What's new

Eastern European Invasion Begins

One of the things I really like about B&B is the exposure to shaving products from different parts of the world, and that some of these areas produce top notch products at very reasonable prices.

So, I have decided to try out several Eastern European creams. So far I've ordered Figaro (the Hungarian one) which just arrived, with some Wars from Poland (thanks to a recent BST sale) and Roses of Bulgaria and Super-Max lemon-lime from Bulgaria.

I'm more than happy to log my experiences with these products if anyone is interested in my blathering. Likewise, if anyone had good suggestions for another cream from this region, I'd be game to add it!

Looking forward to comments!

I would be interested in hearing how they perform for you. I'm just starting to explore creams a little more and trying to see which ones compare well with high quality soaps.

We are truly a group of international shaving products users. We allow ourselves to use products from all over the world.

I got my hands on some Barbor, which I think is from Bulgaria, but I've not used it yet.. (to many things that are open, that I should use up!).

Eastern European creams, in general, perform well above the average. I can't think of one that has really let me down. Best part is that they can be purchased for such a low price, even with shipping. They put most of the products found in local box stores and pharmacies to shame.

If you run across Domino shave cream, buy immediately.

Is it Barbor or Barbon? I know the latter is like a high-end Figaro and is also Hungarian.

So today I tried my Figaro shave cream. This was freshly arrived from Hungary by surface mail (my only option to acquire was through a "buy it now" from eBay, as no vendors in Canada seem to be selling this one). It was quite reasonably priced. However, that seems to be the way with Eastern European shave products.

The first thing that struck me was the scent of the cream. It does have a mossy/woodsy scent. I found it to be quite pleasant on the nose. Certainly not overbearing and I would call it masculine. The cream itself was a pleasure to lather. Very little effort was required to produce an explosion of lather that got me through a three-past shave. It offered excellent cushion and slickness. This was especially important as I was using my Schick type E injector for the second consecutive day in a row (and I find this one to be quite aggressive!). There was minimal irritation after the shave, which readily resolved following the application of the alum block followed by a very nice Figaro splash. All in all I would call this a fantastic product and well worth the money. To get to tubes of the cream as well as a bottle of the splash was under $20 and it took approximately eight days to arrive.

Just as an aside, I really love the splash! It has the same basic scent as the cream, but with more citrusy undertones. The scent is subtle but it does linger for a good 4-5 hours. It is one of those wonderful aftershaves that you can smell but is not in the least bit overbearing.

I will try this one for another few days just to make sure that my initial impressions hold up. However, based on this, I would not hesitate to recommend giving this Figaro a try (and it should be noted the Italian one isn't bad either).

Last edited:
Top Bottom