What's new

Twenty Cent Tip Receipt From Philly Eagles' Player LeSean McCoy on eBay

Apparently the Eagles running back left a twenty cent tip on a $61.76 total in a burger joint. Only twenty cents?!? The receipt is on eBay at $100K! According to the listing the money will go the restaurant staff. I hope this is not a hoax!

Here is the link to the news story.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I had extra 100,000 lying around just for this kinda things this month, but I spent it all on tips. Tough luck for me. :(

From his account it was a case of very bad service not to mention the server was rude to he and his friends.

Do you tip when you get bad service? I sure don't.

Do you tip when you get bad service? I sure don't.

I make sure I tip when I get bad service, and I also leave a very small amount on a credit card--usually $0.05, because I don't make as much as McCoy. I leave something so the server doesn't chalk up the absence of a tip to me being someone who doesn't tip.

That being said, none of us will know what happened. The restaurant claims the service was great, McCoy disagrees. Unfortunately for McCoy, he's a public figure so he's in the limelight and will get bad publicity even if he's in the right.

I make sure I tip when I get bad service, and I also leave a very small amount on a credit card--usually $0.05, because I don't make as much as McCoy. I leave something so the server doesn't chalk up the absence of a tip to me being someone who doesn't tip.

That being said, none of us will know what happened. The restaurant claims the service was great, McCoy disagrees. Unfortunately for McCoy, he's a public figure so he's in the limelight and will get bad publicity even if he's in the right.

I agree. By no tip I do leave a little tip. I have been known to tip very well for very good service and sometimes I tip in cash because credit card tips are often divided between the wait staff. If the service is exceptionally good or bad I try to always have a word with the manager about it. Especially if it's bad because the server is strung all over the restaurant with six more tables. That's not fair to anyone.

Like many things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. McCoy may not have been treated as he felt he deserved, the restaurant probably gave decent, but not slavish service and then all parties walk away with their perceptions of the experience firmly set based on whichever ax they are grinding.

He said, she said.

Multi-million dollar athletes have no room in the karmic universe left to leave pathetic tips to restaraunt servers. If it weren't for the gift from the great genetic lottery, they'd be working along side the staff they stiff.

I'm kind of surprised that no other patrons have come forward to explain the truth in this matter. At least I haven't heard anything.

Multi-million dollar athletes have no room in the karmic universe left to leave pathetic tips to restaraunt servers. If it weren't for the gift from the great genetic lottery, they'd be working along side the staff they stiff.

Very well said.

I find it more reprehensible that the restaurant owner found it necessary to share McCoy's receipt including signature for the world to see. Did he sign away his right to privacy when he left a desultory tip?

I think until we find out, from an independent party, whether the service was bad or McCoy just didn't tip, it's hard to lay blame on anyone involved. I will say that whoever posted that receipt is taking a pretty big chance, publicly, if it's determined that the service was really bad.

McCoy say the service was bad and was making a point. Owner says the party was rude and disrespectful.
A couple of callers to our local Sports Talk radio stations claimed that restaurant staff were bringing McCoy things to sign during the meal.
Without proof, it's a he said/he said tie.
Leaving a 20 cent tip to my mind is not "not tipping", it sounds more like "tipping to make a point".

Whatever the story, the owner of PYT will never see my business again, just for the posting of the receipt. On that point I don't care who is right or wrong, the restaurant should not have done that.

(Note I might be biased because he is the bestest RB in the league ;) )

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
A few years ago I once tipped $0.01, deposited directly to the manager, when the wait staff asked I wanted change. I had provided a $50 note for a $20-something bill.

Last edited:
I do not understand why this is news. It is McCoy's money, and he can do with it what he pleases. This public crucifixion that people receive for the smallest things is disturbing, especially when it comes after only hearing one side of the story.

It is McCoy's money, and he can do with it what he pleases.

I agree, to a point, but if you're the waiter and provided good service only to be stiffed ( i'm not saying that's what happened here ) you might be mad enough to call him out, especially if you live off of tips.

Top Bottom