What's new

Products that did not work for you

We all have had the experience of using a product with high anticipation. You use the product and find that it does not work for you. Share your experience.

The product that I'm working on is Stirling, for some reason just can not get it to lather right.

Mike's Traditional Soap.
I got 3-4 samples, since so many B&Bers like this soap and it also happens to be very affordable.
I loved the Traditional Barbershop fragrance - it still is one of the best fragrances that I've come across.
I really like the back story, and what this guy is trying to do. I wanted to buy from him.
But I'm damned if I could get a decent lather from any of the samples.
Too bad.
On the other hand, what a pleasure to know that there is so much choice out there, and the razor/blade/software combination that works for each and every one of us is out there. Usually at a decent price too.

Last edited:
B&M. Simply cannot get the lather dialed in correctly regardless of how much water I added. I'd be damned if I didn't try every shave for a month, but was always left with razor burn and weepers.

This:
$download.jpg $lordplatblades1.jpg

Last edited:
Based on user reviews, there are lot of blades that have surprisingly not worked well for me, but the biggest surprise has to be the Polisilver SI in my 37c. It really wants to be great. Feels very sharp and very smooth while shaving, but leaves bad razor burn. Not sure why it feels so smooth and still leaves the burn. Still have to try it in my NEW and my Fatboy, but man, it doesn't seem to agree with me in the slant.

Herban Cowboy shaving soap from World or Central market grocery. I could never get the puck to provide any amount of slick lather.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado shaving cream. It loads up nicely on any of my brushes and produces a good lather, but I don't find it produces good protection and my blades don't seem to glide as well as with other creams in their line-up. It also dries up quite quickly. I once used this with my straight razor and when I got to the opposite side of my face, I passed my razor and the cream just flaked away... Razor burn central. I'm also not a fan of the completely unexpected floral scent. I was quite let down, as I expected much better results than I was able to achieve.

Tabac. Couldn't get past the odor.
Gillette Yellows. Tear me up like I was shaving with a saw blade.
Aqua Velva. The smell is just "meh" to me.

Personna razor blades.
Cremo shaving cream.
Lathering on the puck.
Shaving in the sink (instead of the shower)

I plan to revisit each of these again.

Maggards Fougere. My skin hasn't been sensitive to anything but this. It lit my face up!
Feather blades. Feel smooth while shaving but after leave me with razor burn

Last edited:
Top Bottom