What's new

Tabac Original (new formulation)

As of now... See http://www.m-w.de/detail/items/tabac-original-facelift-503.html. First column is old, and the second one is new. Same ingredients but different ratios...

$47iLdvF.jpg

I like the design of the new bowl, the font design is cleaner and the lid color is better. I believe some of the vintage tabac AS bottles have a similar dark brown cap.

The thing I think may make a lathering difference is the lower amount of potassium hydroxide. The 'soft' part of a shave soap. A harder cake may make a difference. I love Tabac and hope they have not bollocksed it. I strongly suspect this is not the first reformulation of "The Original". Companies tweak this stuff all the time. Trumper shave soaps have been changed numerous times over the decades. At least according to what I have seen reported on forums. It didn't really go downhill til the last two or so. Lets hope Maurer & Wirtz aren't heading that direction. I really hate to say it again but with the stellar performance of small batch shave soaps on the rise, another two to five years of this stuff will see an almost abandonment of the high street manufacturers. I say that a bit tongue in cheek because of all the grand old brands, Tabac was never pretentious or tried to cater to snob appeal. Like our English Leather(MEM years) it was a solid, MALE fragrance and toiletry range that just worked. Again, fingers crossed it is still top shelf.

looks like Tabac will be joining Williams in its fall from victory!

I doubt that the reformulation is that extreme. My guess is it will be subtle, but time will tell I suppose. I wonder how long till we will start seeing the new version in the retail channels.

I doubt that the reformulation is that extreme. My guess is it will be subtle, but time will tell I suppose. I wonder how long till we will start seeing the new version in the retail channels.

Yes, or maybe even no change at all. That could happen with a group of ingredients in roughly equal relative weights, so the listed order is arbitrary. Or it might happen if regulations have changed since the last time they revisited the product label.

I see parfum still holds the number seven spot.

Well I doubt the performance has changed much but hopefully there aren't more little changes down the road that add up and give us an inferior product.

Top Bottom