What's new

Noxema + Lather question

I thought that shaving cream lather, when applied to the face with a brush is supposed to be applied with circular swirls. If so, how does a base layer of noxema remain? Doesn't it it just mix with the shaving cream?

I want to do as others have suggested and put a thin layer of noxema below the lather on my face for each pass.

In honesty, I did post the question on that se thread where I got the idea, but its a rather old thread, so I dont expect many responses there.

Thanks in advance

I apply noxzema, and then brush the lather over it. I do the same for each pass, and have no issues with the lather mixing with the noxzema.

You can also use Noxzema like this video for Proraso shows. It's not actually for slickness but for softening the skin and beard. Note how the barber applies a hot towel over the pre-shave so that it's basically gone before the soap is applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it makes a difference. It will mix with the soap any way you do it.

I thought the whole point was that the noxema act as a base layer. If it gets all mixed up with the shaving lather, than how does it remain as a base layer.

I guess what i'm trying to figure out is whether or not I should change from swirling the lather onto my face in circles to painting it over the noxema. And if so, is something then lost by not massaging the lather in?

I don't think it acts as a basis layer but more as preparing your beard for the lather. Once you put wet lather on your face it interacts with the Noxema no matter how you apply the lather.

Years ago barbers would rub Noxema or similar product on your face and then put a hot towel on your face. It made your face feel soft and wonderful. However, when they removed the hot towel there was no visible Noxema on your face. They then applied lather to your face. I followed the same procedure when I started shaving as a teen.

Thanks so much for the advise. I tried this morning. Its hard to know if it was the noxema, but i will say that I got a great shave! I kinda like the noxema smell too. I makes me remember my childhood as my dad use to use it during shaving also.

I look at Noxzema as a means of holding water to my face and whiskers as I prepare the lather. If there is something in it that adds this process, so much the better.

I mix it into my lather since I leave it on my face and it adds a bit of slickness. My 2 cents.

At one time (I don't know about now because I no longer buy canned goo) there was a Noxzema shave cream...was the best of the lot, IMHO.

I saw these threads yesterday and picked up some noxzema on my way home and tried it this morning (just a small squirt between passes) and it was easily my closest, most comfortable shave yet. No blood, no burn. I'm still really new at this, so technique is still improving and will be for a while, but I have to think this helped making a third pass with no felt or visible irritation.

I know it was an old thread, but it got bumped up to where I saw it and it was one more valuable tip from the folks at B&B. Thanks.

Awesome to hear. I don't know if i'll venture into that as a routine, but i'm certain to try it at some point. Glad to hear it worked out.

Top Bottom