What's new

MWF vs. Mike's

I fell in love with MWF after I learned the do's and don'ts of lathering. Mike's is getting lots of positive press and I see that he is finally back in stock on most of his scents. Any thoughts? I like hard soaps and try to keep a couple in my rotation.

MWF is my favorite soap. That being said, after reading your post, I immediately went to Mike's website and ordered 2 bars of Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper. It's great stuff!

Mike's vs MWF, is like Ginger vs. Mary Ann. The answer is both :w00t:

My feeling exactly. Mike was an early entry into the contemporary artisan soap movement. It's easy to lather, performs greatly providing a moisturizing, slick lather that leaves a great post shave face feel.

When Mike's came out, I used a bar of Barbershop all winter and loved it.

Mike's Hungarian Lavender is one of my favorite soaps.

For sheepish soaps, I prefer Haslinger Schafmilch to MWF.

While I own and like both, I prefer Mike's. It has the same post-shave feel because of the lanolin, but it gives me a denser, more stable lather.

I prefer Mike's. MWF lasts longer, but to me, in every other respect Mike's is a little better. It's still the most protective lather I've found. I'm a fan especially of the Hungarian Lavender and the Vetiver.

I always wonder why there are these threads that pop up comparing Mikes and MWF. Why compare the two? Is it because they both contain lanolin? Several other soaps and creams contain it, too. MWF is probably more comparable to soaps like Valobra or DR Harris or some other triple-milled hard soap, whereas Mike's is probably more comparable to other artisans like Queen Charlotte or Barrister & Mann, etc. because its softer with more varied scents. Personally I like both but I wouldn't necessarily compare and contrast the two. To the OP, if you wondering if Mike's is worth it - it is!

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I had a feeling I would get opinions all over all over the board. Just like to see what others think. I will definitely be ordering Mike's. Guess the samples are in order!

One caveat: I love Mikes soaps,but his samples are notoriously hard to get a great lather from. Either squish them down to where they will stick at the bottom of a bowl (spread it out as best you can for best surface area), or use the sample slice like a shave stick and rub it on your face.

I find MWF far superior in terms of lather longevity. Mikes smells nice, of course, but isn't nearly my best performer.

Top Bottom