What's new

Aftershave Balm

Ok guys I have another stupid question, been DE wetshaving for about 6 weeks and will never go back to what I was doing before but have a aftershave question ?

My routine:

Soak one of my badger brushes while showering and put alittle water on top of my soap then load up for about a minute and then work up a lather for a 3 pass after I'm done I rinse off with hot water and then cold water and follow up with some Captains Choice (love the bay rum) any way i hear alot about after applying the after shave alot of you apply a balm but I don't want to cover up the after shave so is it just another step in skin prep to avoid dry skin and if necessary what is a good non scented balm to get.

Thanks

I do a similer routine. Today I put on a bay rum splash then followed with Nivea Sensitive balm. The bay rum gives a great burn then after I clean up I throw on the balm and skins feeling good after that

+1 for Nivea sensitive skin after shave balm. I don't have an issue with it covering up my after shave (Clubman, AV Blue, etc)

Oddly enough (as if I had to say that on B&B...), I tried the Nivea sensitive a while back -- and it gave me a rash!

Maybe they've changed the formulation -- and I know I have changed my shaving/skin care attitude/routine (thanks to B&B)...I'll give it a go.

The RSC balm is also very nice--inexpensive and often available locally.

You might also try Lucky Tiger Aftershave and Face Tonic. Witch hazel, aloe, glycerin, vitamin E, it's very healing. Its (pleasant) scent disappears in a couple of minutes, so you can follow on with your favorite aftershave or cologne.

QCS makes great balms incl unscented.
i just tried Simpsons "Skin Food" and think that's pretty special stuff, too. But I think QCS makes the best balms I've used.

A much-lauded balm is from The Gentlemen's Refinery.... but that's out of my price range.

Last edited:
Well stopped at the local place and picked up a tube of this

$450.jpg

The aftershave splashes I use usually fade very soon: 4711 cologne, D. R. Harris pink. Then I can apply whatever balm fits into the general theme. I use mainly rose, almond, and bergamot/neroli products. Still looking for almond after-shave products, but I have the other two covered. RazoeRock Don Marco iran exception, an aftershave splash strong enough that it does need its own balm.

A big "plus one" to the Queen Charlotte Soap aftershave balm; I've only used the rose, and it is champion.

After every shave, and before as well, I always use a touch of Geo. F. Trumper Coral Skin Food. Marvelous stuff.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Proraso's new Green balm is great and my daily "go-to" when not using a splash. I find it very refreshing and moisturizing, with a nice, light fragrance.

Proraso's new Green balm is great and my daily "go-to" when not using a splash. I find it very refreshing and moisturizing, with a nice, light fragrance.

So I take it to either using a splash or balm but not both ? I have been using both the pass couple days, I have be splashing with some Captains Choice and then just a button of balm after, and my face is pretty smooth.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
So I take it to either using a splash or balm but not both ? I have been using both the pass couple days, I have be splashing with some Captains Choice and then just a button of balm after, and my face is pretty smooth.

Sir, there are no fixed rules on how to use aftershaves splashes and balms: some men use both type together, some use only one or the other, some even use none! If the combo splash + balm works great for you and your skin feels perfectly fine and smooth afterwards go on that way!

I finish with a splash, very often 4711 cologne. It's not too long-lasting, which is fine. I use before and after every shave Geo. F. Trumper Coral Skin Food; I swear by the stuff. A little bit really does help my skin.

Maybe ten or fifteen minutes after my shave, I often will apply a balm. I do this when my shave still might feel a bit hot. TFS BM. Or QCS Rose Otto, if I've been using a rose soap.

+1 for the proraso green. I usually use it after the splash and the light scent of the proraso does not overpower the splash.

Top Bottom