What's new

seeking opinions on Luminox P-38

The title says it all. I'm interested in this watch but concerned about reliability/quality control. I can get it for a pretty good discount, if that helps. I'm in the Army and I jump out of planes. My current watch is a titanium Citizen that I have had for about 10 years. I am also curious about the leather strap and having the watch on in the shower or while swimming. Thanks for your input.

Leather strap + water = unhappy watch-wearer.

If you really want to wear it in the water and bang it around a lot, metal strap is (unsurprisingly) the most durable option. Silicon is probably the most practical but will pick up cuts and scrapes eventually.

Metal mesh might be good choice since unlike the other two it will breathe and dry out on its own. The downside is that if you need to clean it up (for inspection or something? I've never been in the army...) you might need a toothbrush or something to get mud out of it. While most metal mesh straps are polished and shiny, I'm pretty sure you can get ones with a black coating if that's a factor.

Here is a medium-expensive example of mesh bracelets:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/shark-mesh

finding cheaper ones isn't hard.

Last edited:
G-shock G-shock G-shock! IMHO I wouldn't use Luminox during military operations because the lume is so bright- not a good quality for a combat role. My guess is that if you jump out of planes, you train to be in combat. I recommend a G-shock. I also recommend that if you get a G-shock, you open the back and remove the tiny spring that touches the interior of the caseback to the movement. This will disable the alarm/ beeps etc., another possible liability in the field.
Best of luck!

The title says it all. I'm interested in this watch but concerned about reliability/quality control. I can get it for a pretty good discount, if that helps. I'm in the Army and I jump out of planes. My current watch is a titanium Citizen that I have had for about 10 years. I am also curious about the leather strap and having the watch on in the shower or while swimming. Thanks for your input.
Im not airborne but I am attached to one. I dont know if I would want something that expensive strapped to me. Heard bad stores of things breaking, you know like cell phones, backs, ankles. Last thing you want is something on your T11 to tear your watch off and send it falling 1200 feet down somewhere over Luzon drop zone.

Good luck and All the way!

Thanks for the replies. Thinking on it some; I wouldn't be using this when I jump. My main concern is normal reliability and durability. I mostly drive a desk these days and I have my current watch for those "beater days." I guess I could get used to taking it off for showers. I'm not a fan of the G shock (it's a styling thing). I've used Suunto in the past and like them but I want a watch that doesn't scream "field watch."

Edit: I just noticed this is my 100th post! :jump:

Last edited:
Top Bottom