What's new

Top 3 Westerns

I can't even narrow it down to my top 3 John Wayne westerns and there are many others, though I never like High Plains Drifter.

No way can I name just three films!

I go by the actors that star in them. You pick a film with any of these actors in it, and chances are it's going to be a good film.

John Wayne
Ward Bond
Walter Brennan
Ben Johnson
Clint Eastwood
Henry Fonda
James Stewart
Robert Duvall
Kevin Costner
Tom Selleck
Sam Elliott
Glenn Ford
Slim Pickens
James Garner
Gregory Peck

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Lonesome dove
The cowboys
Two mules for sister Sara.

Honorable mention. The good, the bad and the ugly!

+1 on The Cowboys. Bruce Dern was perfectly evil. Roscoe Brown was my favorite character. John Wayne dies....which results in a bunch of bad arse cowBOYS who became men with a thousand yard stare.

Tombstone.
Once upon a time in the west
True Grit (Original. Love the new one too but seen the original many more times :001_smile)

Blazing Saddles
Once Upon a Time in the West
True Grit (the Coen version)

For my taste, these are the only really great westerns - and I've seen tons.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
1. Dances with Wolves / The Last of the Mohicans
2. Open Range / How the West Was Won
3. Rio Bravo / Rio Grande

I haven't seen many, but really love the ones I have seen. So, here are 3 that I find myself watching whenever I catch them on TV:

1) The Quick and the Dead (Turner seems to love this one too..)
2) Tombstone
3) Unforgiven
Honorable Mention: Blazing Saddles, Fistful of Dollars (I liked it better than The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

Someone mentioned Hell on Wheels earlier. I watch it on Netflix, so I'm a season behind. But there were several shaving scenes in season 3. If I had more time, they'd make me wanna try a straight.

I can't believe I had forgotten one of my favorite films of all time, not to mention a Western. Good call earlier on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!

Top Bottom