beer, farts and burps. At that point I determined to avoid at all costs being a real man and I never have been.

Anyway, I digress. For a man's fragrance we are basically looking at a citrus opening, a floral heart and a finish of sweet wood perhaps vanilla, cedar, sandalwood, tonka, etc and the all important little touch of tobacco. It's what used to be known as a classic Oriental fragrance and has been done over and over and is still being repeated over and over: Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille EdP, Phaedon Tabac Rouge EdP, Tabac Original EdC or for something similar that lasts all day and all night and part of the next day too, believe it or not, Joop Homme EdT.

Last edited:
I like TOBS Original No. 74. It got me the best compliments from my wife. Not all women like it, but the women who like it are the kind of women I like, so, it's worth it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I hope this isn't a repeat post. Having googled Clint Eastwood I know he likes GIT by Creed. There, now you can smell just like Clint.

Clint Eastwood, wore Creed Green Irish Tweed

John Wayne wore clubman pinaud lilac vegetal

What are some MAN-ly fragrances? Stuff that doesn't smell like a fashion model or metro-sexual. Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and Charles Bronson in a bottle. Suggestions??

Top Bottom