What's new

Top 3 Westerns

I've started watching Westerns with my sons. It got me thinking about my favorite Westerns. And I'd be curious to hear other people chime in.

My top 3:

Unforgiven
The Searchers
McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Lonely Are the Brave
Johnny Guitar
_______, I'll get back to you with a third choice later....

Wow. So many phenomenal Westerns. Hard to arrive at a top three.

To the above mentioned Westerns, I'll add:

Once Upon a Time in the West
High Noon
Shane

For modern Westerns take a look at:
3:10 to Yuma
The Quick and the Dead

Western shaving trivia:
The second episode of this season's Hell on Wheels had a scene at an outdoor barber stand in Cheyenne, WY that started with the scene's main character wiping remaining shaving soap from his face and standing up from the barber chair to join his cronies.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
John Wayne in "True Grit", "Rooster Cogburn (...and the Lady)" and "The Shootist"'! :thumbsup:

attachment.php
$Rooster.jpg
attachment.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
"A film is never really good unless the camera is an eye in the head of a poet". Orson Welles

Last edited:
Magnificent Seven
Three Godfathers*
Fort Apache**

* Why this isn't a Christmas staple on tv I'll never know
** All three of Ford's "Cavalry" movies qualify...this was the first, and with the added bonus of Henry Fondle as a rat-bas**rd.

Honourable Mentions:
Rio Bravo...Dean Martin playing a drunk? Dean Martin playing a drunk! And Angie Dickenson.
Wild Bunch...Robert Ryan, Warren Oates, Ernie Borgnine. Hollywood's best bad-a$$es
Cheyenne Social Club...James Stewart and Henry Fondle as owners of a cathouse, and Shirley "Mrs. Partridge" Jones as the madam...rowrrrr!
I could go on...

In the past ten years I've rediscovered the genre (thank you, TCM), and have found a new appreciation for those old oaters. Joel McCrae is a sadly overlooked actor that I've sat down and watched in westerns like "Ride the High Country", but still have a soft spot for his work in "Sullivan's Travels" and "Foreign Correspondent".

Addendum: The Quick and The Dead was mentioned earlier...make that two votes for this one.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The Quick and the Dead

That whole movie was great, but 1 scene ruined it for me. It was near the end went Hackman gets shot and you can see light coming through his body via the bullet whole. A whole movie trashed for one stupid effect.

Top Bottom