What's new

Twenty Cent Tip Receipt From Philly Eagles' Player LeSean McCoy on eBay

McCoy say the service was bad and was making a point. Owner says the party was rude and disrespectful.
A couple of callers to our local Sports Talk radio stations claimed that restaurant staff were bringing McCoy things to sign during the meal.
Without proof, it's a he said/he said tie.
Leaving a 20 cent tip to my mind is not "not tipping", it sounds more like "tipping to make a point".

Whatever the story, the owner of PYT will never see my business again, just for the posting of the receipt. On that point I don't care who is right or wrong, the restaurant should not have done that.

I'd definitely agree with you on all accounts, especially the last. I would definitely stop going to that place if it were close to me. The owner is milking this incident for all that it's worth. I remember when the story initially made the headlines a week or two ago because he was Facebooking/Tweeting about it. Now he's selling the receipt...greedy, attention-whore

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
$6.15 shipping!!

Doesn't a receipt fit in an envelope? One 49 cent stamp will cover it.

One cheapskate calling another cheapskate cheap!

It's selling for around 100k - don't you think he/she could afford the shipping? I mean come on they obviously have the money.

hmmm I get a 20 cent tip from a man who has millions of dollars and I make a big fuss about it. I then sell his receipt for over 100k and I charge 6 bucks to ship it. Yeah that makes sense to me.

hmmm I get a 20 cent tip from a man who has millions of dollars and I make a big fuss about it. I then sell his receipt for over 100k and I charge 6 bucks to ship it. Yeah that makes sense to me.

The receipt isn't being auctioned by the waiter, or even the manager, from what i'm reading. Also, I can't imagine that any of those bids are real.

The receipt isn't being auctioned by the waiter, or even the manager, from what i'm reading. Also, I can't imagine that any of those bids are real.
Per Fox News "It was posted by user with the name of “fauxrean” who identifies himself as a friend of the owner of the Philadelphia burger joint "to ensure something positive comes out of this somewhat negative action that has recently taken place.""

What would the implications have been if McCoy had left a Fiddy Cent tip?

proxy.php

This is what happens when an entitled, punk, new money millionaire collides with a smarmy, disaffected, too cool for school hipster who probably acted like they were doing Shady a favor. And the restaurant owner is an attention ho for posting the receipt. They all deserve each other.

Per Fox News "It was posted by user with the name of “fauxrean” who identifies himself as a friend of the owner of the Philadelphia burger joint "to ensure something positive comes out of this somewhat negative action that has recently taken place.""

That's what I read as well.

I guess my point has been that it seems rather odd that a restaurant would knowingly sully it's name over $15. Which makes me believe that the service may have not been as bad as it seemed. ( again I don't know the full story )

Jason: in regards to your deleted post

You seem to make the argument that the waiter is solely responsible for auctioning the receipt, and the shipping. I could easily make the argument that the waiter never intended to do anything with the receipt, other than what he did on Twitter, and the manager demanded it from him. Without any concrete proof, both of our scenarios are hearsay, which is why I find this scenario so curious.

For everyone

I find it hard to believe that a waiter would knowingly post something about the best running back in Philly, if he knowingly gave bad service. I also have a hard time believing the manager would blindly side with the waiter over $15, especially knowing his business could suffer because of it. And for the record, I think the ebay posting is a little over the top, but I also think it's fake. If anyone pays 100,000 for that, that would be the biggest travesty of them all.

I'm willing to admit that McCoy could have received poor service, it's also possible that he received great service and stiffed the waiter. I'm not sure how I feel about the outing of McCoy, but we live in a digital age now, where everyone has a camera and the ability to tell everyone anything. I've seen stories of bad tipping and extraordinary tipping by famous people alike. I never hear an outrage at a famous Person leaving a huge tip on a small bill, when they get outed. I don't think this kind of thing is going away any time soon.

Personally, if I was McCoy, I would have discussed the poor service with the manager. He probably would have had his food comped, the manager would have said something to the waiter, and everyone goes on with their life.

In the end, If we all had to put up a significant amount of money, that meant something to us (whatever that number is ), on the outcome and would lose that money if we were wrong, is anyone putting there money down now, without some more facts? I know I'm not.

There are two sides to every story, and McCoy may have a case. PYT has only three stars on Yelp, the popular restaurant rating website. Many of the complaints from the users there are about service, which Bowen cites as the reason for the bad tip.

Cited here: http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/shady-mccoy-says-20-cent-tip-situation-bull

So, three stars and complaints about service, yet because this guy has money, we hold him closer to the flame for his actions? I don't watch football. If this guy was walking down the street, I wouldn't know who he was. And even if someone came running up to me and said "Look! It's LeSean McCoy!", I still wouldn't know who he was.

Without being there, we will never know what the real story is. I don't find it hard to believe that some rich football players acted like jerks and I don't find it hard to believe that a restaurant with three stars gave bad service. It could go either way. I agree that it was wrong to out this guy in this manner, and if I was the football player, I'd probably tell people that I would no longer be spending my money at that establishment. Being in Philly, I'm sure his fans would back him up.

I tip. I can't remember not tipping. I have to say though, that I loathe tipping. I would prefer that a business owner, no matter what it is - food, hotel, hunting/fishing guide service, whatever it is, pay their own employees what they are worth and not make them rely upon me to make up the difference. All these people that receive or do not receive tips being pissed at the consumer should turn that disdain towards their cheap #ss employers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Cited here: http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/shady-mccoy-says-20-cent-tip-situation-bull

So, three stars and complaints about service, yet because this guy has money, we hold him closer to the flame for his actions? I don't watch football. If this guy was walking down the street, I wouldn't know who he was. And even if someone came running up to me and said "Look! It's LeSean McCoy!", I still wouldn't know who he was.

Without being there, we will never know what the real story is. I don't find it hard to believe that some rich football players acted like jerks and I don't find it hard to believe that a restaurant with three stars gave bad service. It could go either way. I agree that it was wrong to out this guy in this manner, and if I was the football player, I'd probably tell people that I would no longer be spending my money at that establishment. Being in Philly, I'm sure his fans would back him up.

I tip. I can't remember not tipping. I have to say though, that I loathe tipping. I would prefer that a business owner, no matter what it is - food, hotel, hunting/fishing guide service, whatever it is, pay their own employees what they are worth and not make them rely upon me to make up the difference. All these people that receive or do not receive tips being pissed at the consumer should turn that disdain towards their cheap #ss employers.

What ticks me off is tipping has extended to take out. So now, when I drive to pick up my pizza, I have to tip because they put it in the box for me.

What ticks me off is tipping has extended to take out. So now, when I drive to pick up my pizza, I have to tip because they put it in the box for me.

I certainly don't tip for takeout. What service did they perform? Did they brink you tea or an appetizer while you waited? If they did nothing but put your food in a box they did nothing worthy of a tip. Simply having a line on a receipt is not a "request" for a tip.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't care what this guy did or didn't do any more than I care what a group of New Jersey teenagers say to each other, or what real housewives from wherever had for dinner, or what Honey Boo Boo wore to her last pageant, or what some movie stars kid looks like.
I don't understand the interest in "celebrities" and in what strangers do in the course of their private lives.

I don't care what this guy did or didn't do any more than I care what a group of New Jersey teenagers say to each other, or what real housewives from wherever had for dinner, or what Honey Boo Boo wore to her last pageant, or what some movie stars kid looks like.
I don't understand the interest in "celebrities" and in what strangers do in the course of their private lives.

Well....yeah....there's that side of it too LOL.

I don't really care about it either, I was just giving an opinion of my thoughts based on the thread. In reality, it has nothing to do with me one way or the other.

Multi-million dollar athletes have no room in the karmic universe left to leave pathetic tips to restaraunt servers. If it weren't for the gift from the great genetic lottery, they'd be working along side the staff they stiff.

+Argonaut!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I only met one celebrity that held my interest- Charlie Duke, Apollo 16 Lunar Module Pilot. He had some great stories. We let him fly our (well, the company I used to work for) Airbus 320 simulator and he greased it in like he had been flying it for years.

Top Bottom