What's new

Making Aftershaves from EdCs and EdTs?

Hi there!

I wonder if this is possible. The first thing comming to my mind is adding good quality alcohol to the blend. Now, what about soothing materials? Glycerine, maybe? Distilled water?

There is and EdC it would nice to add something to it so it would not be so harsh. Suggestions are welcomed.

Best regards, M

I do this with Tabac cologne and Florida Water. All I do is add glycerin. I guess you could add some water or alcohol to dilute it if the scent is too strong.

I have done this several times, but don't make a huge production out of it. All I do is spray my cologne of the day into the palm of my hand and then add a bit of witch hazel. Rub my hands together to mix it all up and then rub it in.

Thanks for your replies.

I though about diluting an EdC to the average amount of aromatic compounds for aftershaves (1% to 3%) and add glycerine and menthol crystals.

If a typical EdC has a concentration of 3% to 8% of aromatic compounds, I'd have to do some calculations in order to achieve the necessary dilution. The point is how much glycerine (or propylene gycol) and how much menthol.

I will run some tests and write about them in the near future.

Thanks for your replies.

I though about diluting an EdC to the average amount of aromatic compounds for aftershaves (1% to 3%) and add glycerine and menthol crystals.

If a typical EdC has a concentration of 3% to 8% of aromatic compounds, I'd have to do some calculations in order to achieve the necessary dilution. The point is how much glycerine (or propylene gycol) and how much menthol.

I will run some tests and write about them in the near future.

Very interesting. I will looks forward to your results.

Well, I did. Glycerine disolves well in alcohol, and adding perfume ethanol would reduce sillage and longevity.

What you get is, paradoxically, a humid-like effect on the skin, reduced burning and more persistance. No soft skin whatsoever.

Camomille infusion would be the right option for it softens the skin, but I wonder how it would affect accords in the blend, plus the fact it might turn it white.

As far as I know this can be solved using distilled water.

So far it somehow substitutes after shaves. This means you can make your own if a particular EdC or EdT does not include after shaves in its product range.

I have "converted" two of my EdT's into aftershaves and it worked out fairly well. I assumed the EdT had a 10% aromatic compound concentration - As such I went with a 2:1:1 dilution ratio (Everclear:Witch Hazel:EdT) to bring the concentration within aftershave specifications. I then added glycerin and crushed menthol crystals. Many (including myself) would prefer to use perfumer's alcohol, but Everclear is more readily available - Not to mention, I am making a "trash can" aftershave. On a side note, the additional alcohol usage (as opposed to just witch hazel/EdT) allowed the final solution to be clear instead of cloudy.

I have "converted" two of my EdT's into aftershaves and it worked out fairly well. I assumed the EdT had a 10% aromatic compound concentration - As such I went with a 2:1:1 dilution ratio (Everclear:Witch Hazel:EdT) to bring the concentration within aftershave specifications. I then added glycerin and crushed menthol crystals. Many (including myself) would prefer to use perfumer's alcohol, but Everclear is more readily available - Not to mention, I am making a "trash can" aftershave. On a side note, the additional alcohol usage (as opposed to just witch hazel/EdT) allowed the final solution to be clear instead of cloudy.

This sounds interesting. How much glycerin did you add?

Top Bottom