What's new

GEM, or Eveready razor.

Just found a tidy GEM razor and a tidy Eveready razor.
They look the same, just a different name.
Do they actually give a reasonable shave?
Worth getting just so I can say I have one? (ie. are they collectable or just another 'dust gatherer' as my wife calls all my 'treasures'?).

Well, you haven't told us the model(s) you mean, but GEMs and Ever Readys are excellent razors and will give you very good shaves. Both brands were owned by the American Safety Razor company and are very similar, if not identical. There will be somebody along shortly who can give you more information than I can, but rest assured, if you get either one, you will have fine shaves.

The Gem and Ever Ready factories were a few blocks from each other in Brooklyn, and were intertwined even before American Safety Razor, the parent company of Ever Ready acquired Gem in 1919.

You didn't mention the model number(s), but if they look identical except for the name, I'm guessing that they are the 1912 model. This can be confirmed by the "Pat'd 1912" stamped around base of the razor where the handle screws in. These were actually manufactured in one form or another from 1912 to well into the 40's.

They not only give a "reasonable" shave, with a little practice they can give an outstanding shave. Single edge blades are readily available online and often at your local drug store. (But not at the hardware store. Those blades for paint scrapers look identical but are not suitable for shaving.)

There were literally millions of these manufactured, so only certain variants and mint-condition sets (razor, case, blade banks, instructions, vintage blades) are sought after by collectors.

A word of warning: I got my first single edge a couple of months ago. Now I have about 30 of them and my DE's are collecting dust.:001_smile

--Bob

SE razors rock....

Hit a local pharmacy and pick up some GEM or TREET blades (whatever they stock).

Don't use box cutter blades as the grind is different than a shaving blade.

proxy.php

Thanks guys.
Much appreciated.
I see I managed to get the name wrong. Yes, it's Ever Ready.
The GEM is made in England, the Ever Ready in America. Not sure of model yet, but one has an alloy handle so probably later model (?).
I have found 5 of them plus a couple of Valet as well.
Just have to convince missus 'B' that they really are all going to be used!

Chain handle model 1912

Nice shaving razor. I have a US model and a British model.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Many thanks.
I'm going shopping tomorrow. Will probably get one of each (GEM and an Ever Ready).
Only $10NZ each, so won't mess up my retirement fund too much.

Top Bottom