What's new

What I know, think I know, and don't know

Greetings from Austin, Texas, United States of America! After lurking for a while, I decided to join y'all. I have my initial gear in place, and I am planing my first wet shave this afternoon!

One thing I know
  • The B&B online community is fantastic! I stumbled across the B&B site while researching Harry's vs. Dollar Shave Club. I figured if I wanted to get a good shave, I might as well ditch the cartridges. I really learned a lot from the shave wiki, and I enjoyed the wisdom gleaned from the newbie forum and veteran posters. The friendliness, encouragement, and enthusiasm here makes this a great online community.

Two things I think I know
  • Technique > tech Whether you are talking shuffleboard, shooting, or shaving, I think the best gear (i.e., tech) in the world makes minimal difference if I don't have good technique. With that said, I also believe in the adage, "If you buy quality, you only cry once." The Lord blessed me with financial means to get what I think is a good starter kit (pictured below). I know I could have spent a lot more on razor, brush, soaps, etc., but I wanted something that would give me a good start, and last a while until I could get my technique down. I plan to stick to the 30-day rule I watched on a video here in the newbie forum and not switch things around in the beginning.
  • My blade knowledge is lacking My razor came with five Derby Extra blades, and I plan to start with them because I read they are forgiving, and more importantly, my blade sample pack from West Coast Shaving hasn't arrived yet. I ordered the Extended DE Blade Sampler pack, which includes some Derby's. Since I don't know much about blades, I figure I would just change blades after three shaves, stick with the same blade type for at least 15 shaves, and I would save the Feather blades for last. Any suggestion on a mild blade to try after the Derby's?
​
Three things I don't know
  • Do soaps from the same manufacturer vary wildly? I am starting with a Colonel Konk sampler (Amber, Almond, Bay Rum, and Lime). Will I see a marked difference in lather making, comfort, etc. if I switch soaps up in the beginning? Or, should I just pick one soap and stick with it for 30-days until I get really good at making lather and get my technique down?
  • Is it OK to change around post-shave stuff initially? I picked up an alum block, witch hazel, and some Bull Dog after shave for my post-shave routine. If something doesn't agree with me, or I decide to try something new, will changing things up in the first 30-days be OK? I figure the closeness of the shave wouldn't change, but the comfort might.
  • What is the best way to hold a short-handled razor? I picked up an EJ89 Kelvin, the EJ exclusive for Amazon, and it has a short handle around 3.1 inches (78 mm). I was thinking about trying finger tips on the end of the handle.

Starter Kit
proxy.php

• Razor - Edwin Jagger DE89 Kelvin The knurling, short handle, and Amazon exclusive intrigued me.
  • Brush - Whipped Dog Silver Tip 24mm knot with Ivory Resin Handle I read good things about WD brushes for the money, and I was happy to support a local Texas vendor.
  • Stand - Colonel Conk Evernice Model 775 Chrome Safety Razor Stand I saw it on Amazon, and it seemed like a decent option.
  • Soap - Colonel Conk Glycerin Soap - Variety 4 Pack I wanted something inexpensive so I could practice making lather and try some different scents. I look forward to experimenting with soaps down the road.
  • Bowl - I couldn't find the famous Walmart salsa bowl I read about in several posts, but I picked up a porcelain fruit cup for $1. I do have a Captain's Choice shaving bowl on order, but I figured this would get me started.
  • Post-Shave - Shavex Alum Block, Clubman Stypic Pencil (if needed), Humphrey's Witch Hazel, and Bulldog Original After Shave Balm I got the alum block off Amazon, which seemed a good value for the size. The pencil was from Walmart, and the witch hazel and after shave were from Sprouts, a natural foods grocery store. I look forward to experimenting with after shave stuff down the road.

Welcome to B&B
Please read the rules, we have been having a issue with Newbies not reading the rules. My intent is not to be harsh. This is a gentlemanly reminder.

Terms of Usage (Forum Rules)
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Terms_Of_Usage

Forum Etiquette
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Forum_Etiquette

Shave Wiki (Lots of good info!)
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Faq

What is up with my User Title?
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Titles

Abbreviations & Acronyms
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Abbreviations

Glossary of Terms
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Glossary

B/S/T Rules (Buy/Sell/Trade)
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/249294

How to become a Contributing Member
http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/payments.php

Vendor and Hobbyist Guidelines
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/161502-VENDOR-POLICY-Guidelines

Welcome. What you "know" will change a lot as time goes by but don't let that steal the fun from today.
Just take your time and enjoy the experience.

Wow, Nick, that must have taken a fair bit of time to write all that stuff out... To the OP...welcome and enjoy your stay...a Mod will PM you if you break any rules...don't worry about that. Enjoy your stay, and be sure to visit the "New Posts" button at the top of this page for new posts...

You can also scan each forum by itself..., but that's a bit more time consuming. PM a mod with any questions you have. Remember the only dumb question you have is the one you don't ask. We are here to help!

Welcome, great set up.
You seem to have a good handle on things. Here's my two cents on "what you don't know":

• Do soaps from the same manufacturer vary wildly? It Depends, YMMV
  • Is it OK to change around post-shave stuff initially? It Depends, YMMV
  • What is the best way to hold a short-handled razor? It Depends, YMMV

Glad to be of service
:laugh:

In all seriousness though, it does depend a good bit on various factors.
For the soap, some soaps, like Razorock, will vary from scent to scent. But others follow the same formula with different scents and basically lather the same.
I would caution against changing more than one thing at once. If you want to change your post shave then leave everything else the same as the previous shave so you can isolate variables.
I can't help you with the razor. Don't have one. I would imagine the key is to hold it however is most comfortable for you.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I've found that it was harder to get the a wonderful lather from the lime ..... but it smells sooooooo good! All the rest provide lather as fast and good as the majority of my non-Conk soaps.

Hello and welcome to B&B, Kyle. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

That's a very nice set-up.

Soaps from the same maker should perform alike.

Definitely OK to change the post-shave (or any other part) whenever you want. That's part of the fun here.

Razor grip will just be intuitive as you apply it to your face. If you want, you can do some dry tuns with or without lather just to get a feel for how to grip the razor for maximum application of blade to face for each area of your face.

Good luck!!!

Welcome. The Col. was my first soap, this is a good starter soap. In my experience, I learned through trial and error. Try different methods and figure out what works best for your particular face. Cheers!

Looks like you've put together a very good starter kit, and it seems like you've spent plenty of time doing your research. I've been at this for about 4 months now. Here are my thoughts. I hope you find them helpful.

One thing I know

• The B&B online community is fantastic! I stumbled across the B&B site while researching Harry's vs. Dollar Shave Club. I figured if I wanted to get a good shave, I might as well ditch the cartridges. I really learned a lot from the shave wiki, and I enjoyed the wisdom gleaned from the newbie forum and veteran posters. The friendliness, encouragement, and enthusiasm here makes this a great online community.

Spot on, although you forgot the generosity of all the members participating in the PIF movement.

Two things I think I know
  • Technique > tech Whether you are talking shuffleboard, shooting, or shaving, I think the best gear (i.e., tech) in the world makes minimal difference if I don't have good technique. With that said, I also believe in the adage, "If you buy quality, you only cry once." The Lord blessed me with financial means to get what I think is a good starter kit (pictured below). I know I could have spent a lot more on razor, brush, soaps, etc., but I wanted something that would give me a good start, and last a while until I could get my technique down. I plan to stick to the 30-day rule I watched on a video here in the newbie forum and not switch things around in the beginning.

True, to a point. I think technique is number one. The differences in everything except razors and blades will make little difference compared to technique. I do believe anyone can get a good shave with any razor. However, certain razors will allow more leeway in technique than others. Some razors will also fit your natural tendencies and skin / face type better as well. I do not think that anyone can get a good shave with any blade. There are blades out there that I simply cannot use comfortably, no matter how I alter my technique to try to compensate.

One note about the 30 day rule. I would give yourself a week or two of starting time before enacting it. Particularly with blade selection. Go through 3 - 5 different blades and decide which one to stick with for the first 30 days.

• My blade knowledge is lacking My razor came with five Derby Extra blades, and I plan to start with them because I read they are forgiving, and more importantly, my blade sample pack from West Coast Shaving hasn't arrived yet. I ordered the Extended DE Blade Sampler pack, which includes some Derby's. Since I don't know much about blades, I figure I would just change blades after three shaves, stick with the same blade type for at least 15 shaves, and I would save the Feather blades for last. Any suggestion on a mild blade to try after the Derby's?
​
Sampler packs are great, but I still recommend only going through 3 - 5 to start with, then picking one to stick with for 30 days from those first few you tried. I get decent shaves from Derbys, many don't. From the pack you ordered, I would try the Crystals, the Astra SPs, and the Personna Reds next.

Three things I don't know
  • Do soaps from the same manufacturer vary wildly? I am starting with a Colonel Konk sampler (Amber, Almond, Bay Rum, and Lime). Will I see a marked difference in lather making, comfort, etc. if I switch soaps up in the beginning? Or, should I just pick one soap and stick with it for 30-days until I get really good at making lather and get my technique down?

I'm working my way through the same set of soaps right now. They do not vary much from each other in terms of lather building, slickness, or protection. I would pick the scent you like best and stick with it for a while, but if you decide to rotate them throughout your first 30 days, it's not a big variable change. And the Lime smells much better lathered on the skin than it does from the puck. The Amber is my least favorite scent.

• Is it OK to change around post-shave stuff initially? I picked up an alum block, witch hazel, and some Bull Dog after shave for my post-shave routine. If something doesn't agree with me, or I decide to try something new, will changing things up in the first 30-days be OK? I figure the closeness of the shave wouldn't change, but the comfort might.

Again, you might give yourself a couple of weeks up front to decide. I think Post Shave has more to do with what your skin appreciates than with technique. If you plan to use the alum block, it will tell you a lot about where you are with your technique, as will just about any alcohol-based aftershave. However, if you have sensitive skin, then your Post Shave routine can ruin an otherwise good shave. My overall irritation went down considerably when I stopped using my Benzoyl Peroxide wash post shave.

• What is the best way to hold a short-handled razor? I picked up an EJ89 Kelvin, the EJ exclusive for Amazon, and it has a short handle around 3.1 inches (78 mm). I was thinking about trying finger tips on the end of the handle.

There are some good YouTube resources on it, but I think most would recommend starting with the thumb, index, and middle finger hold, with your ring finger resting on the bottom of the handle. After a month or two, you'll naturally adjust it to your taste.

Welcome. Here's my $0.02.

Blades: The Red Personna's and Dorco's are probably next in the mild category. Then try the Gillete and Astras, finally Crystal and Feather. I know I left some out. I haven't tried them all myself. Just be careful with them and you should be ok.

Short handled razors: I have an MR1, and find it perfect. I basically hold the end of the razor with my finger tips. remember to minimize pressure and let razor weight do your work.

Post Shave: No issue with changing things up here. You will find one you like best. I just use an alum block, and occasionally a balm like the Gillette balm available in most local stores.

Good luck!

Wow, Nick, that must have taken a fair bit of time to write all that stuff out... To the OP...welcome and enjoy your stay...a Mod will PM you if you break any rules...don't worry about that. Enjoy your stay, and be sure to visit the "New Posts" button at the top of this page for new posts...

Thanks Crag. I was worried I had already broken a rule or something!

Thanks for the feedback on my questions.

I just finished my first wet shave. I never thought I would say I enjoyed shaving, but that was really nice!

• Lather - I followed the "How to make great lather from a glycerin soap" part 1 & part 2 tutorials and felt like I did an OK job here. I used the Lime Col. Konk because I thought it smelled the best.
  • Razor grip - this is going to take some time to figure out what is comfortable.
  • Weepers - I had two small weepers around my lip area that the alum block sealed off. No need for the styptic.
  • Witch hazel - The Humprhey's smelled a bit different, but felt good.
  • Bull Dog After Shave - very light scent, and felt a little greasy until it dried.
  • Overall shave - about a 6 out of 10 stars. My cheeks are amazingly smooth (lots of faceturbating there). I have some missed stubble on neck, lip area, and jawline. I have some slight redness on the lower neck area.

I cannot wait to try again tomorrow!

Thanks for the feedback on my questions.

I just finished my first wet shave. I never thought I would say I enjoyed shaving, but that was really nice!

• Lather - I followed the "How to make great lather from a glycerin soap" part 1 & part 2 tutorials and felt like I did an OK job here. I used the Lime Col. Konk because I thought it smelled the best.
  • Razor grip - this is going to take some time to figure out what is comfortable.
  • Weepers - I had two small weepers around my lip area that the alum block sealed off. No need for the styptic.
  • Witch hazel - The Humprhey's smelled a bit different, but felt good.
  • Bull Dog After Shave - very light scent, and felt a little greasy until it dried.
  • Overall shave - about a 6 out of 10 stars. My cheeks are amazingly smooth (lots of faceturbating there). I have some missed stubble on neck, lip area, and jawline. I have some slight redness on the lower neck area.

I cannot wait to try again tomorrow!

Excellent. Keep the posts coming.

Great start! Welcome. A few pointers:

1. Yes, stick to one brand of blades while you start out. We do tend to fuss over blade differences, which is fun and useful, but for later on. Right now, stick with the Derbys. When your extended sampler pack (same one I bought) arrives from WCS, use up all the Derby's first. I'm still working my way through the sampler pack. I did see that Astra SPs were the best so far, so I ordered a hundred. As you use various blades, take brief notes, how sharp, how smooth, how long they last, etc.

2. Soaps. My downfall. And creams. I have buying way too many, but I'm learning lots. I have used a brush and a hard soap puck, first Floris, then usually Trumper Rose, for 50 years. Keep practicing on your soap. Your lather will get better. I don't have the best luck with glycerin soaps. In a while, if I were you, I'd try Cella and a hard soap, maybe one from RazoRock. Then you can get the lathering technique down pat with different kinds of soap. Look for the Marco Method for lathering the Cella.

3. Pay attention to the attack technique. Feel your face before and after each pass, see what needs work. Two careful passes and a good touch-up (sometimes jaw-line, always neck) insures me a BBS 90% of the time. But I don't try for it, just let it appear after my 2 passes and touch-up.

4. Prep. For me, really important. Hot shower first, always. Wash and soak my whiskers twice with soap and then shampoo. Then I put on a pre-shave and let it soak in while I build lather in my bowl. I am a bowl-latherer, but I do use my silvertip brush to really get the lather well rubbed into my phiz.

5. No witch hazel or styptic for me. Cold rinse, alum block, cold rinse. Then aftershave splash. Then when that dries, an aftershave balm, most often Geo. F. Trumper Coral Skin Food, or TFS, or QCS, or RazoRock Don Marco, depending on the smell theme of my shave.

20 minutes of bliss.

Of course, your routine will be very different, but once you are a little more confident with the basics, branch out a bit, read reviews, spend too much time looking over Italian Barber or West Coast Shaving goodies.

Have fun.

Yrs, Vespasian (Robert)

Top Bottom