What's new

Hello From Japan

Welcome from Arizona !

I didn't know this about the Japanese labor laws. I once did some consulting for a Japanese company doing work in the USA...
they were not like that. Maybe you should consult a lawyer about your situation and complain to the Canadian consulate.
Not kosher these days.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome aboard! The good thing in Japan is the availability of very nice Aftershaves! Use them!

I don't know a thing about Japan, but given what a big deal Feather makes about their top razors, surely there must be a community of DE shavers there. Which also means there are probably some kinds of online stores, or clubs or specialized shops that sell DE stuff. The Japanese give the sense of having these avid fans who really take their passions seriously (whether it's vinyl records, or Leica cameras, or haute cuisine). So I can't imagine that a country that produces the AS-D2 won't have a means of obtaining all the DE stuff you want. Perhaps not at a good price though.

Oh, I can easily get feather stuff in Japan, just nothing else. There is no choice. It is feather handle and blades or ship internationally. If you are in Japan and you use a DE razor, this is what you use, period. Most DE users here use canned stuff so brushes and creams are hard to find. Some people use this soap, but it is pretty uncommon still.

B&B わよこそ. おれわにほんごがくしゅ。でもまだじょずじゃいません。よろしくおねがいします。

My attempt at that must be terrible, I only know about half of hiragana and only a few katakana as it is.

I still understand though. Good try. おれは is a pretty macho pronoun, but who knows, you may be a very macho man :thumbup:, you are on a SHAVING forum after all ( I use ぼく ). And yeah, the particle は is tricky since if you check any book, it is pronounced 'ha' but as a grammatical particle, it becomes 'wa', that one used to trick me too.

Quite confusing alright, I have a long way to go in japanese personally. I'm maybe at an average skill level verbally but when it comes to written I am severely lacking.

Quite confusing alright, I have a long way to go in japanese personally. I'm maybe at an average skill level verbally but when it comes to written I am severely lacking.

Even with my fairly advanced level and years of practice, my reading and writing skills are still relatively weak. Learning to read letters (kanji) that not even native Japanese people can read before encountering them before (like any proper noun) is massively difficult for me still.

I'd say you have to have a fairly advanced level to use it in everyday life. I try to think in japanese often but I'd stop whatever I'm doing to try and remember what this word or that word means before putting the entire thought together.

Did you know much before you went?

Greetings raynforce- I'm a newbie myself and will be anxious to hear how your journey goes...I live in the US and work for a fully-owned subsidiary of a Japanese company- and so am quite familiar with the "quirks" of Japanese business attitudes and practices- albeit not to the extent with which you're dealing. Best of luck on both fronts- keep posting and I'll look forward to doing the same. I hope you can find an answer to your supply chain issues. This site is the shizznit for all things shaving- and, it seems, a great group of 'eccentric', cool, retro/modern, upbeat, offbeat, classy, friendly, welcoming, multi-faceted, international folks...every time I pop in I end up staying for about 3x's longer than planned...best of luck to you!

Welcome from Arizona !

I didn't know this about the Japanese labor laws. I once did some consulting for a Japanese company doing work in the USA...
they were not like that. Maybe you should consult a lawyer about your situation and complain to the Canadian consulate.
Not kosher these days.

There are labor laws, many of them are just loosely interpreted and poorly enforced. Join a union and you will soon find yourself out of work for 'unrelated reasons' so unions are not at all popular.

Greetings raynforce- I'm a newbie myself and will be anxious to hear how your journey goes...I live in the US and work for a fully-owned subsidiary of a Japanese company- and so am quite familiar with the "quirks" of Japanese business attitudes and practices- albeit not to the extent with which you're dealing. Best of luck on both fronts- keep posting and I'll look forward to doing the same. I hope you can find an answer to your supply chain issues. This site is the shizznit for all things shaving- and, it seems, a great group of 'eccentric', cool, retro/modern, upbeat, offbeat, classy, friendly, welcoming, multi-faceted, international folks...every time I pop in I end up staying for about 3x's longer than planned...best of luck to you!

I just saw your first shave post and I will continue to follow you as well since we are starting at about the same time (well, I still have not had my first DE shave yet as all my gear has arrived in the mail EXCEPT for the actual razor handle, my Murker HD).

Welcome on board. Have you tried a Tokyu Hands store? They have a few shaving goodies.

Good call, they have a little bit of everything so I will check them out next time I am near one. Unfortunately, Tokyu Hands are only in the largest cities so I need to take an hour and a half long train to Nagoya to get to my closest one.

Top Bottom