What's new

Gem G-Bar vs Clog Pruf vs MMOC (not the beast afterall)

I've been DE wetshaving (and Shick Injector) for almost 2 years, but recently decided to try out some SE's.

I got a G-Bar in about 2 weeks ago, along with the PTFE coated stainless blades. It seemed to shave fine, but is really mild. Kinda like a Tech!

For reference, two of my favorite DE's are a Slim set on 8 or 9, and News. I also got a FaTip Piccolo at the same time as the SE blades, since I'm looking for something more aggressive.

Anyway, on Monday a package arrived with a very nice Gem Clog Pruf and a MMOC. So on Tuesday I took the twice used blade from the Gbar and put it in the Clog Pruf. Nice shave, slightly more aggressive but not a huge difference. Today I loaded that same blade into the MMOC, and was ready to tame the beast!

Beast, what beast? WHile it was slightly more aggressive than the Clog Pruf, it was not that big a deal at all. The Fatip seems much more aggressive.

Now, I have not ever used an R41, but others here say it is as aggressive as the Beast. My shave today was a two pass plus touch up, and I got about the same DFS as I would using my NEWs. Kinda disappointing. I didnt have a nick, weeper or any redness/ burn anywhere, and had a very fine shave. I was expecting more/ closer.

So, do I need to try a fresh blade tomorrow? Or do I need to get the carbon steel blades? Or do I just need to order an R41?

I found the Clog-Pruf and G-bar to be very similar, but the MMOC was much more aggressive - too aggressive for me - but it wasn't as aggressive/irritating as the Fatip or R41.

I gave up on stainless and coated blades very quickly. The carbon blades are much smoother.

My experience is that the MMOC is the most agressive razor that I own, more agressive than my 2013 R41. I can get a close comfortable shave with both the R41 and the MMOC, but they both demand that I do my part. If I let my attention wander, I pay for it with a cut or a weeper. The least bit of excessive pressure results in irritation.

All my other SE's (1912's Damaskeenes, G-bar, Clog-Pruf, Ever Readies, etc) are considerably milder than the MMOC.

I use the Gem Stainless PTFE blades. I find them to be a little harsh for the first two shaves, then fine for a week or so. I use a G-bar or Featherweight for the first two shaves before putting the blade in something more agressive. A brand new blade in the MMOC is asking for trouble. As always, YMMV (and probably will).

--Bob

Thanks for the replys.

After about 3 shaves, the GEM Stainless blade seem to be kinda tuggy. Is that normal? Going xtg on my upper lip with the MMOC.

Are the carbon steel blades less tuggy? Or am I using these at too shallow of an angle? I start out with it flat against my face, and then raise it just enough until it starts to cut.

I don't understand the logic of "The first shave (or two shaves) will cut your face to ribbons, but the third shave will be okay". Why would I want to endure an irritating or bloody shave or two just so that I could get a comfortable shave later?

That's why I use carbon steel blades - I get a good shave every time.

I would hardly describe the first couple of shaves as "cut your face to ribbons." Rather, the alum block simply has more of a bite unless I exercise extreme caution.

As I mentioned above, I don't like to use the MMOC with a new blade. This is not a problem, since I rarely use the same razor more than two or three days in a row.

What is a problem for me (or an annoyance, anyway) is having to remove and dry the blade after every shave, which I can avoid with the stainless steel blades.

--Bob

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I prefer carbons in my MMOC also. Just a drop of baby oil between my finger and thumb and rub it on both sides of the blade. very easy to maintain.

It's always going to feel smoother than the de you mentioned as those de expose a lot of very flexible de blade, and se blades don't really chatter. If you want a more aggressive SE, get yourself a star lather catcher.

I tried a slightly steeper angle this morning with the mmoc, and got a very nice 2 pass + touch up DFS/BBS. I think that was the trick, just a little more angle.

No irritation or nicks at all. The sound of the cutting is great feedback. :)

I decided to give the MMOC one last try today before I gave up on it. I use aggressive razors only when I have a 2-day growth (or more), which I had this morning.

So what I did differently today was to rest the cap of the razor against my skin. The taper of the cap created an almost-ideal shaving angle and today's shave, with a carbon blade, was much smoother and more irritation-free than my two previous MMOC shaves. I had a couple of tiny weepers, but only a bit of sting in a few spots when I used my alum block. The MMOC will live to shave another day!

Bob-

Good to hear you are keeping the MMOC in the rotation!

I think I need to get some carbon steel blades to try.

Put the cap flush against your face, then raise it just enough until you start cutting. Then raise it maybe 5 degrees more. That's what I've found works best. :)

I basically rotate between 3 razors - MMOC, R41, and Giesen & Forsthoff open comb (which is far milder, but still more aggressive than say a DE89). The MMOC slots in somewhere between the two I'd say, I don't find it anywhere near as aggressive as the R41, but I still get very close shaves.

I do so wish there were a razor with the head design of the MMOC that had a detachable handle, because the lack of heft is what prevents me from using it far more often; it's my favorite SE shaver by a longshot. I think the relatively low weight of the MMOC is part of what creates its reputation--an aggressive razor that is so light is very easy to make mistakes on. It kind of reminds me of the Feather SS in that regard.

As for the first shave on a stainless, just palm or jean strop it a few times and you'll be good to go. I use mine for a week (5-6 shaves) and toss it, never felt the need to go longer.

Last edited:
I decided to give the MMOC one last try today before I gave up on it. I use aggressive razors only when I have a 2-day growth (or more), which I had this morning.

So what I did differently today was to rest the cap of the razor against my skin. The taper of the cap created an almost-ideal shaving angle and today's shave, with a carbon blade, was much smoother and more irritation-free than my two previous MMOC shaves. I had a couple of tiny weepers, but only a bit of sting in a few spots when I used my alum block. The MMOC will live to shave another day!
setting the cap against your face is the way to use Gem Razors and not Bleed.

The clog proof is the mildest by my experience. The g-bar actually a pretty good middle of the road razor. Underrated I think. I get a mild blade feel with a medium aggressive result. The MMOC is pretty aggressive. Keep a sharp blade in that one and expect a little razor burn. Close shave though, so it's in my rotation.

SE's almost always work this way. Much different blade angle from a DE. Cap is set a few degrees off the right angle. Start by putting the cap flush to your face, add a few degrees angle and you're usually dead on.

I agree the MMOC is probably the most aggressive in my experience, with the g-bar being the mildest for me. Your blade shouldn't tug at all, and should cut like a hot knife thru butter. You may need to adjust your angle slightly experimenting on what works well for you based upon how you hold the razor and other factors. I love the Gems and thoroughly enjoy having them in my razor rotation.

The PTFE blade should absolutely not tug on the first few shaves. After that it's a matter of personal preference how long you keep it.

I'd say there's not too much difference between the MMOC and the Clog-Pruf. Both shave smoother and cleaner ATG than the R41, but I'd say efficiency was similar. The R41 may feel more aggressive because the blade is less rigid. I can and do use all three with zero problems. The simplest shaves are with the Micromatics - just a single pass ATG and then cleanups ATG and XTG. I don't bother shaving WTG except under my nose. Lather needs to be runny and slick.

I've only shaved twice with my MMOC, and I can't say for sure whether the CVS blades I'm using are carbon steel or stainless. I don't find the MMOC particularly aggressive, but I do find it quite efficient. The Fatip open comb was much more aggressive in my opinion, but no more efficient. I find that all three of my SE razors, Supply injector, Blackhawk AC and MMOC produce very similar (and excellent) results. My favorite DE is my Game Change .86 which I would put in the same category as the MMOC and Blackhawk regarding aggressiveness, but it is not as efficient. Overall the "best" of the lot for me is the Supply, since it shaves just as close as the others and you hardly notice that you're shaving. But I somehow find it less satisfying to use, so until I bought the MMOC the Blackhawk saw the most use, but now the MMOC will probably get a fair share of use as well.

I've only shaved twice with my MMOC, and I can't say for sure whether the CVS blades I'm using are carbon steel or stainless. I don't find the MMOC particularly aggressive, but I do find it quite efficient. The Fatip open comb was much more aggressive in my opinion, but no more efficient. I find that all three of my SE razors, Supply injector, Blackhawk AC and MMOC produce very similar (and excellent) results. My favorite DE is my Game Change .86 which I would put in the same category as the MMOC and Blackhawk regarding aggressiveness, but it is not as efficient. Overall the "best" of the lot for me is the Supply, since it shaves just as close as the others and you hardly notice that you're shaving. But I somehow find it less satisfying to use, so until I bought the MMOC the Blackhawk saw the most use, but now the MMOC will probably get a fair share of use as well.

CVS blades are the carbon steel.

Top Bottom