What's new

Boars only

Have any of you used both badger & boar brushes and eventually move over to boar brushes only? I have an omega boar and a Simpson colonel. The colonel is a great brush but I like the omega better. Am I missing something? The price of boars is also appealing since the SWMBO doesn't mind me spending $10 to $20 once in awhile for a brush.

The range of types, quality and specifications of both boar and badger brushes is immense. Since you have only tried one badger and one boar brush, your sample size is too small to make any clear determinations. Nevertheless, a small minority of wet shavers do indeed prefer boar over badger (or synthetic or horse).

I encourage you to experiment with more brushes. That is one of the fun parts of the hobby.

If you like your Omega boar, try a Semogue or two. Since Omegas tend to be on the firm side, try a softer Semogue like a 1305.

A Simpsons Colonel is a entry-level badger. Try an inexpensive, but very soft silvertip badger like a Whipped Dog or a two-band, soft yet scrubby, badger like the Vintage Blades eponymous line of brushes.

Maybe even try a synthetic like a Muhle Black Fibre or Silvertip Fibre or a Plisson.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I love boars. They're PROBABLY my favorite type of brush. Hard to decide. The thing about a boar brush is that many of them are quite similar. I've had a handful of Omegas and another handful of Semogues and altogether they were all great and the differences between all of them were small. Badgers, however, can be very different from each other. They can have tons of backbone or very little, lots of scritch or none at all, two brushes that look very similar can feel completely different. I'd say there's a larger variance in badgers. I'm kind of picky so it's difficult for me to find badger brushes that I really like, but I can pick up just about any boar brush and really enjoy it. You seem to be asking also if we would be willing to use nothing but boars?

$post-36131-that-I-cannot-do.gif

you need to have variety of boars and badgers just so that you can appreciate one over the other depending on your mood.

Sometimes on a morning I really want to be pampered by the soft silver tip badger, then there are days when I need to have stiff boar back bone for those hard to submit soaps for that classic shave for an important meeting. There are so many variables !

Up until recently I had only used badgers. I had a Semogue brush a while back but I just didn't take to it.
I decided to try again after seeing a lot of chatter however my approach was that I had a custom boar built by Rudy Vey. I was able to spec knot size with depth as well as get a really great custom handle.
Rudy uses Omega knots.
Well I find I really like this brush a lot. I definitely prefer the Omega knot to Semogue. About this brush in particular knowing what I know now, I probably would have spec'd the loft a couple of mm higher.
That all said - I am definitely keeping this boar and I will always have a boar but I am not going to give up my badgers.

I have three Semogue boars, one B&B essential, a semogue badger, a silvertex and a WD Badger.

I pretty much use my boars every day, the Silvertex because it's still new and I find it very intriguing and the Badgers once in a while out of pity.

I definitely prefer my boar brushes.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
An Omega 31064 was my first "good" brush after 20 years of using a VDH and Burma Shave boar. After a year, I like it as well as my subsequently purchased Simpsons in Best Badger. A quality boar brush is a great bargain and very effective in making lather. A boar brush needs longer soaking prior to use, a minor inconvenience. Just soak it while making other preparations if you're not taking a shower first.

You should try all types, boar, horse and badger to what suits you best.

I tried Semogue and Omega boars, Vie-Long horse, and several TGN badger knots.

For me I prefer the boar and horse hair knots. I find the badgers too soft and floppy. I did set one badger in deeper to shorten the loft, but the boar feels (and works) better for me.

With the boars you will need to break them in to get the best experience.

Granted I've only used a couple badger brushes, but they don't compare to any of my boar brushes. Boar brushes soften up really nicely but keep their backbone. I like the exfoliation that a boar brush provides. I like that I can bowl lather or face lather with ease. And I really like the price. Personally I can't imaging spending $100 or more for a shaving brush.

I am sure there are badger brushes that offer the same qualities I prefer in my boar brushes, but I am not willing to pay that kind of money for a shaving brush I might like.

imcndn

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Up until recently I had only used badgers. I had a Semogue brush a while back but I just didn't take to it.
I decided to try again after seeing a lot of chatter however my approach was that I had a custom boar built by Rudy Vey. I was able to spec knot size with depth as well as get a really great custom handle.
Rudy uses Omega knots.
Well I find I really like this brush a lot. I definitely prefer the Omega knot to Semogue. About this brush in particular knowing what I know now, I probably would have spec'd the loft a couple of mm higher.
That all said - I am definitely keeping this boar and I will always have a boar but I am not going to give up my badgers.

Which Semogue did you try? I've tried a handful of both Semogues and Omegas. What's nice about an Omega is that their bristles are nearly the same on every brush, so I know what to expect from one. They really only have one knot, per se, with different sizes and handles.

Semogue, however, has a lot of brushes which perform pretty differently from each other. For example, right now I have an SOC and an Italian Barber Limited Edition 1305. The 1305 reminds me of an Omega to an extent because it's got softer tips on it than my SOC but it also has more backbone. The SOC, however, has a tiny bit more scritch (not a ton) and splays very differently. It's actually more dense than the 1305 but splays more easily at the same time thanks to the "Special Grade" bristles.

Trying another Semogue with a different knot that what you had may yield a different opinion on them. I'd class Semogue below Omega in some knots but above them in others.

I started with a cheap pure badger brush, was not thrilled, then got a Silvertip badger since I craved a soft feel. Never even considered a boar, I assumed then had to be scratchier. I picked up a Semogue 1800 and 1250 for very little money and I was hooked. I got a 1350 a little later and recently ordered a SOC. My silvertip is sitting there looking forlorn, I don't know what it is going to take for me to pick it back up again, I love the boars.

I want more now too. I would like a B&B essentials brush since I have never tried a Omega, maybe a 31064, or a 48/49 pro. So many choices and since they all range from $10-30 each it is within reach without a big outlay of money.

Which Semogue did you try? I've tried a handful of both Semogues and Omegas. What's nice about an Omega is that their bristles are nearly the same on every brush, so I know what to expect from one. They really only have one knot, per se, with different sizes and handles.

Semogue, however, has a lot of brushes which perform pretty differently from each other. For example, right now I have an SOC and an Italian Barber Limited Edition 1305. The 1305 reminds me of an Omega to an extent because it's got softer tips on it than my SOC but it also has more backbone. The SOC, however, has a tiny bit more scritch (not a ton) and splays very differently. It's actually more dense than the 1305 but splays more easily at the same time thanks to the "Special Grade" bristles.

Trying another Semogue with a different knot that what you had may yield a different opinion on them. I'd class Semogue below Omega in some knots but above them in others.

To answer the question as to which Semogue boar I had, it was the 2011 LE 2 (I have the badger version). A top quality brush no doubt but just too much splay.

I won't dispute that there are differences. The thing that I didn't care for with the Semogue was that it had a lot of splay. I tend to like a more of a concentrated brush. Most of the Semogues have a high loft to knot diameter ratio. I also like knots in the 24mm range.

I am sure if Rudy used Semogue knots, the brush I have would be great as I was able to spec the loft to compensate for the splay.
Maybe I will try another one day.

If you want to try a semogue, see if you can snatch a Barbear Clasico Cerda on the BST at some point. They are the same great semogue knots but set at a lower loft.

Personally I actually like the splay for face lathering, but I can certainly understand how it's not for everyone (just how I don't like the pressure of a brush that has loads of backbone).

My favorite brush, hands down, is my Semogue SOC boar. I can't recommend boars enough - soft tips, great backbone, and then chew through any soap or cream effortlessly. I do prefer my Semogue ovr my B&B Essentials brush, as the Semogue is bigger. I love big brushes.

My second brush is a Muhle silvertip fiber in horn, 25 mm (as big as they make). It's my travel/"I forgot to soak my boar"/"I feel like a silvertip brush today" brush.

I have 4 brushes- 2 badger, 2 boar. I find that the boars ( Omega 49 and SOC ) work better for me. I prefer the stiffer backbone and the larger size of these brushes. The SOC is my favorite.

I love boars. They're PROBABLY my favorite type of brush. Hard to decide. The thing about a boar brush is that many of them are quite similar. I've had a handful of Omegas and another handful of Semogues and altogether they were all great and the differences between all of them were small. Badgers, however, can be very different from each other. They can have tons of backbone or very little, lots of scritch or none at all, two brushes that look very similar can feel completely different. I'd say there's a larger variance in badgers. I'm kind of picky so it's difficult for me to find badger brushes that I really like, but I can pick up just about any boar brush and really enjoy it. You seem to be asking also if we would be willing to use nothing but boars?

View attachment 497546

That is hilarious.

Top Bottom