What's new

Dad's old razor

I recently visited my parents and got into a shaving discussion with my Dad. I switched from cartridge to straight shaving 5 months ago. My Dad on the other hand has been shaving with a safety razor all of his adult life (he's 79). He showed me his razor that he has been using for the last 60 years:

$dads.jpg

He said he had a new "fancy" razor that someone gave him but isn't interested in trying it out. He used to shave with Palmolive cream but can't find it anymore so is using canned foam :scared:. He says it dries too fast and now only shaves once a week. I'm going to send him some Proraso. I think he wants to stick with the razor but I might send him some blades.

good lord, lol. he must have skin like leather...lol. i can barely shave everyday with a mild razor like a tech, let alone something like that. you surely gotta hook him up with a new one right? or is he stubborn like my old man, and try and give him something new and just throws at back at ya and says, mine is working just fine the way it is....

He's as stubborn as they come. forrestgump, you described him perfectly. That's why I was surprised he complained about the canned stuff. Scott, that's an interesting idea. It would need a major cleaning first but I'm afraid some of the rust is all that's holding it together :laugh:.

On a serious note... I'm a little concerned about the rust causing an infection.

Catch him during the winter and let him grow his beard out..They'll clean it also, if you get it replated..if he doesn't just make sure he's caught up on his tetanus shot!!

That surely looks like a blood thirsty Dracula.

Offer to clean it up and replate it for him. Something he's using for so long will definitely have sentimental value.

Offer to clean it up and replate it for him. Something he's using for so long will definitely have sentimental value.

+1 This is an outstanding suggestion! I'm sure he'll notice a major difference. That razor does need a major cleaning.

@Juergen

You are lucky to have such a prized possession(that would be both your father and the razor). Keep a close eye on it. My father died 25 years ago at the young age of 67. He shaved with some kind of open comb razor that was in horrific condition but it had been with him for his entire adult life and he wasn't going to give it up. I can still recall the menthol smell of the brushless Nozxema shaving cream. I also remember that his styptic pencil was his closest friend. The open comb razor, whatever it was, tore him up pretty good. I didn't think much about the razor until about 10 years ago when I realized that it would be something that I would really like to have. Unfortunately, my mother had tossed it many years earlier. My bad.

Cheers

They still make Palmolive cream in Australia and I can get some from the local supermarket if he might be interested, I have some Cella too if that's his kind of thing.

No charge of course :)

Attachments

• $GEM 055.jpg
    $GEM 055.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 333
Don't the Indians still make Palmolive tubes and sticks? I'd say just let him enjoy his razor. Ppl that old hate having the boat rocked.

That's a cool razor and neat story. Thanks for sharing. Even if your dad wouldn't let the razor go for 3-4 weeks for replating, a good cleaning with scrubbing Bubbles and a stiff toothbrush would help. As others noted, you can get him some Palmolive cream or stick from many on-line sources. Get him some of that.

Hi,

I am going to take the unpopular stance. Do not do anything to his razor. Not even cleaning. It is the way he likes it. You can clean it after it becomes yours. I will also say to not run off and replate it even after it becomes yours. It would greatly diminish the heritage. If you have to have a shiny version to use, pick up another one from someone you never knew and plate that one. Keep Dad's safe and as he used it. :)

I am fortunate enough to have two from my Dad and one from each Grandfather, and eventually even my Mother's. None of them will be 'redone' in any way. I will eventually pass them onto my two grandsons (we had two daughters) along with instructions to not go and get carried away with 'restorations'. ;)

Stan

yea he sounds like my old man then....but i just cant figure out how them bars got bent way down like that? you should try picking him up a gillette de. maybe a flare tip super speed. or just a pre war fat handled tech. he might go for something like that, its just the new chrome shiney razor that just turns him off. i know i gave my dad, (he's 72) a ball end tech and he really liked it. he said he used to shave with a tto version when he was in the air force. he said they made him shave every day with it, and he hated it. thats why he didnt want to try shaving with a de again. but i gave him one and he did shave with it, for a little while. it now sits under the sink and he's back to cheapie bics and stuff. and yep, canned goo for him too.

Top Bottom